Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find this in the rules or the forum:

I will use the term "ship", which we all know are dice...

I have four ships. Knowing this, I terraform a colony - I now have three ships for next turn. The next player discards a plasma cannon and destroys another of my ships - one that has a value of six and is blocking him from collecting ore.

I now have two ships available for the next turn. Is this legal?

This becomes truly problematic if someone discards another cannon before my turn - I am now down to one ship and cannot build another.

It seems as though the intent of the rules - including the wording on the plasma cannon card - is that a player can never be taken below a total of three ships. By that logic, the plasma cannon use I suggested above would be illegal.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feldmafx wrote:
I now have two ships available for the next turn. Is this legal?
It seems as though the intent of the rules - including the wording on the plasma cannon card - is that a player can never be taken below a total of three ships. By that logic, the plasma cannon use I suggested above would be illegal.

Correct. Minimum of three ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That was fast! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feldmafx wrote:
The next player discards a plasma cannon and destroys another of my ships - one that has a value of six and is blocking him from collecting ore.
Thoughts?

The other player is forced into only being able to "Plasma Cannon" your ship at the Terraforming spot (which you are still currently blocking) because of the Minimum 3-ship rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The newest edition of the rules includes this example and prevents the person from using their Plasma Cannon on you if it would take you to less than three ships on your next turn. I got them from Game Salute's web site: http://gamesalute.com/games/files/rules1.pdf

Technically speaking the first edition of the rules didn't prevent this (you just couldn't use the Plasma Cannon unless a player had more than three ships on the board), but it was amended in the second edition to how they intended it to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note (not trying to hijack the thread, I promise), everyone keeps referring to a "minimum of three ships". I can't find anywhere in the rules where it states that you are not allowed to have less than three ships.

I completely agree with it being the intent of the rules, and that I can't think of a way to get below three ships, but does it actually say it anywhere? It's a great way to summarize the rules (at least as they currently stand, who knows if an expansion will let somebody drop down lower than three), but I don't think it's actually a rule.

Perhaps I'm being to nit-picky. =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't a blanket statement in the rules to that effect but there ought to be: no game effect may be used if it would bring a player below 3 available ships by the beginning of the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The PDF copy of the rules I have is from 2010 and says on p.14

Quote:
The target player must have more than three ships of their color on the board. The Relic Ship does not count toward this tally.

The Terraforming Station rules (p.9) also say you can't go below three ships.

I assumed based on those, that a minimum of three ships was required at all times, since those are really the only two things that destroy ships and 3 dice are needed for some docks right from the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls