Guilherme Pires
Portugal
Quinta do Anjo
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best part of all this HQ25 mess was the hundreds of passionate posts both for and against, not only here in bgg but in several other forums, especially spanish ones.

There where angry rants, wild speculations, extensive discussions on copyright law and even serious commentaries from well known game designers.

For me, the most original reaction came from a user called miskatonic in the spanish forum labsk.
Here in bgg he is:
Cristian Bergua
Spain
Huesca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

He wrote a series of humorous texts detailing fictional quests that mirrored the events unfolding at the time.
It was so funny that whenever he would post one of his "quests", discussions literally stopped as both sides couldn't stop laughing.

The last one was a fitting end to a 200 pages long epic thread and can be found here:
http://labsk.net/index.php?topic=123950.msg1229454#msg122945...

Since most of you do not understand spanish I will translate.
If there is any interest in this kind of stuff, I can try to hunt down and translate the rest of miskatonic's "quests" when I can spare the time.

So without further ado, here is

Miskatonic's HumorQuest 25th Anniversary International Edition

EPILOGUE: THE END IS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF THE END

"Know, oh prince, that between the years when the markets swallowed Milton Bradley and the gleaming companies, and the years of the rise of the Sons of GameZone, there was an age undreamed of, when shining WIPs lay spread across the land like blue mantles beneath the stars: Orcs, Goblins, Drakks, Stony meatballs, Act II with its dark-haired vampiress and dungeons of spider-haunted mystery; Magic, with its cards for which only the backs are known; the Board, modified due to copious international testing and not for any rights related problems at all; Act I, with its sarcophagi guarded by inserts and more inserts; Scenery whose elements are made of resin, silk and gold. But the proudest WIP of the world, the Rules Booklet, is nowhere to be seen, and is not even expected or given any importance in the dreaming west.

Hither came the benevolent wizard Dion Issiou, the Sevillano, hair few and eyes two, trademark in hand, a thief, a reaver, a businessman, a visionary, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the laws of intellectual property of the Earth under his sandaled feet."
--
The Esperpentic Chronicles.

The Treasure of the Funding was recovered at last and delivered to the chests of the benevolent wizard Dion Issiou. The heroes can at long last return to their homes and peacefully await the fruits of their labour that will surely come in less than a year.
Ah... but what they don't know is that they will soon be called upon again to some ancestral runic quest or to take part in the labour for which they have sacrificed so much already. Which is the usual in these cases anyway.

But that is another story...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benevolent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme Pires
Portugal
Quinta do Anjo
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
Benevolent?

It should read as an ironic "only doing this out of the kindness of his heart and not because of all money involved", but since I have to explain it probably lacks the context of the original thread or didn't translate that well into english.

When it comes to translations, humor is much like poetry. It needs the translator to be an artist himself or risk losing most of the original ritm, word play and innuendos.

And I'm no artist.

--
GPires

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gomez
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The comment below that is funny as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.