24 Posts

Ascending Empires» Forums » General

Subject: Make my own copy? Since the game is impossible to find anywhere rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cobbs c
msg tools
mb
It's sad when a publisher abandons a game like this so quickly. Z-Man games even removed every trace of it from their website! It's like it never even existed.

I've decided to see if it's possible to make my own copy at home. Does anyone see any potential obstacles that'd prevent someone from doing this? Currently it would seem one would just need to make:

- a board (or simply lay out planets on the table?)
- large discs for planets
- a few different sizes of beads or wood discs of different colors as ships
- space marine meeples (cubes, actual meeples, or anything else)
- cubrs for research facilities and cities etc
- tech-tree sheets

With access to a printing service on a student campus and decent stock, is this feasible?

Also, since z-man games removed all resources of this game from their website, could I kindly ask for a pdf of the game's rulebook? And perhaps a scan of the planet images and tech trees? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep hoping FFG will get the rights and publish a new version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be fairly easy to make a copy. The only hard part might be the planet tokens and ship tokens (if you want to use the original shapes for the ships). As for the board, the planets need to be stationary and removable, so the best option would to be to cut the holes in a sheet of whatever you make the board out of.

I still have a full sheet of stickers I could scan and post. I'll also post the rulebook when I get home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cobbs c
msg tools
mb
That would be amazing!

Currently I'm surfing etsy, you can find 1-2 inch wooden discs, which could be used as the planets.

Could you maybe give me a measurement for the planet discs?
I'm aware the size of the ships don't matter as much - people seem quick to use different kinds of tokens to use as ships (ie glass beads), so I may just go out and get some of those.

A scan of one of the tech sheets would be cool too (only low res ones exist of the english tech sheet).

I'm also thinking of doing a cube-based system, where:
1 cube = a troop
2 stacked cubes = a colony
3 stacked cubes = a city

and then i'll have a special piece for the research stations.

I think that system makes some logical sense and should work fine, so long as you still limit the amount of all of the structures each player can build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tullis
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelockian wrote:
I keep hoping FFG will get the rights and publish a new version...

Man, if FFG got the rights and reprinted it, I'd probably rebuy the game just to own that version.

Either way, this is ridiculous. Ascending Empires is one of the best board games in my collection. It's unfair the way Z-Man abandoned it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game but my group hates flicking games. Oh well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the rules. The scans will have to come later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jb1v15u91dv8tfk/Ascending_Empires_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cobbs c
msg tools
mb
Thanks! That's awesome.

Any other thoughts as to how to build the game? I may borrow components from Settlers of Catan (cities and such), but I still need a lot of little bits as this game has a few. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll measure all the bits this weekend, but if it were me and you have a miter saw, using dowels would be quick and easy; just slice off a bunch of discs. Use about a 2" wide one for the planets, smaller ones for the cities and colonies (but different lengths) and ships, and cubes for the research stations.

Troops could be meeples or any little plastic figures. VPs can be anything. Range rulers could either be chipboard or maybe some company like Litko would have something if they are standard sizes. Tech tree tokens can just be thin discs as well.

If you need it, I should be able to get you measurements for the placement of the holes/planets on the game board as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cobbs c
msg tools
mb
Thanks! I'll likely make it boardless at first, as least for now. All of the other components are much more important to sort out first.

Perhaps I'll buy a game for 20$ that has all of the pieces I need. 2 player should be fine for now (less pieces needed). I don't know what game would have enough kinds of pieces of this project though.

I need the following:
troops 14
labs 8
colonies 4
cities 4

The ships will likely be glass drops. I have them in green and blue, which should be good for a 2 player game. As for the bigger battleships, I have no idea how I'll sort that out. I'll perhaps just use one of the planetary discs as a big ship. But I don't know where I'm going to get big discs like that locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need a copy of the rules in PDF form e-mailed to you, I have a copy saved in my computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Planet Token: 1 7/8" diameter x 3/8" tall
Long Range Ruler: 1.5"
Short Range Ruler: 7/8"

Here is a link to my Dropbox folder with the scans of the sticker sheet (hack job) and the player board.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32q04jafg4gcrel/puFkP4smke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with flat glass beads, very cheap in any hobby shop. They flick much better than the small ships, and look nice to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Burgess
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:
Planet Token: 1 7/8" diameter x 3/8" tall
Long Range Ruler: 1.5"
Short Range Ruler: 7/8"

Thank you for posting this! I too am looking to create my own copy.
Can you please provide the dimensions of the ships and the measurements for the placement of the holes on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is available here in Sweden for like 50 EUR or 60 US, as I saw one new box yesterday on the shelves at Alphaspel.se (not in their online store though for some reason - probably missed cataloguing it, so give them a call or email).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Godfrey
United Kingdom
St Austell
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's been a while but any updates on this? It's a game I'd love to get hold but is near impossible to find. Making my own might be a fun project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just discovered this game and can't find it anywhere .

I really want to thank Disgustipater for providing the files and info. Hopefully I can put together a homemade version of my own. Just wondering is there a scan of each of the board pieces located somewhere? I'm thinking of trying to make a board(s) out of wood, foam core or something else and would like it to match the actual game board layout if possible.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Godfrey
United Kingdom
St Austell
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
I just discovered this game and can't find it anywhere .

I really want to thank Disgustipater for providing the files and info. Hopefully I can put together a homemade version of my own. Just wondering is there a scan of each of the board pieces located somewhere? I'm thinking of trying to make a board(s) out of wood, foam core or something else and would like it to match the actual game board layout if possible.

Thanks!

This is the template I used when making mine.
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1277741/ascending-empires?si...

I can't take any credit for it but it works a treat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Godfella wrote:

Hi Pete,

Just wondered if you had any photos of your effort, and whether you'd be keen to make another? I'm a Cornishman myself, so down that way all the time!

Cheers
steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Godfrey
United Kingdom
St Austell
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steviebwoy wrote:
Godfella wrote:

Hi Pete,

Just wondered if you had any photos of your effort, and whether you'd be keen to make another? I'm a Cornishman myself, so down that way all the time!

Cheers
steve

Hi Steve,

The only picture I have is from before I applied the layers of polyurethane (which was probably the hardest part!!). If you want another of it now I'll try and take one.

To be honest, it took me a long time to make. It was a bit of side project for about a year. I made it double sided with a makeshift Crokinole board on the other side. It plays really well though! Happy to talk you through how I did it but probably not the best person to make one for you. Sorry!

That being said, if you're ever in Cornwall and fancy a game let me know! We meet as a group every fortnight in St Austell but I'm always up for getting some games in at other points too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Godfella wrote:
steviebwoy wrote:
Godfella wrote:

Hi Pete,

Cheers
steve

Hi Steve,

The only picture I have is from before I applied the layers of polyurethane (which was probably the hardest part!!). If you want another of it now I'll try and take one.

To be honest, it took me a long time to make. It was a bit of side project for about a year. I made it double sided with a makeshift Crokinole board on the other side. It plays really well though! Happy to talk you through how I did it but probably not the best person to make one for you. Sorry!

That being said, if you're ever in Cornwall and fancy a game let me know! We meet as a group every fortnight in St Austell but I'm always up for getting some games in at other points too.

Hi Pete, many thanks for the photo - that looks superb!

I think I've got a bit of a plan in mind now. I think I'll go with a 2 layered board, with the thicker supportive layer underneath. That way I can cut my holes into the top layer for the planet holes etc. Is this what you did?

My only other question would be, if you're making the whole thing from scratch, how did you make the tokens for the planets and spaceships? I've seen a few UK stockists of generic game pieces, but nothing quite suits. I'm also not too keen on having glass beads either, as I think they detract from the theme.

