Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I was asked to write some articles on Hive, and I would like to begin with the evolution of the game. Does anyone know what were the differences between the 1st and 2nd edition of Hive? I've checked the image gallery and all I could find was that both editions used wooden hexes but used a slightly different colouration as a background for the 'White' and 'Black' player. Were there other differences? Does anyone has some pictures comparing those two?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Heidelberg
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

It's just a simple reprint with a other box.

Greetz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rizzen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive First Edition utilized wooden pieces with metallic shiny stickers in silver and blue. One known issue with this version was that the metallic stickers were difficult to distinguish in certain lighting conditions, which is why the next version used a more matte version of the stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
Hive First Edition utilized wooden pieces with metallic shiny stickers in silver and blue. One known issue with this version was that the metallic stickers were difficult to distinguish in certain lighting conditions, which is why the next version used a more matte version of the stickers.

That's true.
Also there were only 1000 of the first edition made. And they were all hand made by myself, my wife and some good friends. One thousand wooden hex blocks sanded and Twenty-two thousand stickers stuck on one by one, by hand. It was fun but a lot of work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you John. That's amazing. I just hope you were not the ones who put stickers on the second edition or painted the bakelite That would be a tremendous work. But when we come to numbers, it seems thatt Carbon edition is also limited. If there are another interesting anecdotes regarding Hive history and evolution, I would gladly hear them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
If interested I can take some photographs comparing the first and second editions, like I did with:

The Lord of the Rings Vs. The Lord of the Rings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rob, I'll PM you on that matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:
Thank you John. That's amazing. I just hope you were not the ones who put stickers on the second edition or painted the bakelite That would be a tremendous work. But when we come to numbers, it seems thatt Carbon edition is also limited. If there are another interesting anecdotes regarding Hive history and evolution, I would gladly hear them out.

PM me and I'll send you the History of Hive.

Cheers
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.