Subject: Best source on this battle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Houliston
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read through the RE historical notes and was impressed with the narrative (though some maps would be helpful). Question: from the nice bibliography included, what is the best source for getting a feel for the battles at a tactical level? I am an ASL player and would love to design a scenario or two on one or more of the actions. Many thanks! I look forward to this game coming out.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to this site:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RCDIG1070201/

you will find links to pdf versions of each chapter in Volume 2 of the Official History of Australia in the War of 1939-1945.

The part concerning the Syrian campaign starts at chapter 16 and continues to chapter 25.

It is an operational history, set in its strategic context. But from memory (it is quite some years since I read it), the writing descends to a level of some detail about individual actions.

Not really tactical level. Maybe not close enough to the ground to enable ASL scenarios to be designed - but helpful (and free!) background (as well as being a good read).

(Edit: link updated following Curtis' post below)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Houliston
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks, Malcolm! I'll take a look this weekend. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Baer
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
C Houlie,

Hi. Thanks for your interest in RE.

some maps would be helpful There are good maps included in Greece, Crete and Syria as cited by Malcolm above. I addition the game map provides all the topography needed to follow the campaign, but only at an operational level. I agree this narrative by Long is primarily operational, however it does delve into smaller unit actions, but not really at a squad level. Be forewarned, Long is Australia centric.

Mockler's Our Enemies the French has a good operational description and shows the French perspective as well as the commonwealth. He also covers some smaller unit actions, but again, not really at squad level. This volume was hard to find.

The best small units actions I read were in McAllester & Smith's Largely a Gamble. The is really a unit study of the 21st and 25th brigades of the Aus. 7th division. Again (of course) it is a narrative from the Australian perspective. Should be available on Amazon, Abes,etc., but mine cost $90.

There were a number of other unit histories available on the web. however, they were prohibitively expensive ($500-$600 a piece). These are limited edition, vanity type publications of particular units involved in the campaign. I would loved to have had each one of them, but as I said...

Hope this helps, if there's anything else, let me know.

CHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan White
United States
Duncanville
Texas
flag msg tools
Curtis, Malcolm, thanks for the link to this great resource. Go figure, I had no idea that this kind of documentation was on the web. Wonderful! Bravo! This kind of research results in great gaming experiences for guys like me, "Who only stand and take," or however the quote goes. There are plenty of us out here who deeply appreciate the hard work that you and all the other guys have done. I'll have to bookmark this and start looking harder at the web.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brooks
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying to follow the original link and it is dead. I believe you can find these histories here now:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RCDIG1070201/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Curtis. I have edited my original post to update the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.