Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Olson
United States
Traverse City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In one of my recent 3 player games 75% percent of the turns had all three players in the brig. Another 20% of the turns with 2 in the brig, 4% with only one in and the about 2 turns with nobody in the brig.

It started with me soft revealed as president ellen arrest ordered one of the players after the other was sent to the brig due to a crisis. I became PresiCAGmiral, but it was not to be NUzarek had a mutiny card to send me to the brig. We spent 10 rounds trying to bust out only to thwart eachother. Finally i got out with political prowess. It was one turn before nuzarek used popular influence and was lucky enough to get arrest order. back to the brig. 10 rounds later, with over 50 turns with only one jump icon. using a combination of jury rigged , scientific research and network computers and a 5 value blue starbuck busted out. or so she thought. I had 2 personal vices(i think thats its name) and played them both into the check. giving everyone treachury and her 2 mutiny cards.

At this point we considered ending the game as a draw, but decided against it.

We picked it up the next day. with 2 distance we had played for hours already. My turn while all this had been going on i had been alternating trying to bust out and drawing a quorum. I finnally hit paydirt with presidential pardon. but as soon as it came up to karas turn she used the mutiny card handpicked via nuzarek 1PT to roll a die 4 or less admiral would be sent to the brig at this point we all wanted it to fail, but it didn't.

At this point we called it a draw, and ended the dissapointing game

I wish i was making this up, but i am not, is there any ways to fix games like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you not reveal while stuck in the brig?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Silver
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
C'mon You Loons!
badge
United FC! -----------The Team for Me! ---- Minnesota! ----------- L-O-V-E! -------------
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple things you could have done to rectify the situation:

1) Don't play 3 player BSG

2) If you've soft revealed and find yourself in the brig, do everyone a favor and reveal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdrsils wrote:

This would be my recommendation. I love BSG but would never play it with less than 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xanthedragon wrote:

I wish i was making this up, but i am not, is there any ways to fix games like this?

Why did you not reveal? I would assume you could have won the game at that point with both of them in the brig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Chua
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is anything to 'fix' in the same way that there is nothing to 'fix' about a game of the Settlers of Catan where the first 10 rolls are two and someone is the only one who can build first and expand into all the good areas.

I think part of the reason was significant sub-optimal play by you as the cylon. While I do appreciate not wanting to reveal when you have a title/s, you were in a great position to reveal when all of you were in the brig. That you did not was a major reason for your disappointing game. You revealing means that until they get out, you have significant power to hurt the humans every third turn. It isn't clear which combinations you used, but if you were playing with the CFB, this would be even greater incentive to reveal in that situation.

Stick with the game - as others have indicated, 5 players is generally seen as the optimum number for the game. If you get in a similar situation, remember that the point as a cylon is to hurt the humans - at that stage, no crisis cards meaning no jump prep for the humans also means no potential for anything to go wrong through crisis skill checks and choices for you either.

And there are no such things as draws in BSG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xanthedragon wrote:
10 rounds later, with over 50 turns with only one jump icon.

That's crazy. Seems like someone would have killed themself in real life at that point. You're the only one who had the option in the game. At least it would have gotten things moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
I love BSG but would never play it with less than 5.
Btw, Daybreak has made 4-player games a viable option (either CL with Motives or Mutineer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
xanthedragon wrote:
I had 2 personal vices(i think thats its name) and played them both into the check. giving everyone treachury and her 2 mutiny cards.

Only one of each Skill Check ability can be resolved per check, so she should have only drawn 1 Mutiny card. And if you were still in the Brig (it sounds like you were?), you should have only been allowed to play one card anyway. Also, you cannot play Presidential Pardon on yourself, which I assume is what you mean by hitting paydirt. So I think you need to do a good rules review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the above, dont play with mutiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would reveal if there were a lot of cylon ships on the MGB. Otherwise, it's nice to stick crisis cards where they can't play more than one card into, even if it may give them jump icons (since you mentioned Mutiny and that's a Daybreak thing).

I'm a big skeptic in where the odds of DD helping any Brig skill check should've evened things out sooner than later.

But pretty much rules-wise, make sure:
-2 Personal Vices in the same skill check, you only resolve one of them since they're the same type!
-You can't play Pres. Pardon on yourself

RedShark92 wrote:
cmdrsils wrote:

This would be my recommendation. I love BSG but would never play it with less than 5.
Not to be counter-presumptuous, but I wouldn't let one bad experience sour the 3p experience. next thing you know, 2 humans are stuck in the brig in a 5p game and the same criticisms ensue.

And yeah, there are folks on BGG who can only get 5p games going twice a year, if at all, so despite the odd man out, I'd still take 3p, 4p, 6p, or even 7p games of BSG if it meant getting more games in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Not to be counter-presumptuous, but I wouldn't let one bad experience sour the 3p experience.

That's just my particular preference. Not just for the brigging thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
xanthedragon wrote:
I had 2 personal vices(i think thats its name) and played them both into the check. giving everyone treachury and her 2 mutiny cards.
I think you might have played that wrong. Isn't only one 'personal vices' supposed to be resolved per skillcheck?
I don't think you're allowed to play 2 of them to auto-brig the current player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
xanthedragon wrote:
I finnally hit paydirt with presidential pardon
You might have played that wrong, too.
Read the wording on the 'presidential pardon' card carefully.
I'm fairly sure the president can't use it on themself, it's only to get another player out of the brig.

Wouldn't really make sense thematically either

President Roslin, you are under arrest!

Oh ok, that's interesting. Well, seeing as I am still president, I hereby pardon myself! ...so you have to let me out now, OK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
-You can't play Pres. Pardon on yourself
This.

With Daybreak you can try to get the correct Mutiny card to escape the brig. So, activate the brig check, then play the Vices on it to get Mutinu yourself. Because you're in the brig already, you take another, discard one, and are left with one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Olson
United States
Traverse City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was president in the brig, and if i were to Stay out i would get all three titles. If i had revealed they would most likely bust out
but it sounds like a few of the rules would have shortened the game had we known them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some characters can still play a fairly normal human game in the brig. If you're a Military Leader, you can still use Executive Order and Launch Scout. The only change is that you can't activate other locations, and you contribute less to each skill check.

Unfortunately, a Pilot stuck in the brig is not as lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls