France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I tried playing Pandora for the first time. They are really tricky. I was in a game with Marines and Scientists and at first hatching a lot of embryos seemed great, until I realised it really helped the marines to get a lot of onsaught opportunities which helped them win quickly...

Anyway, it seems there is a contradiction in the Pandora rules, unless I missed something, and I don't think this question has been asked here before (and it is not answered in the FAQ).

1) At first the rules say clearly that there are two kinds of Pandora units: 3 standard units (the creatures) and 10 embryos (1)
So there are clearly 2 categories of units which don't intersect.

2) Then they say each time a Creature moves, if no enemy is there, there is a budding and an embryo is born (5)

3) And later they say that when an Embryo moves, after (...) a possible budding, the player can decide to take over a card (6)

My problem is with the bolded part. The rules say that a budding occurs only after a creature moves. So there is no way it can occur after the move of an embryo (which was defined as distinct from the creatures.)

Does it mean that the embryos are also creatures which can bud if no enemy is there (which would contradict the part in 1) ?
Does it mean that when the embryos move, the present creatures in the destination sector bud if there are no enemies, even if it wasn't the creature who moved (which would contradict the part in 2) ?
Or is that mention a mistake which shouldn't be there ?

This really seems to need some clarification. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it's worded this way, because it takes the sector that gives you the additional move (tech bay?) into consideration. It's possible that you will move a Creature first and an Embryo later. So it basically says that budding occurs first and card steal - later.

But, yeah, I'm not entirely convinced about this, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I believe it's worded this way, because it takes the sector that gives you the additional move (tech bay?) into consideration. It's possible that you will move a Creature first and an Embryo later. So it basically says that budding occurs first and card steal - later.

But, yeah, I'm not entirely convinced about this, either.

I don't see how it could be the case.

Paragraph 6 says "If a player (...) moves an embryo, then after the Action card phase and a possible budding, but before the Sector Action phase, the player can decide to take over an enemy card."

So the sequence of events is clearly:
- Embryo movement
- Action Card phase
- Budding
- Takeover of card
- Sector Action phase

Even if this was the player additional turn due to the tech bay sector action, and that the previous turn was used to move a creature, the budding would have happened before the first sector action, and thus before the embryo movement. So this is not what the rules refer to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. I'll ask about it for you on PL forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Piechaczek
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The phrase "a possible budding" shouldn't be there. We were trying to write very precize rule, which would include every possible situation but it occured too overzealous.

Sorry, if you were confused about it. Only Creatures can bud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.