Finally, I've found a nice hi-res rulebook, but I can't find hi-res player boards or sticker sheets. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Godfrey
United Kingdom
St Austell
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using 2 layers of ply makes a lot of sense with the need for the planet holes. Because I was making it double sided it would have needed 3 layers which I thought would be a bit much. The place I work also had an old desk top that was being thrown out that was about 20mm thick. This was just a piece of MDF that had maybe 2mm wood veneer on either side. Not perfect but it was free! I simply sanded that down and used a forstner bit to cut the planet holes. It's the same tool that is recommended for cutting the central hole in a crokinole board. I cut the planet holes 5mm deep.

For the planets I bought a length of 38mm dowel which I cut into 25mm thick discs. I then painted these black and made my own custom stickers for the planets.

For the ships and buildings I couldn't find anything ideal with a UK stockist so I put an order in with http://www.spielematerial.de/en/
I can have a look and let you know the measurements or what exactly I ordered if it helps.

I re-themed the game to Star Trek so again made custom stickers for the different ships etc. You can have a look at that here https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1273855/star-trek-re-theme-...

I made custom player boards too but to be honest while they're printed and usable I'm not 100% happy and when I have time I'll probably tweak/re-do them.

The only thing I haven't properly made is the range ruler which at the moment I've just cut from card and does the job.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Godfella wrote:
Using 2 layers of ply makes a lot of sense with the need for the planet holes. Because I was making it double sided it would have needed 3 layers which I thought would be a bit much. The place I work also had an old desk top that was being thrown out that was about 20mm thick. This was just a piece of MDF that had maybe 2mm wood veneer on either side. Not perfect but it was free! I simply sanded that down and used a forstner bit to cut the planet holes. It's the same tool that is recommended for cutting the central hole in a crokinole board. I cut the planet holes 5mm deep.

For the planets I bought a length of 38mm dowel which I cut into 25mm thick discs. I then painted these black and made my own custom stickers for the planets.

For the ships and buildings I couldn't find anything ideal with a UK stockist so I put an order in with http://www.spielematerial.de/en/
I can have a look and let you know the measurements or what exactly I ordered if it helps.

I re-themed the game to Star Trek so again made custom stickers for the different ships etc. You can have a look at that here https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1273855/star-trek-re-theme-...

I made custom player boards too but to be honest while they're printed and usable I'm not 100% happy and when I have time I'll probably tweak/re-do them.

The only thing I haven't properly made is the range ruler which at the moment I've just cut from card and does the job.

Hope that helps!

Ah mate, that's super helpful, thank you! If you could let me know the bits you grabbed for the ships and buildings that would be spectacular.

What size forstner bit did you go with by the way? I guess I'll have to get a decent polyurethane too, any recommended brands?

Thanks again for all your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Godfrey
United Kingdom
St Austell
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steviebwoy wrote:
Godfella wrote:

Hope that helps!

Ah mate, that's super helpful, thank you! If you could let me know the bits you grabbed for the ships and buildings that would be spectacular.

What size forstner bit did you go with by the way? I guess I'll have to get a decent polyurethane too, any recommended brands?

Thanks again for all your help!

If you go with two layers of ply I wouldn't worry about a forstner bit and just use a typical spade bit or a circular saw as you'll cut the whole way through. The forstner bit is only needed if you only want to cut part way. Either way it needs to be a 40mm bit.

For the pieces:
Starships - I can't find a link but they were 15x6mm discs
Battleships - http://www.spielematerial.de/en/discs-25x7-mm.html
Troops - http://www.spielematerial.de/en/backpackers-soldiers.html
Research facilities - http://www.spielematerial.de/en/cube-8-mm.html
Colonies - http://www.spielematerial.de/en/discs-10x4-mm.html
Cities - http://www.spielematerial.de/en/cylinder-10x15-mm.html

I just used Ronseal Polyurethane. The thing with the varnish is to use a good quality brush. Give it time to really harden then sand between each layer. Be especially careful on the first layer!
For the last layer I finished off with car scratch remover and then wax.

Oh and I forgot to say with the board that I finished it off with an oak trim. Gives it a nice look but it also stops the board from warping at all by giving it a frame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls