mbmbmbmbmb
Personal Experience with the game:
3 games on cardboard, 10+ games online on SlothNinja

Bias based on winning:
Won 2

Bias based on owning:
None

Brief back story
Tammany hall politics in the early days of New York. It's all about influencing the immigrants, right?

1000 meter view:
Tammany hall is an area control game where you battle for political prowess in terms of victory points. Over 4 political terms (each term has 4 years) your job is to influence different regions of the city to try and win elections there. In a year, on your turn, you can put your bosses to regions, or put one of your bosses and an immigrant to regions (gaining a favor token from that immigrant type: English, Irish, Italian, and German colored like you might stereotype). You can also attempt to slander you opponents using one of your slander tokens (eliminates opponents bosses). Finally, on your turn you can use a power based on your job in city hall. Once the everyone has done this for four years, elections happen in each region. If you have bosses in a region you are in the election. You and opponents also in the region get 1 vote per boss in the region. Next, everyone secretly selects from their favor tokens of ethnicities currently residing in the region where each favor is an additional vote. Reveal and determine who wins spending all favor tokens bid. Go through all regions in a set order determining who gets elected (1 victory point per region). Once all regions are done, the person with the most regions becomes mayor and assigns city hall jobs. Also, if you are elected in regions with the majority of a particular ethnicity then you will get 3 favor tokens from them. After 4 elections person with the most victory points wins.

Liked:
- Board, box, and pieces are nice. Real nice.
- Game and theme fit well.
- This is backstabbing political simulation at its best.
- Game is simple for the challenge of winning.

Didn't Like:
- Being slandered. I never did that...
- Wondering how wrong it is to make stereotypical comments during the game when the scots aren't represented to be equally commented on.

What did I learn about playing well:
Try not to get trapped early.

Rating:
On BGG I gave it 9.5/10. (Why not a 10? Not sure).

Real Verdict:
I argue with my wife that a ten rating scale is irrelevant for restaurants. I either won't go back, will go back, or want to go back.
Want to go back

Peter out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the slander when used sneakily. I've seen a perfect slander just wipe a guy out of two wards. Cha-ching!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Huter
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drpaj wrote:
10+ games online on SlothNinja

Of course, I gotta thumb a mention of my site. I'm glad you enjoyed TH despite 10+ games on my site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
jbhuter6041 wrote:
drpaj wrote:
10+ games online on SlothNinja

Of course, I gotta thumb a mention of my site. I'm glad you enjoyed TH despite 10+ games on my site.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Gotta love SlothNinja. Although I am a bit bummed lately for not pulling off a single victory in the final round of the Tammany Hall tournament, Q4!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Huter
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
Gotta love SlothNinja. Although I am a bit bummed lately for not pulling off a single victory in the final round of the Tammany Hall tournament, Q4!

Say nice things about me and/or my site, get thumbed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls