1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best board games where players don't share a board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bahamut Dragons
msg tools
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some good games where players play either cooperatively or competitively, but do not share a board. Examples of this would be Guess Who and Battleship, both of which can just be played with your own board. Magic The Gathering would not be a good example since the cards are too complicated and you still need to keep track of both sides of the game.

[UPDATE:] I'm looking for a game with no shared assets, so Alhambra wouldn't work since we use the same piles to build our areas.

Looking forward to hearing out what people propose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Don Quixote?

Or else games like 7 Wonders, Among the Stars and Alhambra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization..... the main board is mainly a place to keep track of how many points each player has in various levels, and the card layout for drafting (although there is a level of interactiveness in grabbing a card before someone else does). However, that's comparable to 7 Wonders IMO

Otherwise, the game is mainly played on one's own board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia also works. Each player is trying to build their own city. There's a central offer board, but that's about it. Some say it's light, but there are a lot of interactions to watch.

At the Gates of Loyang. Other than the card selection phase it's all played on individual boards, there is some rare interaction across boards though.

That's about all that i can think of.

Smash Up? Bohnanza?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to answer this question without knowing more about what you may be looking for. For example, there are myriad party games with no board at all. Do those fit the bill, or are you looking for a strategy game? How many players? What kind of things do you like?

P.S. Welcome to BGG!meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chris gave an excellent suggestion with bohnanza. +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Commerce
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Levine
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cities has nothing shared, and no need to look at your opponent's board.
FITS has a shared single pile of cards, but it's just a randomizer to determine what piece to play next, and no need to look at your opponent's board.
The Princes of Florence has separate boards, but would require tracking how many of certain things are left and what can be auctioned (and the auctions themselves, but those are verbal). It has a small-medium need to look at your opponents board/state
Dominion has a shared area/requires tracking how many of each card are left, but there's no need to look at your opponent's deck/area
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age has no shared area, but you probably want to see your opponents boards for the sake of knowing how close the game is to ending [5 developments/all the monuments built]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
mbmbmb
What about Discovery?

Each player keeps track of the game on their own hidden board as they seek to find the treasure first. You have to track the position of the other player too as it is initially played blind until you work out where you are.

It's not very well known as I don't believe it was widely distributed but it's worth seeking out and I think matches your criteria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruesailmana wrote:
Maybe Don Quixote?

Or else games like 7 Wonders, Among the Stars and Alhambra

Another vote for Alhambra though I'd definitely go whole hog and get the expansions, Alhambra: Big Box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Series akin to Battleship in that manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico. There is a common "board" but it's just a holding area for stuff that's available to all players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if you take stuff from a communal board, that counts as sharing a board. Either way, Factory Fun has individual player boards and the only interaction is taking tiles from the middle. It's as close to multiplayer solitaire as any game that I like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
East Longmeadow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clarification -
The OP is seems to be looking for things that are kind of like multiplayer solitaire. The two examples they give are games where you are strategically focused almost exclusively on one board, while your opponent is focused on another, with little shared strategic space. They give Magic as a negative example as, although players have separate tableaus, there is a lot of interaction and requires frequent reading of the other players tableau.

Some suggestions that don't fit -
Castles of Burgundy - has shared central board
Agricola - same
Suburbia - has a central purchasing area, shared goals and many tiles that depend on other peoples boards
Alhambra - similarly, has shared central board and goals/scoring depends on other players boards
7 Wonders - fair amount of interaction between players tableaus

Dominion is the most fitting thing that comes to my mind - although there is still a shared "market," one can easily play largely ignoring the other player, although attack cards/reaction cards do factor in to an extent.

PS - Bahamut - great screenname
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
intrigue city

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hale
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Steam Park maybe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest Augustus, but the fact that you draft cards from a pool makes it interactive during turn prep.
But I did find this GeekList; maybe it will help:
True Multiplayer Solitaire Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6707/age-of-mythology-the...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cities

has variable difficulty, can also be played solo, can be played in multiples of 4 with purchase of more game-sets, inexpensive

Tisby if you can find a copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. I think this game does exactly what the OP asks for. Simple dice game, no interaction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yahtzee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attention! Chat lunatique!
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to kick it old skool, try Kriegspiel chess. It requires three complete chess sets, two player screens, and a referee. I got my tuchus handed to me once when I tried to play. Definitely a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
Love is YOU
badge
mbmbmb
The Grinch wrote:
Puerto Rico. There is a common "board" but it's just a holding area for stuff that's available to all players.

This is what I thought of (though I prefer other games). Also +1 for Galaxy Trucker.

I also depends how flexible you are on what a "board" is -- in several games (such as hearts), your hand is your "board", and you pool in the center. In Old Maid, you have a hand but no center display of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |