Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I know we have a lot of "what should I buy" threads. I've read them all, but please bear with me.

After a lot of research through various threads, I've decided that the Saga expansions are best for me. I've consistently heard that the Hobbit Sagas are great starting points for expansion. I've probably heard even higher praise for Black Riders, but also heard it could be a little difficult with the core set only. I figure I should double check opinion a little more scientifically, so I'd like to do a poll.

Some further info for my particular circumstances:

-Based on how often I get games to the table, I don't plan on getting a ton of expansions. In fact, quite possibly only one Saga expansion.

-At LEAST half of my plays will be solo.

-I don't expect to do a ton of deck building. What I mean is, I'd prefer not to tweak my deck match after match if at all possible. I like to try and find a deck that can last me for a little while.

-The narrative isn't overly important to me. Particularly, I don't need any real cohesion from one quest to the next. I just like the game play and would like to add some card variety (which is partially why I'm opting for Sagas instead of the alternatives... seems like a simple way to expand).

From all of the great praise Black Riders gets, I'm leaning that way. But because I don't play super often, I don't expect to become extremely skilled at the game. That, combined with a lot of my plays being solo, I'm worried about difficulty. (edit: I should add that, although I'm "concerned" about difficulty, I'm not afraid to lose. When a game is fun, like this one, I can lose 9 out of 10 times and still have a blast. I love how difficult games like this and Pandemic etc can be)

So,

Poll
After the Core set, is the best Saga expansion (for the second purchse):
Either Hobbit Saga
Black Riders
      38 answers
Poll created by Holmes108

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I'd recommend avoiding is the 2nd hobbit saga (on the doorstep) if you don't have the 1st (over and under hill). The first quest is actually very hard, and the player cards are less self-sufficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:
The only thing I'd recommend avoiding is the 2nd hobbit saga (on the doorstep) if you don't have the 1st (over and under hill). The first quest is actually very hard, and the player cards are less self-sufficient.

Ah, I wasn't sure it really mattered between the two, so I really appreciate that suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Hobbit Sagas are a bit tougher without the Dwarf cards that come in the Adventure Packs or Khazad-dum expansion. Black Riders can be tough, but it is easier to switch to "easy" mode with the cards being marked for removal.

My vote is for Black Riders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha. Sounds like you've read mine.

My guess is in a couple months after The Road Darkens comes out my answer will be Black Riders, but as of now, the Hobbit boxes are more cohesive together. Plus the opportunity to use all the Dwarf stuff together is great.

First Hobbit box is my vote. Not eternally, but until The Road Darkens at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.