Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I searched the board but couldn't find the answer to this one:

Say you've just used a 2x Exchange to discard a 0 Weak card, and the card you replace it with is a 0 Eating +2 Life Card. Can you use the +2 life ability before you use your second Exchange?

A slightly different question would be whether you can interrupt your 2x Exchange with a card you've already drawn (say a +2 Cards that you had already drawn but not used prior to using the 2x Exchange), or pay a life point between your first and second exchange to get another card on the board that you could potentially exchange with your second exchange?

I guess all of the above boils down to: can you ever interrupt your exchanges, or must they be made back-to-back (or you can make one and then opt to not use the second exchange)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vexi
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you cannot interrupt the action in the middle. The whole action must be completed before starting new one. This is clearly stated in the rulebook.

With 2x Exchange, you first exchange a card, then you exhange another card. There's no pause in between, where you could play other abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an "up to" action: If you use that action, you must exchange 1 or 2 cards (technically you can exchange 0 cards), before you are allowed to activate another action.

So Vexi's answer is correct: You cannot interrupt an action in the middle, the whole action must be finished before starting a new action.

Your only choice is how much you use a certain action …

Best regards,

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I subscribe to the Rules forum, I hadn't considered that the 2x Exchange could be ended early, I thought they had to be carried out!

Hope that will help me win a game again, I'm on a bit of a losing streak...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, no need to search the forum for this one; it's clear in the rules.

rules about Special abilities of the fighting cards wrote:
When you activate a special ability, you must finish it before you can use the special ability of another card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't answer the second part of my question, though: can you use one exchange, then pay life points to draw more cards, then use another exchange? Paying life points is not another card's special ability, so that phrase in the rulebook doesn't address that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Chris, the second part of your question has been answered by both Rompe and Henning. The 2 x exchange is one action, which cannot be interrupted in the middle to do something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not trying to be nitpicky or jerky, just trying to understand the rules. The section pointed out in the rulebook clearly states that you cannot interrupt a card's special ability with another card's special ability. That's fine.

I cannot find anywhere in the rulebook that restricts drawing cards via life points in this way.

Now, I think it wouldn't be within the "spirit of the rules" to do this, but unless I missed it I don't see anywhere in the rulebook that clearly prohibits that.

Rulebook On Drawing Cards: "After drawing the free cards you can sacrifice additional life points and place them back into the reserve: for one sacrificed life point you can draw one fighting card."

Rulebook On Special Abilities: "Only after using the special ability completely, you can activate the ability of another card" (emphasis mine)

Since sacrificing life points is not using the ability of another card, it stands to reason that you could do that to interrupt a special ability, since it is not expressly outlawed in the rules. Like I said earlier, that may be against the "spirit" of the rules, but I don't see where doing that is prohibited in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gophers79 wrote:
Since sacrificing life points is not using the ability of another card, it stands to reason that you could do that to interrupt a special ability, since it is not expressly outlawed in the rules. Like I said earlier, that may be against the "spirit" of the rules, but I don't see where doing that is prohibited in the rulebook.

Agreed, but Henning is the publisher, so I think we can take his answer as an official clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, well that makes a difference!

The more you know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
russ wrote:
Agreed, but Henning is the publisher, so I think we can take his answer as an official clarification.

Exactly. Sorry I didn't realise you didn't know that. He did sign himself:
Henning wrote:
Henning
(2F-Spiele)

And 2F-Spiele is the (original) publishing company, so I just assumed that made it clear his answer was official. Well, you know what happens when you assume...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also you missed
Quote:
After drawing each fighting card you can always decide to use
the special ability of any drawn faceup fighting card

which indicates that drawing a card and using abilities can't be mixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.