Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe M
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Last night, I finally convinced my wife to play Keyflower with me. I've only had the game a couple weeks, but it was the third time I've brought up playing it, and she finally said "yes." I consider my wife to be a casual gamer and has only played half of one euro game in her life (Spyrium). Needless to say, it was rules overload to start. I think in my excitement of her saying "yes," I didn't really explain the game very well. My wife kept asking questions and I backed up my answers to her questions with the rules and examples. I also explained some of the strategy regarding the winter tiles. After about 15 minutes or so, she finally got the hang of it.

The first three seasons went by with a little more explanation and a couple of "re-dos." With the winter season finally here, I realized that my wife finally got the hang of the strategy when she blocked me from playing on her upgraded peddler tile. During the scoring phase, I realized she also played the previous seasons to benefit the most from her winter tiles, bidding on the boats that allowed her to maximize her points from the Scribe tile.

Even though she didn't win, I think she did a fantastic job for her first time playing a euro type game. After the game, I asked if she liked it, and she responded with "It's OK," but she got a big grin on her face. We don't get a chance to play too many games by ourselves, but I'm hoping that this game will make it to the table more often, because I really enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These stories are like the BGG version of Penthouse forum. Love it.

Seriously though, glad it went over well for the two of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kindred
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Your experience seems similar to mine, but it sounds like your wife enjoyed the game more than my wife did - though she (unexpectedly) enjoyed it more than Pandemic, which she told me was "a stupid game." Haha. She's particularly fond of (read: addicted to) basic Carcassonne and family Agricola, both of which, depending on her interests, you might want to try with your wife. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Hayward
Japan
Koto-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I`m glad your wife could get her head around the game. See will definitely enjoy it more if she gives it another shot.
Another great Euro for beginners is "The Speicherstadt" if you want to train her up on Euros.
Keep having a blast with the missus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you took her to the Swinging Door for dinner afterwards. Missing Texas, Houston and BBQ. I convinced my wife and daughter to play Keyflower this afternoon - they don't "like" learning new games so we will see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls