Android: Netrunner» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Store Championship report - Stoke-on-Trent, UK rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Today saw what I believe was the first UK Store Championship taking place at Guys that Game in Stoke-on-Trent. The turnout was really impressive, well over 20 people (not sure on the exact number unfortunately) which makes it the biggest Netrunner tournament I've been to after last year's UK nationals. As well as a bunch of locals there was me and my practice partner up from Birmingham, 3 Sheffield regulars and a few guys down from Manchester. It was really good to see that competitive play can pull in these sort of numbers since the local Birmingham tournaments have so far failed to quite hit double digits!

Format was 5 rounds of swiss followed by a top 4, which ended up being a problem after I (spoiler alert) made the cut. I decided to concede at the start of the elimination rounds because I'd had a really long weekend already, and due to train times would have been stuck in stoke far later than I really wanted - not to mention already being pretty beat after 5 rounds of play!

I took along a Kate parasite/keyhole and Weyland program trashing deck, neither of which I've managed to come up with fancy names for yet. Will post deck lists later* - any naming suggestions most welcome!

Round 1 I got a lucky draw against a guy called Jamie who admitted at the start that this was his first tournament. I opened as corp (my choice) and he was running noise. He got a medium out early and was able to get a few accesses off after parasite-surge-surge killed the tollbooth on R&D but without much luck, and i quickly killed it with power shutdown. The game really turned when he hit an archer with 8 creds and crypsis out and opted to only break 1 program trash and the ETR. It bagged him a Fracking but left him with only Darwin for a breaker for the rest of the game, which had no chance of keeping up with my ice and I quickly closed out the game.

I can't remember what corp he was playing, possibly weyland, but whatever it was I had keyhole, 2 suckers and parasite availability up and running far too quickly for him to ever get in the game. 2-0 to me.

Round 2 I was up against Mike with Reina and Weyland. He ran first and scored my single government contracts far too easily because I plain forgot that Knight was a thing now and tried to rush it out behind a single ice, figuring that I'd need a lot of money. Pretty inexcusable, but luckily I managed to recover and eventually ground out a win using a remote that had a single advanced hadrians to completely neuter his knights - he discarded femme early on and it really cost him.

The runner game was over before it began, his starting hand only had a curtain wall and he OAI'd it on a remote and installed a card there turn 1. I had test run in hand but decided to wait and see if he advanced it, figuring a no counter atlas was the worst he could do in 1 turn and that wasn't worth burning a test run/femme combo on. Turn 2 he advanced it twice (and possibly drew for click 3) so I decided to hit it and grabbed a cleaners, followed up by a run on his open R&D scoring a 2nd cleaners! He then iced up R&D but it turned out to only be caduceus and I decided to pay through it on my 3rd turn, hitting a PSF for the win. 4-0 up, and bound to be facing someone good in round 3

Round 3 and I found myself up against possibly the most active UK poster on Netrunner BGG forums, Magicdave! I figured I was gonna be in for a tough match, and I was not wrong. I did have one advantage in that he's been very vocal about how he's running a version of Supermodernism so I knew what to expect with his corp deck, and his runner was Andy so again it was pretty obvious what was gonna be in there. He corped first, and despite knowing his deck pretty much down to the card I still couldn't quite grab a win - I plascreted up early and got keyhole out, either R&D was open or i took out his first ice with parasite (i forget which) and grabbed 5 points while he was pushing agendas through a remote. He got more ice on R&D and I didn't have enough suckers to insta-parasite so I test run-femme'd it to try and find the final 2 points, but only hit a false lead. After he scored a 1 counter atlas to bring him to 6 I knew I only had 1 turn left before he hostile'd out the win and the only place I could hit repeatedly was HQ, sadly my 3 runs didn't find the one agenda in there and I had my first loss of the day.

My corp deck completely crapped out on me with tons of big ice and no econ early, then loads of econ but no big ice late on, and combined with Dave pulling all 3 faeries early I was pretty brutally massacred. In hindsight I think I made a terrible mistake trashing an archer on my remote to FAO since he would have had real trouble getting through it repeatedly, but at the time I figured i'd draw into a decent replacement and didn't want to lose an agenda without actually making him pay. 2-0 to Dave. I felt a bit better at the end of the day when it turned out he'd won every single game of the elimination rounds!

Round 4 Vs Chris with another Reina deck and NBN:MN. I can't remember the detail of my corp game but it was really long and really back and forth - I thought I had it at one point when I was on 6 with an atlas counter, but he grabbed the final hostile from my R&D before I could score it. It took an agg sec about 5 turns later to finally finish him off and leave me able to score the last agenda in safety.

