Subject: Worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Scholes
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
The price for this has come down to about $5 in a few places, and it seems silly not to pick it up at this point, but I'm not quite sure how to evaluate it. It appears that there are some problems with the game (at least, that's my sense from reading the forums), and I'm wondering if the low, low price point indicates that the problems are severe enough to keep away from this one. Any thoughts, in either direction are welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an unusual game worth trying, but having bits go on various parts of a painting is a problem. Buy it, print out an appropriate aid and get easily $10 worth of enjoyment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oscholes wrote:
The price for this has come down to about $5 in a few places, and it seems silly not to pick it up at this point, but I'm not quite sure how to evaluate it. It appears that there are some problems with the game (at least, that's my sense from reading the forums), and I'm wondering if the low, low price point indicates that the problems are severe enough to keep away from this one. Any thoughts, in either direction are welcome!

Some interesting ideas, but very unintuitive. The game relies on players taking aggressive actions to balance things, people who are used to the usual self-balancing Euro are going to be concerned that the game is broken.

I have not played it enough to know if it is in fact good or bad. It left such a bad taste in the mouth of some of the locals that I get mocked whenever I suggest bringing it to the table. But I am quite convinced this is unfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm late to this debate, but YEAH. It's a steal at $5.

If you want a perfectly worked out, balanced game where everything makes sense, head elsewhere. Some cards are near pointless. You can get stuck in one place for most of the game if you don't make a point of becoming unstuck. Lots wrong with this game.

BUT... if you want a fun and unique game experience, Siena is well worth it. One of two or three games I rate a 10 for all that's right about it.

The rules are crap, but print mine or someone else's from BGG, plus player aids if you can find them. The map issue is also a non-issue - you simply place markers near the appropriate label. The areas are far enough apart that I've never seen confusion.

One thing that does help the game a lot though, is having player pawns. I find they clarify play.

Anyway, probably too late now, but buy Siena if you want something different to the usual euro "point salad". Play for the experience rather than to solve a puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it doesn't click for you, you'll be out 5 bucks.

If it does, you could easily play this 20+ times. Wonderful, immersive gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Banker phase is the hardest stumble my group has. You really can't have players of the "let's just play and I'll figure it out as we play" Mindset. Knowing banker role abilities is need while you are a peasant. Mitigating the luck would be nice, but is manageable as is. Knowing a normal bid amount for cards would be benefitial, or does that depend on the players? How much does the auction matter in the scheme of the entire game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game starts with an auction and if you don't know the game, it's almost impossible to know what things might be worth. Because some cards are virtually useless. In our games, most of of the auction stuff go unsold, back in the deck and come up in the normal course of play. In fact, with newbies I'd suggest skipping the initial auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish I could get some time and testers to nail down the inherent problems and make the game what it could be. There is so many unique elements that it is a bummer that it doesn't ring true for the entire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls