Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused on what it means to use an army's AP for battle. The living rules say this about using APs:

Living Rules, p. 19 wrote:
[An] army has a certain amount of Action Points. During the Maneuvering phase, each Action Point may be converted to movement (into an adjacent province) or battle.

They also mention that battle is automatic when entering an unfriendly province:

Living Rules, p. 20 wrote:
When two players are at war and the armies of one of these players enter a province controlled by the other player a battle takes place.

There's two ways to interpret this.
1) It takes one point to cross a border into a contested province, and a second to actually start the fight. Effectively, this means that it costs two points to cross the border into a contested province.
2) It takes only one point to cross the border into a contested province, and the battle is started automatically without the player having to spend a second point. The distinction between the two ways of spending APs is an artificial distinction between crossing friendly/neutral borders, and crossing hostile ones.

The FAQ in the back of the rulebook has this to say on the subject:

Living Rules, p. 28 wrote:
Q: I have two armies and I want to attack a Barbarian province. Both my armies have Action Points (AP) to get there, but only one has enough AP left for battle. Can I enter with both of them and battle with only one?
A: No, every army entering a Barbarian province must have AP left for battle. The same rule applies when you attack another player’s province during war, all your armies entering the enemy province must have at least 1 AP left for battle.

That certainly seems to imply that interpretation 1 is correct, but this was still a sticking point in our last game.

This is a great game, and I love it for both its historical fidelity and its gameplay, so I'd love to clear this up so that we could feel confident when it hits the table again. Official word would be ideal, since Andrei's support has been superb in these forums, but I'd also welcome other opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Suen
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first interpretation is correct. You need an Action Point to initiate combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your answers. It's good to have confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
> Quicky
msg tools
Does anyone know if anyone has ever posted a step by step guide for playing the game.

We have been trying to play (using the original rules - looking at the update now) but we seemed to get to turn 6 or 7 before we had enough assets to start doing anything. I am sure we were doing something wrong as the first turns seemed very slow as there was little to do apart from upgrade tech.

One of the things in our book says gold is not a traded item (fair enough) but one of the battle examples states in turn 5 they have 3 warriors and 1 cavalry. So you would have to use 5 points to get there on the chart (if you used 3 at the start) and the other 4 points to build the warriors and cavalry, but you start the game with only one gold so where does the other one come from to build the cavalry?

I'm sure there is something we are missing....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.