designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Game End:
The game will end when a player has three treasures. First you must
finish the round, so each player has had the same number of turns. Then
determine who wins.

If only one player has three treasures, that player wins.
If more than one player has three treasures, then the tie is broken by sailing points: 3 points for each Ship on an Island, 1 point for each Ship in a Sea space, and 0 points for a Ship in Port.

It is possible for a player to have four treasures, by gaining two treasures on the last turn. After the round is over if there is only one player who has four treasures, that player wins. If more than one has four treasures, the tie is broken by sailing points.

Alice and Bob are playing, with Alice being first in turn order. Alice has 2 treasures, and Bob has none. Bob uses a First Mate to threaten one of Alice's treasures, and then Alice gets her third treasure. Because the game can't end without an equal number of turns by each player, Bob gets a turn. Let's say that he steals successfully. The score is now 2 treasures to 1 treasure. The rules don't seem to say what happens here. I assume the game ends when, at the end of a round, one player has three treasures, but the first paragraph suggests the game ends with this 2-1 score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathgrant wrote:
... but the first paragraph suggests the game ends with this 2-1 score.

I find ending with a 2-1 score the most logical interpretation of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
NicoR wrote:
mathgrant wrote:
... but the first paragraph suggests the game ends with this 2-1 score.

I find ending with a 2-1 score the most logical interpretation of the rules.

I agree. The question is thus whether this interpretation was intended by the game designer, or whether the rules need to be re-written to fix this semantic issue. The rules don't specify who wins if the game ends with a 2-1 score; it only says that 4 treasures beat 3 treasures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Gould
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
This part of the rule book was written before the thief and defender options were added to the First Mate's abilities. At that time, the only use for the First Mate was as a scout (as in the Family Friendly version), so there was no way for a player to lose a treasure.

The intent was for the game to end only if one of the players had at least three treasures. So if one is stolen so that no player has three at the end of the round, the game should continue.

This is the way I intended the game to end, and the way I have been playing and teaching. However, technically, if you play by the rules as included with the game, you could argue that the game might end with no player having three treasures. In this case, the player with the most treasures would win, with ties broken by sailing points.

At one point I considered folding the sailing points into the treasure points as follows:
- Each treasure = 20 points
- Each ship on an island = 3 points
- Each ship at sea = 1 point
- Each ship in a port = 0 points

At the end of each round, if no one has at least 60 points, play another round. Otherwise end the game, and the player with the most points wins.

This way was a bit more complex and fiddly, and ended up with the same winner anyway. However, you could play a series of games with accumulated points, and determine an overall winner of the series.

At any rate, the intention (as you must have suspected when you asked the question) was to only end the game when one player (or more) has at least three treasures at the end of a round. However, the rule book doesn't specifically say this. So if you want to play by the rule book, and the situation you describe arises, you have three choices:

1 - Go with the spirit, rather than the letter of the rules, and continue until someone ends a round with three or more treasures, OR:
2 - End the game, and the player with the most treasures wins. Ties are broken by sailing points. (Or you could use the scoring system outlined above, which will amount to the same thing.) OR:
3 - End the game, and since nobody has at least three treasures, nobody wins.

As long as everyone is playing by the same rules, you may play by whichever method you wish.

Have fun!

- Kris Gould
Wattsalpoag Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kris,

Thanks for your elaborate answer. Always nice to read how a game evolves during development.

Frow now on I will "Go with the spirit"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.