United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who use D6 to track your games, how many do you find you need? I want to start using dice for everything (I'll carry with me a brain damage and two tags/BP, which I will put dice on for multiples)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edmond
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have a red D6 for BD- 3 Green D6 for BP/Tags,4 white D6 for advancement and then I have a whole bag of Blue for Credits....

I would say its better to just have a bag of dice then to need more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd use different colors for BP and Tags, but I'm one of those people who keeps BP in the runner's credit pool...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United States
rancho cordova
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I take 13 gold/black d6minis for credits 10 white minis for anything else and like you I take 1 BD 2 pub/Tag tokens and put dice on em. Two 10sided dice work for credits as well and you just use your white/random dice for credit assists/anything else tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
I'm not sure if you only want to know about d6's, but I use 2d12, 2d8 and 4d10 as tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
None preferably... Don't want to be mean, one guy in my league uses like 20d6 to track everything and this makes it a hell to read the game state if you're not used to it (and he is the only one used to it). Slows down the game and leads to easy miscounts. I myself only use the d12 to track Armitages and Adonis - because this makes it faster to set up. But in tournament play I always ask beforehand if this is ok with my opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Really?

One of the reasons I am making the switch is to make it easier for opponents to see how much money/counters I have. How is it harder? You just count the pips right? What I have a tough time with is figuring out how much money is in a stack (or worse, pile). How can you miscount pips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there no app for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Lego.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
Really?

One of the reasons I am making the switch is to make it easier for opponents to see how much money/counters I have. How is it harder? You just count the pips right? What I have a tough time with is figuring out how much money is in a stack (or worse, pile). How can you miscount pips?

Imagine that during the tournament he says: "I'll use this dice to indicate how many times I used Kati - it is easier than putting multiplle dice on her, ok?" Or, at some point he flips dice here and there saying nothing, and I'm all like "Wait what happened?". And it turns out that he simply transeferd money from adonic or something... But believe me, it is really hard to follow if you're not used to it.

As for piles of tokens - if a player stacks them neatly in stacks of five, it is clear how many credits he has.

My opinion: If you're doing this only for the sake of others players then don't. Most (or at least some) players are used to how the original tokens work and won't appreciate your effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
None, a thousand times none.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1108466/the-clarity-of-the-g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
theodorelogan wrote:
Really?

I often ask my opponent to not stack his credits. Putting them in piles of five makes it very easy to see how much money is on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
chomoon wrote:
But believe me, it is really hard to follow if you're not used to it.

How can someone possibly be "not used to" reading dices? There are dices that come with the number written on it, how is that "really hard"?

chomoon wrote:
My opinion: If you're doing this only for the sake of others players then don't. Most (or at least some) players are used to how the original tokens work and won't appreciate your effort.

Everybody I know has no problem at all following my dices (our group has around 15 players). Unless the person using dices is too retarded to make the numbers clear, you shouldn't have a problem too.

If the person is retarded, well... I doubt someone that stupid would keep their credit tokens organized anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
I have full set of standard tokens and 6-7 additional d6. Ussually mark virus counters on datasuckers with them. Sometimes money on assets. That's all I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hraklea wrote:

Everybody I know has no problem at all following my dices (our group has around 15 players).

Good for you. If they don't mind it, go ahead. But you might want to ask them directly: "Do you prefer I use counters or dice?". We also let the guy in my group use his dice, we're nice people - thought he hears "OMG, why the dice" every now and then (And he uses them anyway and I doubt he would change his mind anyhow).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hraklea wrote:
chomoon wrote:
But believe me, it is really hard to follow if you're not used to it.

How can someone possibly be "not used to" reading dices? There are dices that come with the number written on it, how is that "really hard"?

It's not a matter of reading the number on the dice, in this person's case. It's a matter of knowing what each die represents on the playing field. It sounds like the person using the die is using them in an odd fashion, such as using a die to represent how many times he's used Kati Jones rather than how many credits are on Kati. That would be confusing to me as well.

If you're using dice, they need to be clear and consistent in what they represent. Dice should directly correlate to whatever variable number is on the card. For instance, if you're using Kati Jones, you should be representing the number of credits on her, not the number of times you used her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gum
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a d20 for credits and I keep 12 d6s (3 each of 4 colors) in my box, although I rarely need more than 4 or 5 of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself I won't let my opponent use dice for credits. Not only it's harder to read but it can be easily mishandled. Even worse when they use it to count the number of time they used Kati Jones. I only played once against someone using dice and I really disliked it. Especially when he is using like 4 dice set to 2,3,5,6...The only thing I would accept them is for virus tokens or tags. As a TO, if a player is using custom items, it needs to be accepted by each players. Otherwise, back to basic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bradley
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to use dice as I find it quicker than using tokens, but every game I play I make a point of asking my opponent "Do you mind if I use dice?" to give them the option to opt-out.

I also use dice as a direct 1 to 1 from the tokens. When I put dice on Kati, it goes 3, 6, 9, 12, etc. like it would with tokens. It makes it easier to actually take the money off (just take all the dice at their current value) and is easier to see than a pile (although I usually stack to make it clear anyways).

I don't understand why people put "number of uses / counters remaining" on cards such as kati jones / daily casts / armitage / adonis, as it leads to a much harder to read board state. (That armitage has two pips on it, does that mean he can take 2 or 4 off it before it expires / Kati Jones with 3, is that really 3 or is it 9?).
Is it for speed? Putting a 1 pip or a 3 pip takes the same amount of time, rotating 1->2 or 3->6 is the same speed as well.
Do they not have enough d6? The small d6 come in a box of 36 so I can't see someone running out of those.

In a tournament, I think if I saw my opponent using dice this way I'd ask them to either count things 1 to 1 or ask them to use tokens. Using the dice in a way that is different than the tokens is just really confusing and I don't see an advantage to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bradley
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note, dice are much more prone to being knocked over (although to be fair it's hard to knock over a small d6) so it's important to be careful and to get used to using them. To ensure nothing goes wrong, I find myself paying much more attention to credit totals than normal, either announcing the before / after credit totals (I use Hedge Fund, going from 6 to 10 credits), or by using a new d6 for each credit action (therefore creating a kind of "history" of my credits which is cool / useful in disputes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gum
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lopert wrote:
I don't understand why people put "number of uses / counters remaining" on cards such as kati jones / daily casts / armitage / adonis, as it leads to a much harder to read board state. (That armitage has two pips on it, does that mean he can take 2 or 4 off it before it expires / Kati Jones with 3, is that really 3 or is it 9?).
Is it for speed? Putting a 1 pip or a 3 pip takes the same amount of time, rotating 1->2 or 3->6 is the same speed as well.
Do they not have enough d6? The small d6 come in a box of 36 so I can't see someone running out of those.

I do this, but in a tournament setting where I don't know the opponent, I'll always ask first and explain how I'm setting my dice up. If they'd prefer I go 1-for-1, I will.

It's all personal preference; for me, a die on Kati with 5 pips showing is easier to understand than 15 pips across three dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've noticed is that, I don't mind dice usage (and probably planning to start myself in the near future) - but I really don't like the small dice (12mm). I find it really hard to see the number of pips from across a table, especially when the color scheme isn't exactly differentiable. I understand that they are easier to transport, but that is really the only benefit I see, and I don't think that is a fair trade for the opposing player.

If I go the dice route, I would definitely go with 16mm and solid opaque background with clearly visible white pips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
Really?

If I had a dollar for every time someone used dice to keep track of something in a game (e.g. remaining hit points, money, various status effects, remaining actions) and then that die (or dice) subsequent got knocked over, accidentally picked up, or other changed and neither player confidently knew what the value should be... I'd have enough money to buy Honor and Profit, with a bit left over.

In short: dice are easy to jack up/knock over and I'd rather my opponent not use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone.

Im using d6 for money too (my experience is that d10 and d20 get knocked over too often)

As far as other problems go, they sound like problems not unique to dice (moving things from here to there without explanation, for example) ill use the dice like i would counter, for example placing four dice that say 3 on my adonis, then moving the three from the adonis to my money area.

As far as not being able to easily read the dice...i dont onow what to say about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Is there no app for that?

Indeed there is (for ios), and for free. Search the Apple app store for AN Tracker by Gergely Kovacs. Tracks clicks, credits, tags, publicity, brain damage link, and time (like a chess clock). Works for both players simultaneously so you only need one device. Use counters for the rest (viruses, Katy, etc.).

That being said, I prefer counters. Easy to read the table and little chance of getting knocked over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.