Doug Childs
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow GoT fans. I was hoping for some suggestions.

I have recently purchased the GoT board game. I am a fan of the HBO series and have read the books through Book 3. I have watched video reviews and rules walkthroughs, including the FF walkthrough. I have also gotten 5 other gamers (seasoned gamers but all new to this game with 4 being male, 1 female) to come over next month and play their first game of this. They are all big GoT fans as well. We are all very excited to play. I intend to know the rules very well and can hopefully teach it ok. My question to you is not strategy related because I would like to learn strategies on my own through gameplay. Rather, my question is: do you have any suggestions for making a first game play an enjoyable experience? More specifically, maybe any suggestions on what house I should play as the host and how to allocate other houses out? Are there rules files you would suggest I print out? Any house rules you think are needed? What about using the Tides of Battle cards? And what, in general, would you suggest for first timers? Again, not interested in strategy as I want to learn on my own. These people are aware of the general nature of the game and are ready to backstab and climb over dead bodies to claim victory, so that shouldn't be a problem. I apologize if this request for tips is rambling. I just can't wait to play. (Win or die, heheheh).
Thanks all in advance. I really appreciate all your input. We are all fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krannix wrote:
Hello fellow GoT fans. I was hoping for some suggestions.

I have recently purchased the GoT board game. I am a fan of the HBO series and have read the books through Book 3. I have watched video reviews and rules walkthroughs, including the FF walkthrough. I have also gotten 5 other gamers (seasoned gamers but all new to this game with 4 being male, 1 female) to come over next month and play their first game of this. They are all big GoT fans as well. We are all very excited to play. I intend to know the rules very well and can hopefully teach it ok. My question to you is not strategy related because I would like to learn strategies on my own through gameplay. Rather, my question is: do you have any suggestions for making a first game play an enjoyable experience? More specifically, maybe any suggestions on what house I should play as the host and how to allocate other houses out? Are there rules files you would suggest I print out? Any house rules you think are needed? What about using the Tides of Battle cards? And what, in general, would you suggest for first timers? Again, not interested in strategy as I want to learn on my own. These people are aware of the general nature of the game and are ready to backstab and climb over dead bodies to claim victory, so that shouldn't be a problem. I apologize if this request for tips is rambling. I just can't wait to play. (Win or die, heheheh).
Thanks all in advance. I really appreciate all your input. We are all fans.

"RRMC"

Raven-Raid-March-CP

Raven at the end of the planning phase, then move on to the action phase, and complete "RMC."

I have found memorizing this set of letters "RRMC" to be helpful so you don't forget anything.

Biggest new group mistake, they resolve all of their march orders at once on their turn. Each player, in IT order, resolves ONE march order, then the next player, then the next. Then you come back to the player 1st in IT order who resolves their NEXT march order, and again, only ONE.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need house rules for 6 players and I wouldn't recommend tides of battle for the first play.

You may choose the Lannisters to offset your advantage of knowing the rules better than the rest

You may emphasize one rule that gets often forgotten by new players and sometimes leads to cancelling the moves or the order placement:
raids don't remove march orders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Angioletti
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the main thing to look after, especially the first time, is avoiding to drag the game for too long.

Usually a lot of time is wasted in the first games in having to manually pass around House Cards to know or remind yourself about the special abilities. You can save time by printing a sheet for each player with a recap of the House Cards, of which you can find many in the files section. (Like this one http://files.geekdo.com/geekfile_download.php?filetype=appli... )

There is a big amount of rules interactions which is not covered in the manual but answered in the online FAQ and the FFG Official Responses thread, but if you feel something is amiss you'd better vote on a quick and dirty solution and then look after the answer after the game to avoid stalling the gameplay for too long.

After explaining the rules it can help to have a 3-rounds test game with rigged Westeros I and II decks to ensure a Mustering, a Supply and a Clash of kings; but if you feel your players are quick learners just start a real game!

I generally don't recommend the Tides of Battles, but each group is different so try it if you like some more randomness in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend NOT playing with the full complement of players for the very first game. It's much more confusing, the turns will take forever and there is higher probability someone will not pay attention, become disinterested and drag the game down with him/her. I've seen a number of times how "huge fans" of the show suddenly deflate when faced with a bunch of chips and seemingly complex ruleset, start picking orders at random not bothering to even try to understand what the point is and after a while proclaim that the game is boring and not even close to what they expected.

3 players is the perfect number for teaching the game. If you really wish a 6-player game, arrange a 3-player one beforehand so there are at least 2 other players with at least some experience once the full complement is there. Otherwise hope for high enthusiasm and prepare yourself for a potential flop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Childs
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to thank you for all your advice. I am going risk proceeding with my first game as a 6 player game. I have memorized RRMC. It is really not that difficult to understand. I feel the main issue is going to be that each player has so many things they can/want to do that it will be a little overwhelming. I will take care of drawing westeros cards, running bids, etc. It is also my intention to play Lannisters as suggested since I will know the rules the best.

Tides of Battle cards will not be used.

I am also going to risk not playing any practice rounds and jump right into the game.

I am also thinking of having the remaining 5 houses randomly distributed. As for house cards, I did print a sheet that lists them all for every house. I can give players this as a reference.

Are there any other suggestions for a good, first time play? I think we will be playing March 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you feel you have a good understanding of the rules, I recommend using this suggestion as a guideline in how to explain the rules to your friends the first time. Even though it was written for the 1st edition, it is still largely applicable and provides a good logical structure to explaining the main elements of the game.

I think the most important thing to remember is that everyone should have fun playing the game (you want them to play again in the future, after all ). So if/when rule mistakes are made, take them in your stride and try to be fair. It will be a learning experience for everyone anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IN my experience the biggest issue with new players is that once they have to actually place the order themselves they have no idea what to do. Here's basically the rundown I give them:

1) Move your armies around to grab the closest castles
2) If you feel someone will attack you, use defend order
3) Use the starred crown to get new troops, if you can
4) Each army needs to get an order, but be careful not to spend too many stars

That's about it. I like to leave the raid, support and regular "crown" order a bit vague because I like to wait for a situation where the player realizes himself that he needs something. What you definitely want to avoid is players randomly placing chits - this immediately kills the game completely.

Also, one of the reasons I actually think the Feast of Crows is better for new players is that the cards give clear goals to the players. You tell a player "You need to grab 7 castles" there is still a great chance he will completely blank out when it comes to deciding what to do, but say "control area X and Y" and he will immediately set out to grab X and Y and then vehemently defend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Childs
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to give a quick update. We played our first game last night. 6 players. All gamers. Total game length with rules explanation was a little over 5 hours. I played Lannister. We played 10 turns as nobody got to 7 castles/strongholds. The winning house was Tyrell and had 5. He and Martell made a deal early and so they concentrated on others (including me). Stark almost won, but in turn 10, Tyrell captured Crackclaw Point from the Starks to seal the win.

All players received a copy of the house cards reference sheets. Rules explanation was pretty clear. I sent out video and pdf of rules the week before. Most players either watched the video, read the rules or did both.

My wife cooked apple muffins and lemon cakes out of a GoT themed cookbook. We all had plenty of beverages and everyone had fun. They all want to play again. So now I need to find another date we can all get together.

Want to thank all of you for your suggestions. It was a great first game. I can't wait to jump back into the GoT universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.