Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Did we play this right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Simser
United States
California
flag msg tools
Played Black Fangs Dungeon last night with my son.

#1 First card out out of the gate was a barrier card that summoned Ancient Skeletons at each players location. We easily defeat each one. Since these are Henchmen, can we attempt to close each location? Or were these just conditions of the barrier card? We figured that since it was just the first turn, we'd keep the locations open.

#2 We have 3 of the four locations closed. My son encounters Black Fang (He's playing Merisiel) He has no weapon in his hand so he uses his strength skill of 1d8, plus a blessing of the gods for another 1d8 and discards a card to add 2d6 (Merisiel power, she's alone at the location). I add (playing Hursk) another blessing of the gods for 1d8, discard my short bow for a 1d4 and recharge a card for another 1d4 (Hursk's power).

Overkill to be sure, but we wanted him dead.

What say you

Edit: We did take the Acid check and both passed on BF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoned monsters do none of their text except damage, so no closing or placing on locations or anything else. They could damage others at the same location. It's clearer in the new rulebook (at paizo, not sure here yet).

#2 You did it right as far as the fight was concerned. I don't recall taking an acid check at another location - I don't have the card in front of me, but I'd guess it only affected the location he was at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like two blessings and two weapons on the same check, which is not allowed, correct? Or does that not matter since they were from two different heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Simser
United States
California
flag msg tools
Throknor wrote:
Summoned monsters do none of their text except damage, so no closing or placing on locations or anything else. They could damage others at the same location. It's clearer in the new rulebook (at paizo, not sure here yet).

#2 You did it right as far as the fight was concerned. I don't recall taking an acid check at another location - I don't have the card in front of me, but I'd guess it only affected the location he was at.

I misquoted on Black Fang's text... Before you fight BF, you have to pass a check or receive 1d4 acid damage.

Thank you for the reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb K.
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Since the Ancient Skeletons are summoned and not actually part of the location deck you can't close the location.

2. Sounds like everything you did was within the rules so no problems. As long as you only use one of each card type or power per character which it sounds like you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
Looks like two blessings and two weapons on the same check, which is not allowed, correct? Or does that not matter since they were from two different heroes?

The blessings were from different heroes, so that is ok. Many of the bow-type weapons allow you to play it on another heroes combat check at another location for 1d4. This is allowed as well. Powers (the discard for 2d6 and recharge for 1d4) are completely separate from weapon use - so they did everything right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryker1979 wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:

The blessings were from different heroes, so that is ok. Many of the bow-type weapons allow you to play it on another heroes combat check at another location for 1d4. This is allowed as well. Powers (the discard for 2d6 and recharge for 1d4) are completely separate from weapon use - so they did everything right.

Yep, just reread the rules, I was wrong - my bad. Our group has been unnecessarily handicapping ourselves (though we've still yet to lose).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Simser
United States
California
flag msg tools
pinkymadigan wrote:
Stryker1979 wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:

Yep, just reread the rules, I was wrong - my bad. Our group has been unnecessarily handicapping ourselves (though we've still yet to lose).

Oh believe me, a hand full of dice on a combat check of 12 was way overkill, but it's nice to know that it can be done when needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stile2112 wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
Stryker1979 wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:

Oh believe me, a hand full of dice on a combat check of 12 was way overkill, but it's nice to know that it can be done when needed.

Better overkill than underkill - I can't tell you the number of times I've needed to roll a total 6-7 on 4 big dice and flubbed the roll. Actually happened last night, needed a 14 on 1d12 + 3d6 + 6 - Ezren wound up taking 2 combat damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
Summoned monsters do none of their text except damage, so no closing or placing on locations or anything else.

I don't think this is right. The only text to ignore on summoned monsters is the "You may attempt to close this location" bit. All other text still applies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
-
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
Throknor wrote:
Summoned monsters do none of their text except damage, so no closing or placing on locations or anything else.

I don't think this is right. The only text to ignore on summoned monsters is the "You may attempt to close this location" bit. All other text still applies.
Correct. But you also have to ignore scenario effects that tell you to do something with defeated henchmen (Them Ogres ain't right and Into the Mountains both have these). And you don't put them back into a deck even if a card explicitly says to (e.g. if you cast Sanctuary on a summoned henchman).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Simser
United States
California
flag msg tools
brayle wrote:
Throknor wrote:

Fount it:

If the summoned card is a villain or henchman, defeating it does not allow you to close a location or win the scenario — ignore any such text on those cards. Summoned cards are not part of any location deck.

So we just had to defeat the summond Ancient Skeletons and continue on until we encountered a location henchmen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stile2112 wrote:
Played Black Fangs Dungeon last night with my son.

#1 First card out out of the gate was a barrier card that summoned Ancient Skeletons at each players location. We easily defeat each one. Since these are Henchmen, can we attempt to close each location? Or were these just conditions of the barrier card? We figured that since it was just the first turn, we'd keep the locations open.

#2 We have 3 of the four locations closed. My son encounters Black Fang (He's playing Merisiel) He has no weapon in his hand so he uses his strength skill of 1d8, plus a blessing of the gods for another 1d8 and discards a card to add 2d6 (Merisiel power, she's alone at the location). I add (playing Hursk) another blessing of the gods for 1d8, discard my short bow for a 1d4 and recharge a card for another 1d4 (Hursk's power).

Overkill to be sure, but we wanted him dead.

What say you :)

Edit: We did take the Acid check and both passed on BF.

Black fangs text requires the acid check for each character at his location..i think.. So unless harsk was with merisel, no need for him to make that check. And if harsk was with merisel, she couldnt have used the discard ability and i dont think he could have used his power either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
Throknor wrote:

I'm covering all summoned cards, including monsters during an Ambush (for example). So Ogres that deal damage to everyone at the location will hit everyone, but if a monster says 'If undefeated place on top of the location deck' you ignore it. It didn't come from a location, it does not go back to one.

It is specifically addressed in the FAQ, I'm pretty sue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
brayle wrote:
Throknor wrote:

I'm covering all summoned cards, including monsters during an Ambush (for example). So Ogres that deal damage to everyone at the location will hit everyone, but if a monster says 'If undefeated place on top of the location deck' you ignore it. It didn't come from a location, it does not go back to one.

It is specifically addressed in the FAQ, I'm pretty sue.

Okay. But I think the way you initially expressed this was misleading. You said, "Summoned monsters do none of their text, except damage." And technically, that is not correct. Actually they do all of their text, except they do not allow you to close your location (which only appears on henchmen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stile2112 wrote:
So we just had to defeat the summond Ancient Skeletons and continue on until we encountered a location henchmen.
Just a tip, since you mentioned this: if you're told to summon and encounter a bane, Merisiel can use her power to evade the encounter. So for most "horde" barriers, Merisiel doesn't even have to fight.

The only catch you have to look out for is that some barriers are only defeated if all the summoned monsters are defeated, and evading a monster does not defeat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls