Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Mission cards just have Goals and Rewards, but there are a number of Mission and Event cards with Fail effects and continuing effects (above their Goal). I have a couple of questions about their timing about which I'm hoping someone has some insight.

1. When do Fail effects occur? As soon as the player demonstrates he cannot or chooses not to succeed at the Event? Or does this happen as part of the End of Turn phase? For example, if there are two cards in the Mission Area after an Event with a Fail effect is flipped, can the player satisfy the Goal of the other card before he attempts the Event that was just flipped? Or must the Event be attempted first?

2. Can an Event card with a Fail effect be replaced with another Mission card flipped from the Space Deck? That is, if there are two cards in the Mission Area, one of which has a Fail effect (as in the example above), can a player perform an Explore to remove this card and thus avoid the Fail effect? Or does avoiding it constitute Failing it?

3. Several Mission and Event cards have both Flip effects and continuing effects. Am I correct in assuming that only the Flip effect affects the current player but that the continuing effect could affect both the current and later players? For example, any continuing effects that begin with "At the start of your turn..." would not affect the current player (at least, not until later turns) while those that begin with "When a player plays..." would affect him.

Thanks in advance for any clarifications!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I don't think any missions have a fail effect, only Events. This is an important distinction as Events are resolved differently and I think some of your questions indicate that you are not doing this correctly. If an Event flips, you must resolve it immediately. You can play cards from your hand to meet the event goals, but otherwise you cannot do anything else. (No purchases, no healing your ship.) You either pass or fail the event and the relevant effect happens immediately. Thus, Events cannot sit in the Mission area. It is impossible complete both a Mission and an Event on the same turn*. You get one explore action per turn. If you use that explore action to flip a card and that card is an Event, you no longer have an explore action available to complete a mission.

2) No. Again, events require immediate resolution. You cannot choose to not encounter the event. If you flip the event, its yours. You must take it. You must resolve it (pass or fail).

3) Flip effects vary, so there is no easy way to answer this. Unless otherwise stated, they apply only to the person who flipped them, but some cards will say otherwise. For example, "each player gains an infection" obviously applies to each player. Without that qualifier, only the active player would get the infection. Continuing effects sitting in the mission area don't belong to any given person. Thus they apply to whoever is currently the active player. So something like "at the start of your turn, gain an infection" means that as each player starts his turn (thus becoming the active player) s/he gains an infection every turn until somebody makes that mission go away. I don't recall a "When a player plays..." effect, but this would be particularly interesting during a battle as it would affect all players as they play cards during a battle resolution.

* There is a bizarre exception to this using Diplomatic Negotiations, but the point here is that flipping an event exhausts your supply of explore actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls