Hide
12 Posts

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Winning with the dark side rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Kolberg
msg tools
I have played this game for a few months now and I just can't see how the dark side can win consistently without having the basic 8 (2x counsel 2x Fall 2x Executor 2x Emperor) and two of something else. Yea the Navy can win if you draw the right cards early on but if you don't your screwed. Scum and Villainy just can't seem to pull out any kind of victory. So can the Dark side win on a consistent basis without the basic 8?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have with a variety of configurations (some Navy with emphasis on Troopers, some emphasis on Capital Ships, even found a Scum & Villainy one that did well and I usually struggle with that set). Maybe my opponents just suck?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Kimball
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchell2480 wrote:
I have played this game for a few months now and I just can't see how the dark side can win consistently without having the basic 8 (2x counsel 2x Fall 2x Executor 2x Emperor) and two of something else.

It comes down mostly to playstyle and meta, I think. If you are someone who mostly enjoys control decks then Sith will be the only one that really makes sense.

mitchell2480 wrote:
Yea the Navy can win if you draw the right cards early on but if you don't your screwed.

Interesting, that sounds much more like Sith to me than Navy. The Navy decks I play usually have the advantage of being more consistent than Sith, but can't dominate quite as brutally with the perfect draw.
Make sure with Navy that you DO NOT attack for the first half of the game. Generally you build up board presence until the dial hits 6, then each turn you ask yourself "can I win by blowing up objectives this turn?".

mitchell2480 wrote:
Scum and Villainy just can't seem to pull out any kind of victory.

Scum is really hard. I won two games last night with a mostly Scum deck by swarming the board with unit damage and tactics and just locking their board down until I won. But Scum is definitely the most underpowered faction right now.

mitchell2480 wrote:
So can the Dark side win on a consistent basis without the basic 8?

In summary: Navy definitely can once you understand how to build and play them, Scum not so much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mitchell2480 wrote:
I have played this game for a few months now and I just can't see how the dark side can win consistently without having the basic 8 (2x counsel 2x Fall 2x Executor 2x Emperor) and two of something else. Yea the Navy can win if you draw the right cards early on but if you don't your screwed. Scum and Villainy just can't seem to pull out any kind of victory. So can the Dark side win on a consistent basis without the basic 8?

Imperial Navy can do the job...

Pure Scum can do fiddly squat. They need much help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Kolberg
msg tools
[/q]
Interesting, that sounds much more like Sith to me than Navy. The Navy decks I play usually have the advantage of being more consistent than Sith, but can't dominate quite as brutally with the perfect draw.
Make sure with Navy that you DO NOT attack for the first half of the game. Generally you build up board presence until the dial hits 6, then each turn you ask yourself "can I win by blowing up objectives this turn?".

There's a lot of little guys for the Sith that can hold down the fort till you get the big boys out (Palp, Vader Exec)
where with the Navy if you start with some troopers they only do you good if you win the edge battle, which I find difficult to win with the Navy. Here's the ultimate question, would you go 8-2, 7-3 with the majority being Navy in a tournament?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Kolberg
msg tools
Generally you build up board presence until the dial hits 6, then each turn you ask yourself "can I win by blowing up objectives this turn?".

But that is a good point because I was usually attacking from turn 2, I need to revaluate when to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes that is really common mistake! Why attack if it doesnt lead you to victory?? Well besides sending an unoposed weinie when you have some spare or an unoposed tactic icon...

Don't trade off objectives with the light side cause of course you're gonna lose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Scum gets a lot of hate, but have you tried running them with 2 x Lucrative Contract? Couple 'em with such gems as Corporate Exploitation, Across the Jundland Wastes, Feeding the Pit and Jabba's Reach and yeah, you can bog down the good guys with the right deck build. Not saying you will win all the time, but you can win a fair share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mpappy wrote:
Scum gets a lot of hate, but have you tried running them with 2 x Lucrative Contract? Couple 'em with such gems as Corporate Exploitation, Across the Jundland Wastes, Feeding the Pit and Jabba's Reach and yeah, you can bog down the good guys with the right deck build. Not saying you will win all the time, but you can win a fair share.

-Cards that give bonuses if you have captured cards.
-Cards that capture cards.
-Resources.

A good Scums deck would require all 3.

And there really is no way to pull this off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My one friend I play a lot with absolutely hates my Scum deck for one card: Reversal of Fate. Brilliant card, kept him guessing all game long. And I won all three games we played that night

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reversal of the fate can really ruin the day!

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I win with Scum all the time. Took a while to get them to the point that I understand them but they are my fave DS faction.

Too many people hate on Scum instead of giving them a real chance. All 3 DS can and do win games and have winning decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.