In my runner game it finally happened - I got combo'd. In this case, the 3 cards were hedge fund- punitive-punitive. I realised I was in trouble when I hit 4 points he'd just dumped into archives when I was already running there for suckers, but my deck runs pretty low on econ and I hadn't found a plascrete yet so there was simply nothing I could do to stop the headshot. First split round, 5-3 for me overall at this point with a bunch of other people sat on 10 prestige and Dave way out in front.

Round 5 Vs Magnus (organiser of the Sheffield netrunner tournaments, and the nicest guy you'll ever play a game against). We were both pretty fried by this point in the day, I ran first against his NBN:MN and got off to a ridiculously slow start having to quality time twice in the first 3-4 turns to find a single parasite and SMC to fetch a sucker, but I'd picked up all 3 clone chips and keyhole along the way so I knew i'd be ok if I could just survive long enough. Luckily he couldn't draw into enough agendas to feed his sansan, which i should have trashed but totally ignored due to having tunnel vision on R&D. Keyhole worked beautifully and hit an agenda or a jackson every single time to give me the win.

Final game of the day was against his Whizzard, giving me a full set of anarch opponents over the day! I got very rich off Fracking and Hostiles and then he also got very rich off the bad pub and a couple of siphons, but in the end Crypsis proved just too expensive for him to try and run my troubleshooter protected remote and all the bad pub in the world couldn't help him find agendas in r&d, since they were all sitting in my hand. Another 2-0 for me left me on 14 prestige.

I didn't think 14 would cut it at the time, but after a recovery cigarette with Nate (also from Sheffield) we had a look at the computer to discover that the two of us on 14 were in 2nd and 3rd! I was happy to duck out at this point - my brain was fried, my practice partner hadn't made the top 4 so I'd have had to travel home alone and I'd scored a very pretty playmat

I'm sure Dave will be along at some point to let people know how the finals went

*speaking of evening plans... run out of time now before posting decklists so will come back later to add them in.

Edit: formatting etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And here are the decklists:

Identity:
Kate 'Mac' McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core)

Total Cards: (45)
Event (14)
Test Run (Cyber Exodus #47) x3
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control #52) x3
Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control #35) x2
Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow #87) x3

Hardware (12)
Clone Chip (Creation and Control #38) x3
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead #9) x3
Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts #29) x3
Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core #38) x3

Program (16)
Keyhole (True Colors #61) x1 ■■■
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control #46) x3
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x1 ■
Parasite (Core #12) x3 ■■
Djinn (Core #9) x1 ■■
Datasucker (Core #8) x3 ■
Deus X (A Study in Static #66) x1
Sahasrara (Creation and Control #47) x2
Sharpshooter (True Colors #67) x1

Resource (3)
Armitage Codebusting (Core #53) x3

Classic Kate parasite recursion with added keyhole. Haven't seen another deck that can make as good use of keyhole so far, parasite is just the perfect tool for bursts of access, and sticking the whole thing in shaper gives you seriously powerful tutoring. That one keyhole bagged me virtually every agenda I stole all day.

Identity:
Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (Core)

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (11)
Hostile Takeover (Core #94) x3
Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead #18) x3
Geothermal Fracking (Opening Moves #17) x3
Government Contracts (A Study in Static #77) x1
Corporate War (Future Proof #120) x1

Asset (5)
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves #15) x3 ■
Aggressive Secretary (Core #57) x2 ■■

ICE (17)
Archer (Core #101) x2
Ice Wall (Core #103) x3
Enigma (Core #111) x3
Hadrian's Wall (Core #102) x1
Grim (Opening Moves #20) x3
Bastion (Creation and Control #26) x2
Tollbooth (Core #90) x1 ■■
Wall of Static (Core #113) x2

Operation (14)
Beanstalk Royalties (Core #98) x3
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3
Restructure (Second Thoughts #40) x2
Power Shutdown (Mala Tempora #58) x3
Archived Memories (Core #58) x1 ■■
Successful Demonstration (Creation and Control #14) x2 ■

Upgrade (2)
Corporate Troubleshooter (Core #65) x2 ■

I can't help myself, I have an addiction to scorch-less Weyland decks. Completely lost count of the number of programs I trashed today, but it kills at least 2 or 3 most games. Most notable card is probably Successful Demo, everyone (myself included) seemed to have given up on it but it's far superior to GLC for this deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to find out how a few of my friends there did. One of them was running (unless he changed it at the last minute) a Reina Vamp-Keyhole, and an NBN fast advance with Director Haas as 'an extra Sansan'. Any of that sound familiar?

Either way it sounds like it was a decent tournament, do you know who won in the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
I'm glad to see that other Weyland players haven't given up on Successful Demonstration too. Gratz on your performance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Houston
msg tools
How has Prepaid VoicePAD worked for you? I've been intrigued about trying it and have built decks but not played them much. Glad to see it worked out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
I'm curious to find out how a few of my friends there did. One of them was running (unless he changed it at the last minute) a Reina Vamp-Keyhole, and an NBN fast advance with Director Haas as 'an extra Sansan'. Any of that sound familiar?

Either way it sounds like it was a decent tournament, do you know who won in the end?

I didn't spot any Director Haas but there wasn't really time to see what else was going on, 60 minute rounds with no breaks apart from lunch meant it was a rush to grab a smoke and get back in between rounds. No idea who won yet, hopefully someone who stayed will be around today to let us know.

Hraklea wrote:
I'm glad to see that other Weyland players haven't given up on Successful Demonstration too. Gratz on your performance.

Cheers Yeah when your entire ice suite is about positively, definitely ending runs it's pretty sweet!

brendan2026 wrote:
How has Prepaid VoicePAD worked for you? I've been intrigued about trying it and have built decks but not played them much. Glad to see it worked out for you.

It's been great - with Kate discount it only costs 1 to install, and with all the events costing 3+ there's no worry about putting down a 2nd or even 3rd if you find them early. For a while the deck was running without the Armitages and it had *almost* enough money with just dirty laundry and sure gamble supported by PPVP, but it ran into trouble against players with asset econ or lots of san-sans/hokusais.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam B
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:

I ended up changing the Haas for Biotic Labor as it was safer. The NBN deck went unbeaten until I went into the final round of the Swiss in second place, which means I was against Dave, and went 7-6 against his Andy.

The Reina deck was hit and miss, I got some lucky hits R&D hits in some rounds and got creamed in others. A highlight was deep digging Jinteki: PE with about 8 medium counters, and grabbing a Fetal AI that I think would have killed me had it not been the 7th point I needed for the game.

Oh and Nate won in the end, which is always funny because he has a tradition of losing his first game (which he did, against our very own Mike Cobra) and then going on to win the whole tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Davies
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Neil, congrats on the top 4, shame you couldn't stay for the match itself.

Thanks for posting your Kate deck, it was really interesting to see it in action, despite being on the receiving end...

Next time I'm so not bringing Whizzard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TestTones wrote:

Oh and Nate won in the end, which is always funny because he has a tradition of losing his first game (which he did, against our very own Mike Cobra) and then going on to win the whole tournament.

Yay, well done Nate! The two of us from Brum spent the little downtime we had hanging out with the Sheffield guys as we'd been up there once before so it's nice to hear someone I knew won the thing.

mothchoir wrote:
Hey Neil, congrats on the top 4, shame you couldn't stay for the match itself.

Thanks for posting your Kate deck, it was really interesting to see it in action, despite being on the receiving end...

Next time I'm so not bringing Whizzard.

Thanks Magnus, yeah it's a shame I had to duck out, will plan better for the Sheffield & Worcester events to avoid that happening again - just didn't realise it might go on so long.

The Kate deck is still very much a work in progress, so is the Weyland in fact, they were both put together within the last month, but the concept is definitely on course. I just need to figure out how to tweak it now - thinking maybe the Djinn isn't entirely necessary, I didn't install it once during the tournament, but I don't know what else to spend the final influence on.

Whizzard not work out for you? I guess I did see a lot of Weyland who aren't usually his best matchup! Our game was pretty tight but I don't remember you using your recurring credits at all, so you're probably right about switching, going to noise could have made all the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Davies
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vapo wrote:

Whizzard not work out for you? I guess I did see a lot of Weyland who aren't usually his best matchup! Our game was pretty tight but I don't remember you using your recurring credits at all, so you're probably right about switching, going to noise could have made all the difference.

I was expecting a good number of Weyland players, but not quite the flood there was. I had knocked up the Whizzard deck for our local tournament on the Saturday, and he performed pretty well. Admittedly there were 9 HB decks there....

I think I'll be moving back to my usual Shapers for the next event!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mothchoir wrote:

I was expecting a good number of Weyland players, but not quite the flood there was. I had knocked up the Whizzard deck for our local tournament on the Saturday, and he performed pretty well. Admittedly there were 9 HB decks there....

I think I'll be moving back to my usual Shapers for the next event!

9 HB decks? Wow, I didn't see a single one in Stoke! Might have to rethink my runner for next time I'm up in your neck of the woods then, asset econ is a serious headache.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.