Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Scurti
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I go to my LGS when they are hosting an AGoT:LCG Tournament, are there only certain cycles your allowed to play with in your deck?

Wondering if there is an equivalent to Magic: The Gathering's "Standard Format"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nite0fox wrote:
When I go to my LGS when they are hosting an AGoT:LCG Tournament, are there only certain cycles your allowed to play with in your deck?

Wondering if there is an equivalent to Magic: The Gathering's "Standard Format"

No, the entire cardpool is available. There's no rotation.

However, there are certain cards which are Restricted (you can run up to a full playset of one of them, but only one). Those are listed in the FAQ. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest thing is, you can't use cards from the CCG era. (Unless it's been reprinted unchanged in the LCG.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Scurti
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Is it not worth it to get the old cycles if the new ones are better?

I want to play competitively and am about to start going back to 1st and 2nd cycles to start getting chapter packs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nite0fox wrote:

Is it not worth it to get the old cycles if the new ones are better?

I want to play competitively and am about to start going back to 1st and 2nd cycles to start getting chapter packs

There are some really great cards in the newest cycle, but that doesn't mean the older cards are obsolete. There are plenty of cards from every cycle that are still good and still see competitive play. Cards from the very first cycle were pretty powerful (it was also the last CCG cycle and the CCG saw a lot of power creep); a bunch still appear on the Restricted list.

Your best bet is to look around for someone auctioning off their collection. Someone often is and you can get caught up a lot cheaper that way. Alternatively, you can use an online deckbuilder (i.e., cardgamedb or agotcards) and just buy the packs you need as you build decks.

Myself, I doubt the Restricted list will shrink significantly the next time FFG updates it. We may see some changes, but they all but flat out told us last year they're going to use it as a form of soft rotation, so the most I think we can expect is for its contents to cycle some without its actual size changing a ton. But, then, no-one expected them to almost double the number of cards on it a year ago, either, so who can say for sure what they'll do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.