Vinhos» Forums » General

Subject: Vinhos- Can someone help a newbie? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adam phillipe

Oregon
msg tools
mbmb
So - I got a bit ahead of my skill level (and that of my wife's too) and spontaneously picked up Vinhos on a trip to the board game store. The theme of wine making sounded so fun (over a glass of wine of course) and the art work was beautiful.

I got it home, set it up, and started digesting the heavy rules and realized I got in over my head. I've relied on use videos in the past to make up for decent rule books but unfortunately can't find much for this game online.

There's a few review videos out there but none of them go into true gameplay to the extent I need to really understand the game from start to finish.

Does anyone have a link to a solid video that will help or have any suggestions on how to learn this game easier? My wife loses interest pretty easily if I can't explain a game to her in a relatively light amount of time and given I don't fully understand it myself we are a bit stuck.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend you start with the Drive Thru Review...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vinhos - How To Play List should help. It goes over the rules step by step with examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
The Vinhos - How To Play List should help. It goes over the rules step by step with examples.

There are also a bunch of links there including a how to teach list and a 20 minute teaching guide file.

In my experience, the elements which don't make initial sense are the 2 forms of money and the wine fair. For the former, it makes sense to think of them as cash and a bank account--one can be used immediately and the other requires a trip to the bank. For the latter, it is most important as a way to get the wine managers out and less about earning VPs.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Vinhos : General

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be doing a Runthrough video sometime in the next week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I'll be doing a Runthrough video sometime in the next week
Rahdo will show you everything you need to know. He actually plays through at least a few turns of the game and shows scoring, etc. After watching him play through it, you'll have a framework to place the rules into and everything will make a lot more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Showme Vinhos
msg tools
I am SOOOO looking forward to that. Thank You x 100

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
jkcii63 wrote:
Here's the runthrough, in case you missed it:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/40815/vinhos/rahdo-runs-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't feel that this game is quite as overwhelming as Rahdo mentioned in his final thoughts video, it is certainly a step up from any of the other games in your collection. If you can manage the complexity, it's an incredible game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
jkcii63 wrote:
Here's the runthrough, in case you missed it:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/40815/vinhos/rahdo-runs-t...

Just finished watching this Richard, and it is exactly what the OP needs. I'll go along with Thunkd, though, and say it doesn't look so much complicated as it does heavy. It does have a lot of interconnected moving parts that have to constantly be considered and as such may be heavier than many people prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, it's not a complex game at all, as long as you look at everything through a thematic perspective (especially the way that the barrels and estates work)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls