Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone found that the game is A LOT harder when playing with only 1 player?

Have got pretty beat up by Azathoth a few times now...

Also, I might just be bad at this game Still awesome though!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's a lot harder - the rate that gates spawn is just too much for a single player to deal with.

One fabulous suggestion I've heard is to skip the Mythos phase every other turn.

But a better idea might just be to use two investigators, which adds more strategy to the game anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Yes is a bit hard but possible. I win against all AO with one investigator. But better to play 2 or 3 investigator game even if you play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you remove the tentacle mythos cards it's very doable if you focus really hard on the mysteries, manage the bad rumors (ignore the plain ones), and close gates when feasible.

Since most of the mysteries come much cheaper, you can knock out many of them in a single encounter. Epic monsters are pretty weak, racking up clues, or eldritch tokens isn't that bad when most times the you only need 1 encounter. I play solo often and with characters like Norman Withers or the psychic I can win 75% of the time.

The tentacle mythos cards are seriously the worst, the game dials way back without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Playing the game in easy mode (without the tentacle cards), I have not found it that much more difficult playing with a single character. It scales down rather well with quests and boss monsters becoming easier.

However, you need to change your playing style as you simply don't have people spread across the board to do things like spawning clues and going on expeditions (especially the latter is something noteworthy).

Personally, I enjoy playing it with one character a lot which is one of the reasons I really like this game.

Yours,
Deathworks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The game seems optimized for 4 investigators.

The first issue is movement. The way the movement rules work and the way encounters and clues pop up, you really need people all over the globe ready to respond quickly. With 1 investigator, all your time gather gear may be eaten up planning travel and moving to get to critical points (like rumor cards that pop up half way across the world or the clue token you need to solve a mystery).

The second issue is mythos draws. The really power of mythos cards isn't the monster surges or gates, its the text - and for most of the cards, those don't scale much. With 1 investigator you get 2 actions and then are slammed with mythos text. With 2 investigators you get 4 actions and then slammed with mythos text. With 4 investigators, you have a full 8 actions and if one investigator gets delayed it isn't so painful - and thus you can eliminate a lot of threats that may be triggered by mythos cards.

2 investigators isn't as bad - but still the movement can be a bit of a pain. 4 investigators may need more clues to resolve things, but a well coordinated team will perform far better than a small team. For example, with 4 you can have 1 focusing on gathering assets, one focusing on gates, 1 focusing on fighting monsters, and 1 focusing on gathering clues and solving mysteries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never play this game with just one Investigator. They've done such a good job with the way the Investigators interact, I feel one misses out on the terrific "teamwork" aspect of the game with only one Investigator.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four game with single investigator, and I never won a single one.

I think with one investigator you have to work quickly to solve the mystery without any spare action to buff up.

2 investigators works best for me in solo games.

Charlie and Norman is one hell of a team.
Charlie buffs assets while Norman buffs ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this once with one investigator and got my ass handed to me. I wouldn't even think about using just one investigator in a game like this anymore. Lots of games that I play solo have been so much better using a pair of investigators - Arkham Horror, Elder Sign, Fortune & Glory, A Touch of Evil... Just doesn't occur to me to use just one anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play a solo investigator. I've won once out of six plays. I have yet to win with a different investigator count. It is hard but far from impossible and I think scales pretty well.

I also pick my single investigator randomly so I'm sure if I tried to optimize my selection as I get better I'd get closer to 1:3 win ratio with a single investigator.

I do think with only one investigator, you will be at the mercy of the Mythos card draw more than with a higher count. If clues, Mysteries, and Rumors never appear in convenient locations it may just take too much time to run them down. This is the one advantage that can't be helped when you have more investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing one investigator is challenging, but as some said the Mythos cards can make it impossible if you are not lucky. Using the easy mode is definitely a must to have a fair chance.

On the other hand some Investigators really shine playing alone. Trish for example doesnt need to hunt for clues since her free one is enough to solve quite a few misteries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Managed to play with 2 investigators and dispatched Azathoth pretty easily.

The 1 player setup is probably good if you are wanting a bigger challenge; i.e. the gate spawns and monster surges are the same as for 2 players, and the mystery requirements often end up the same due to the rounding up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:
...and the mystery requirements often end up the same due to the rounding up.

This is much more true with Azathoth than with any other AO. Only one of his four Mysteries is easier with one investigator than with two. The other three AOs have three out of their four Mysteries made easier with one rather than two investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.