Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't played any games yet, play a few games first. Any potential imbalances only pop up when players attain at least some experience.

3 player game is imbalanced by default in any game like this. Either two players ally against a third, or two players fight between each other while the third prospers. There is no simple way around this.

4 player game has a slight problem that one player (Baratheon) has a much easier time winning if the other players let him. Good negotiation fixes this, but you can also use some variants. My personal recommendation is - if you're gonna play the game often with just 4 players, get the Feast of Crows expansion. It's designed for 4 players only, and I actually prefer it to vanilla game since I like goal-oriented gameplay instead of just collecting castles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Angioletti
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Defenitely go for some houseruled setup. The easiest solution is to make the southern neutral territories always impassable.

Other ideas from the Variants subforum:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1100814/balanced-3-and-4-pla...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/803739/balanced-game-ideas-f...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/881574/southern-4-player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
With 3 players, I would go with the base game setup. With 4 players, I would use A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) – A Feast for Crows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've played a lot of 3 player games, and we like it as it is.

All 3 houses have won in some of our 3 player games, and although it's not perfectly balanced, it's fine as it is.. you just learn what to do and not to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find that the key to a functioning 3 player game is that all players understand that as soon as someone pulls ahead, it turns into 2 vs 1. And that this will shift alliances a lot during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bagisbjorn wrote:
I find that the key to a functioning 3 player game is that all players understand that as soon as someone pulls ahead, it turns into 2 vs 1. And that this will shift alliances a lot during the game.

We already play Starcraft TBG in 3, so we already learnt that

Is it playable with 2 factions per player? (so with fixed alliances)

And if so, which ones do you think are most balanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I think 3 players with 2 factions each solves nothing, it just makes things more convoluted and confusing.

Just play a regular 3 player game, and try to switch alliances each time one player seems to be getting in the lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here i am again, tonight hosting a game with 5 players.

I'll go with no Greyjoy and Seaguard 5 neutral strength and Flint's Finger 4 points.

Is that a good setup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kajo wrote:

I'll go with no Greyjoy and Seaguard 5 neutral strength and Flint's Finger 4 points.

Is that a good setup?

Works. I prefer to play with the southern map from the first version of the game (the file is somewhere on here...), some areas in the south grows bigger and a lot of the others are removed - and most of them are devalued. We've houseruled that Oldtown still is a stronghold (it's a castle in the first edition map) because we've found that Tyrell have more problem than usual in that setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bagisbjorn wrote:
Kajo wrote:

Is that a good setup?

Works. I prefer to play with the southern map from the first version of the game (the file is somewhere on here...), some areas in the south grows bigger and a lot of the others are removed - and most of them are devalued. We've houseruled that Oldtown still is a stronghold (it's a castle in the first edition map) because we've found that Tyrell have more problem than usual in that setup.

It sounds like bagisbjorn is referring to this setup - https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87242/4-and-5-player-boar...

I also use this setup for 4 or 5 players. It works well enough for us. Primarily, we use it to avoid Lannister-Greyjoy all out war and Baratheon easy win in the 4p version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scottishduck wrote:

It sounds like bagisbjorn is referring to this setup - https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87242/4-and-5-player-boar...

Yeah, that's the one. When checking it struck me that I can't remember a game where we actually gave Sunspear any neutral garrison at all... It really should be there though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls