Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Raby
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When resolving some rumors it says "test observation"; investigator may spend a clue token to resolve this rumor.

Question.

Must I pass observation to get the option use a clue to solve the rumor or can I just spend the clue to immediately solve it instead of testing observation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must first pass the test before you can spend the clue.

If it was the other way around they would have included the word "or" between the clauses (e.g. "test observation or spend a clue to resolve this rumor".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Reread the card. They all include something to the effect of:
"If he passes, he may spend Clues..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Raby
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah I would think that too but it only has the ";" which is where our confusion came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lestatb15 wrote:
Yeah I would think that too but it only has the ";" which is where our confusion came from.

Test results include everything up to the following full stop (i.e., period). This is explained somewhere in the Reference Guide. Thus, all stuff that follows semi-colons only applies if whatever is specified as the condition of the if clause at the start of that sentence actually happened.

Edit: Here's the part of the Reference Guide that covers this. It's in the Tests section...
Eldritch Horror RG wrote:
Effects that are dependent on a test are always preceded by “if you pass,” or “if you fail.” Any effect in that sentence occurs only if you pass the test or fail the test, respectively. Any effect after the period or part of a new paragraph, is independent from previous effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lestatb15 wrote:

Can you tell us specifically which one this is? I was under the impression they all said "if he passes" so I'm intrigued to see why this is different. (If you haven't got it in front of you I'll try to look when I get home!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
lestatb15 wrote:

Can you tell us specifically which one this is? I was under the impression they all said "if he passes" so I'm intrigued to see why this is different. (If you haven't got it in front of you I'll try to look when I get home!)

There are four Rumors that would match the description (observation test and semi-colon): Dimensions Collide, Faded From Society, Mysterious Lights and Stars Aligned.

All four use the form, "If he passes, he performs flavor text; he may spend Clues equal to half to solve this Rumor."

In all four cases, as with every time it shows up, the semi-colon doesn't end the sentence, so you may only spend the clues if you passed the test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
BertMcCloud wrote:
lestatb15 wrote:
Yeah I would think that too but it only has the ";" which his where our confusion came from.

There are four Rumors that would match the description (observation test and semi-colon): Dimensions Collide, Faded From Society, Mysterious Lights and Stars Aligned.

All four use the form, "If he passes, he performs flavor text; he may spend Clues equal to half to solve this Rumor."

In all four cases, as with every time it shows up, the semi-colon doesn't end the sentence, so you may only spend the clues if you passed the test.

Your example still says "if he passes" though in the OP it was suggested there was a test with only a semi colon following it. No of he passes or if he fails text. I'm interested to know exactly what that card says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
Your example still says "if he passes" though in the OP it was suggested there was a test with only a semi colon following it. No of he passes or if he fails text. I'm interested to know exactly what that card says.

Ah, I see what you mean now. But yeah, no Mythos card is written that way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
BertMcCloud wrote:

Ah, I see what you mean now. But yeah, no Mythos card is written that way...

I suspected that was the case. I can't guarrantee that I've seen them all but it would seem weird and a HUGE oversight in playtesting if they made you take a test and then didn't tell you a pass or fail effect (or at least have something based on the number of success).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

"If he passes, he performs flavor text; he may spend Clues equal to half to solve this Rumor."

What's the point of attempting this test, unless I have enough clues to solve it?

Thanks!
rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreatrudini wrote:
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

"If he passes, he performs flavor text; he may spend Clues equal to half to solve this Rumor."

What's the point of attempting this test, unless I have enough clues to solve it?

There isn't one, usually. Get the clues first.

Unless, that is, you want a guaranteed no-risk encounter. You make the test, nothing bad happens to you. Nothing good, either. But it's safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense. Thank you.

Just got the game for Christmas, going through my first play-through and really enjoying it!

Thank you for the quick reply!

-rudy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.