mbmbmbmbmb
Personal Experience with the game:
2 games

Bias based on winning:
Won 1

Bias based on owning:
None

Brief back story
Send your agents around town to collect valuables. Some of your agents are secret and others are obvious.

1000 meter view:
In Ys (pronunciation unknown), the goal of the game is to get the most victory points via gems and valuables. You get a number of pawns (agents) that have a number on one side and are blank on the other. The numbers range from 0 to 5. At the beginning of the turn, put out two secret agents to determine turn order. Once everyone has you'll flip and the person with the highest number will go first. On your turn you must place one pawn up and one down to different regions on the board. Each region, if won (majority total of your agent numbers) will give you something. You can also put your agents to the gem market which determines how much a particular color of gem will be worth in end game scoring. Once everyone has placed out there pawns you will have one pawn left that gets added to your 2 starting pawns for turn order. The total score here will break ties when figuring out majority in regions. Board scores, reset stuff, and repeat for a few rounds. Once the rounds are done, score final victory points and the winner has the highest total.

Liked:
- I bought this game because I couldn't afford Aladdin's Dragons and it's almost as good or, I might argue, better.
- Blind bidding with open bidding is a great mechanic.
- The board is nice looking and the components are nice.

Didn't Like:
- Character cards are not intuitive in terms of what they do after two plays (the rule book describes them).

What did I learn about playing well:
Nothing.

Rating:
On BGG I gave it 8.5/10.

Real Verdict:
I argue with my wife that a ten rating scale is irrelevant for restaurants. I either won't go back, will go back, or want to go back.
Want to go back surprise

Peter out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this game and liked it at first and then I sold it. Placing the markers each round was kind of fun. But evaluating the regions and handing out all the awards and goodies turned out to be time consuming to the point it felt like the game was being interrupted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls