Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Nakamoto
United States
Montrose
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the rules overview (posted as an update to the Kickstarter) for the next stretch goal: the Miner 49ers. It seems like the rules are now getting to the point of taking longer to explain than the game will be to play! I guess 'expansions' can be added slowly, but this is starting to seem less and less like a microgame, and more and more like a 'small Carcassonne.' The Miner 49ers seem as tricky to explain (and use?) as the farmers!

Am I totally off base here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cormier
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point Taylor! The rules are a bit bigger than the rules to the other expansions - mostly because we had to explain specific situations.

The basic aspect of the Miners is that you get a point for placing one and you collect any miners in corrals you close. If there's a silver bar - then the player who had their miner in that corral gets to relocate a tile instead of the player who closed it.

The rest are to explain what ifs. When we tested it, it does add some cool and interesting decisions to the game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Otomakan wrote:
Am I totally off base here?
Yes and no.

Yes, because you've hit on my issue with expansions in general -- in order to be worth while, they tend to add lots of rules to the game, sometimes even making it seem like a totally different game. But it is the nature of expansions, I suppose.

No, because it's such a small game that the rules were short to begin with. Sure, the expansion might seem like a lot compared to the original rules, but they're still only a single small page of rules.

In deference to my own statements about expansions, I really like the expansions for this game. It's still a quick micro game, but it now has some more difficult decisions to make without changing core mechanics much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had completely missed the "you get one point" bit and was trying to figure out why the rules for this expansion hinted that you might want to play other people's miners after you capture them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls