Steve
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new at this war gaming stuff dabbled on pc console war games forever but, not too much board games until now. I am totally fascinated with anything Roman Army so yes , I picked up this game for that reason only.( It reminded me or History's Channel Battle of Rome game on PSP )My question is: How the heck do you play Avalanche Press' Rome at War Hannibal at Bay 1st edition ? I'm a teacher by trade. Is it me? Or, is the rule book incomprehensible and discombobulated to read? I really want to play this game and there isn't much information online which covers the rules. Any incite would be appreciated.

Regards'
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest you to ask the question in the dedicated forum for Rome At War I: Hannibal at Bay.

Moreover, check outthis pdf, which could prove helpful.

Best luck with your boardgaming adventure

Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
geki wrote:
I'd suggest you to ask the question in the dedicated forum for Rome At War I: Hannibal at Bay.
Better yet, use the red X to mark the thread "wrong forum" and an admin will move this thread there for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Rome At War I: Hannibal at Bay: Rules.

(OP contacted with new Home.)

Yeah you've kind of just jumped into the pool and your at the deep end... sink or swim time. I'd have a look and see if there is a video that will help you out. Wargaming tends to have rather intimidating/baffling rules at first. I'd try to break it down to smaller parts rather than trying to understand how to play the game in a 'oner'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have better luck starting with something simpler, like Commands & Colors: Ancients. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rome At War series isn't especially complex, but it does have a lot of rule sections, and a lot of modifiers to rolls. Get the counters on a map and try moving them around & calculate attack effects before you try a real game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, now I'm excited! You guys are the best! Quick response!
Regards
Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
While that is undoubtedly useful, it was updated to the latest series rules here:
3rd edition rules summary from an original by Kent Reuber (with his permission)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL. And, my very first war board game was Civil War by Avalon Hill purchased at a flea market for $10 a month and a half ago . Followed by Memoir 44 purchased a month ago. Very abstract and easy, very fun. Other games I purchased between then and now are Conflicts of Heroes ATB with some Spanish chits, LOL. This game, R@W. And, Napoleon which my brother in law got me into. He created a monster, now I'm addicted to war games !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Commands & Colors games, mentioned above, are an excellent set of wargames easily accessible by the beginner. This, I have to admit, it a tall step further. But there are many steps more to climb...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, My brother in law wants me to play squad leader with him. I was like , slow down! BTW, I almost bought command and colors. The paper map turned me away. I know its a better game but isn't it like Memoir 44?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
augustus007 wrote:
Yep, My brother in law wants me to play squad leader with him. I was like , slow down!
If it was Squad leader & not ASL it wouldn't be too bad, not so far above Rome at War.
Quote:
BTW, I almost bought command and colors. The paper map turned me away. I kwon its a better game but isn't it like Memoir 44?
The newer versions have a mounted map, if that's a problem to you, only the first edition, I think, had the thin card maps. None of them were 'paper' like proper wargame maps. It is like Memoir 44, in the same way a Ferrari is like a Prius..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep that's what he wants to play, Advanced Squad Leader. Cool, so the newer C&C edition does have a mounted board. Hmm, that's why its more money. LOL Also, the Rome at War 1st Edition I bought was new but, did not come with dice? Is that right? I take it , C&C is way better than Memoir 44? Shoot, I love Memoir 44 from an art teacher's stand point. Real quick to jump into . Nice art work ! Great toys! Very easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
geki wrote:
While that is undoubtedly useful, it was updated to the latest series rules here:
3rd edition rules summary from an original by Kent Reuber (with his permission)

Yes, Thank You. I've downloaded this one before however, it just confused the heck out of me more. LOL And to think I was a Sargent in the Army Reserve for 8 years. ( 88 to 96)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
augustus007 wrote:
Yep that's what he wants to play, Advanced Squad Leader.
That's a very different beast. While an experienced player could introduce you to it with a minimum of pain, it's a huge set of rules. I sold mine off as it was never getting to the table.
Quote:
Cool, so the newer C&C edition does have a mounted board. Hmm, that's why its more money. LOL
That's just the way of the world...
Quote:
Also, the Rome at War 1st Edition I bought was new but, did not come with dice? Is that right?
I can't remember, I bought the first edition (which works with the new rules edition).
Quote:
I take it , C&C is way better than Memoir 44? Shoot, I love Memoir 44 from an art teacher's stand point. Real quick to jump into . Nice art work ! Great toys! Very easy to learn.
CC:A just works far better than Memoir 44 - the game rules fit far better in a melee-centred system with linear formations. Memoir 44 just did not properly represent the interlocking weapon systems and mobile nature of WWII. Decent game, poor simulation. CC:A comes in for a lot of criticism for it's simplicity & level of abstraction, but it consistently produces the same results as far more complex games, in a fraction of the play time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
[q="augustus007"]Yep that's what he wants to play, Advanced Squad Leader.
" That's a very different beast. While an experienced player could introduce you to it with a minimum of pain, it's a huge set of rules. I sold mine off as it was never getting to the table. "

Wow, my brother in law with 35 years experience sold his too . LOL. Now he regrets it. Has dozens of boards (which he had laminated). Now, regrettably, and ironically , he's looking for it on eBay. The same place he sold it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls