12 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Deck - Eldar Samwich rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
This deck is a fun one and can crush solo almost the entire game. The deck works off a fun combo using Path of Need and Word of Command.

Basically you get the various Istari allies to the table and Word of Command for Path of Need. Cast that sucker on a location and safely quest defend and attack. Use Hammersmith and Second Breakfast to pull Path of Need back out of the graveyard at the end of the turn or start of the next turn, so hold onto these cards if you can. Use Stargazer / Gildor to stack the deck so you can draw a ally and place ally on the same turn. Optimal combo is Stargaze / Gildor to draw events, and then place a ally for Vilya.

After you get Path of Need use another tutor for Will of the West. This is used reshuffle the discard into your deck, except unlike the original deck you now you have "X" cards on the table or in your hand. So your draws are more potent with cards you want to play every turn. Vilya / Stargaze / Gildor will all hit better targets faster. This will also cycle your Attachment Fetch cards from the discard as well as Gandalf (Core) who is your threat reduction (also DD and Draw!). I originally had in other threat reduction cards but with Will of the West and zero cost Gandalf (Core) picked up up quickly by Stargaze / Gildor the threat reduction is pretty darn strong as it is. Do not be afraid to do this often and early. Tomb allows this to be cast again and again.

Best to try and get Steward + Resourceful on Sam. This will allow you to cast Path of Need every turn. The other Resourceful goes on Elrond. Not that you will be casting cards often. Most allies will be getting played though Vilya anyway. Do not be strict about these targets as you may need some early lore and chances are you will not have locations in play every turn anyway, so earning 3 a turn can be fine. Just not optimal.

Encounter decks are getting some really aggressive Condition Attachments nowadays. So Miner of the Iron Hills is good to hold in lieu of these bastards. Also Warden of Healing is pretty self explanatory.

Eldar Samwich
Total : 50
Deck format : Solo

Heroes
Hero 1 : • Glorfindel ( Foundations of Stone 101 )
Hero 2 : • Sam Gamgee ( The Black Riders 2 )
Hero 3 : • Elrond ( Shadow and Flame 128 )

Deck
3 x Imladris Stargazer ( Foundations of Stone 106 )
3 x Erebor Hammersmith ( Core Set 59 )
3 x • Gildor Inglorion ( The Hills of Emyn Muil 79 )
2 x Miner of the Iron Hills ( Core Set 61 )
2 x Warden of Healing ( The Long Dark 83 )
3 x • Gandalf ( Core Set 73 )
3 x • Radagast ( A Journey to Rhosgobel 59 )

Attachment
1 x Path of Need ( Foundations of Stone 103 )
3 x • Steward of Gondor ( Core Set 26 )
2 x • Light of Valinor ( Foundations of Stone 107 )
1 x • Asfaloth ( Foundations of Stone 110 )
2 x • Scroll of Isildur ( The Morgul Vale 142 )
3 x Resourceful ( The Watcher in the Water 62 )
3 x • Vilya ( Shadow and Flame 137 )

Event
3 x Second Breakfast ( Conflict at the Carrock 27 )
3 x A Test of Will ( Core Set 50 )
3 x Dwarven Tomb ( Core Set 53 )
3 x Hasty Stroke ( Core Set 48 )
1 x Will of the West ( Core Set 49 )
3 x Word of Command ( The Long Dark 84 )

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

Another version of the same deck with a little more allies to chump and chimp, use a set of Outlanders. Swordsman + ??? I prefer Herdsmen for the +1 Health that comes in very handy. Still feel free to try other options. The main difference here is that you can have permanent questing power and some chumps rather than trying to cycle Gandalf constantly.

This one requires Word of Command to be Cycled faster, as you use it to also grab attachments like Steward.

Outdar Samwich
Deck format : Solo

Heroes

Allies
3 x Ethir Swordsman ( The Steward's Fear 6 )
3 x Anfalas Herdsman ( The Steward's Fear 8 )
3 x Erebor Hammersmith ( Core Set 59 )
2 x • Gildor Inglorion ( The Hills of Emyn Muil 79 )

Attachment
1 x • Steward of Gondor ( Core Set 26 )
1 x • Light of Valinor ( Foundations of Stone 107 )

Event
3 x Second Breakfast ( Conflict at the Carrock 27 )
2 x A Test of Will ( Core Set 50 )
3 x Dwarven Tomb ( Core Set 53 )
2 x Hasty Stroke ( Core Set 48 )
1 x Will of the West ( Core Set 49 )

I couldn't decide which deck was better.. they are both nearly undefeated for me. Outdar is stronger, but requires a little more time to set up due to tutoring for all the attachments. Eldar gets up and running fast but can have some problems because it dose not have a ton of Allies out for chimp and chumping.

Try them, mix them, change em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james schweig
United States
SAN FRANCISCO
California
flag msg tools
I bought this for no reason
mbmbmbmbmb
The first deck has 6 gandalfs, a no-no. Max 3 per card per deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
3 per CARD.... you can have 6 Gandalf's that are different cards but only 1 on the table at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
Still nope, 3 per card by name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eagle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook p.27: "no more than three copies of any card, by
title
, can be included in a player’s deck."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
oh in fact your right... The rules for it are NOT in the unique rules on page 8.... so I missed them...

Quote:
Core Rules Page 9
No more than three copies of any ally, attachment, or event card, by title, can be included in a player’s deck

I'll edit the deck... it works fine with out 6 copies, in fact it probably works better witch is why there is only 3 in the Outdar version...

I removed those 3 and added more copies of when revealed and shadow card protection as well as a extra steward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
A good mod if you wish is this...

Take out:

Put in:
2 x Master of the Forge ( Shadow and Flame 134 )

When using Imladris Stargazer ( Foundations of Stone 106 ) often you can get in a situation where none of the 5 cards you want are in the que. Now you need to tap her every turn just to draw a single card.

Using Master of the Forge ( Shadow and Flame 134 ) will give you a deck re-order utility. If it pulls a attachment then that is just gravy. The focus is to shuffle the deck when needed.

Good times are after Vilya ( Shadow and Flame 137 ) has triggered and before Imladris Stargazer ( Foundations of Stone 106 ), or after Stargazer has revealed 5 and they all suck before the end of turn. (so reshuffle then check top 5 again next turn)

The extra power of the card draw with this shuffle should offset removing the 2 x • Scroll of Isildur ( The Morgul Vale 142 ). As you can just use the standard cycle as talked about in the original post using Will of the West ( Core Set 49 )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of questions - with 26 starting threat, are you just paying the 4 for resourceful? On the subject of which - why Sam?

I'd also want to run Sneak Attack with all those Istari, myself. With that, you don't need to have 6 resources up before you can Word of Command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
camipco wrote:
With 26 starting threat, are you just paying the 4 for resourceful?

I think Secrecy blinds many people to the power of this card. Sure paying 4 is not as cool as paying 1.. still even at 4 this card owns. I think many players seam to avoid it for this reason. I have no problem playing 4 for this card in some cases.

camipco wrote:
Why Sam?

Besides allowing me to have that cool deck name? hehe.. well I wanted the deck to have strong power when it comes to questing. These guys can quest for 9 will, 6 Battle and 5 Siege without any allies. Also I need a leadership hero to collect for the 4 cost Path of Need. There are some other options I considered. Like Gloin. He is a resource hog and would allow the removal of cards of resource cards for others. Though you probably need another healer or heal attachment. He would also allow the belt to be put in to help hard cast other things. Still I like the quest power of Sam and also Elrond is expensive. Same is the cheapest leadership bringing you to 26. You can only get as low as 24 but that requires a mono lore setup.

camipco wrote:
I'd also want to run Sneak Attack with all those Istari, myself. With that, you don't need to have 6 resources up before you can Word of Command.

This is defiantly something I considered. The problem is that Word of Command requires the wizard to tap as part of its cost. This is a problem as often you want to quest defence or attack power. Particularly in the early game. Also, if all is going to plan Vilya should be playing them for zero cost anyway at action speed. Vilya means there is NO shortage of resources, in fact I often have resources coming out of my ears. So much so I am considering some options for steward or 2xResourceful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
Been having a lot of fun with this deck, I have tweaked it as the combo was to powerful, as in there was many times I wanted to do other things but all it could do was cycle and quest. So I removed some attachment pick up and went full hog with the tutor aspect if the deck, reducing most cards to one copy and putting in "power" cards from ever sphere

Elf Samdwich v2

Deck format Solo

Heroes

Allies
1 x • Denethor ( Encounter at Amon Dîn 57 )
1 x • Beorn ( Core Set 31 )
2 x Northern Tracker ( Core Set 45 )
2 x Erebor Hammersmith ( Core Set 59 )
1 x • Haldir of Lórien ( A Journey to Rhosgobel 57 )
1 x • Gildor Inglorion ( The Hills of Emyn Muil 79 )

Attachments

Events

2 x Second Breakfast ( Conflict at the Carrock 27 )
3 x Hasty Stroke ( Core Set 48 )
2 x Stand and Fight ( Core Set 51 )
2 x Will of the West ( Core Set 49 )
2 x Dwarven Tomb ( Core Set 53 )

This one seams to be doing better in more situations. When I get home from work I think I will see if I can find a slot or the Book Graveyard Fetch, as this is so reliant on tutors now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
Just beat Stewards, Duradain Forest and Encounter at Amon Din with this new version of the deck. Steward had some hairy moments as vilya was slow incoming, but once it was out I lucked into Stargazer next turn and soon got everything under control.

Samless Elvdwich

Deck format Solo

Heroes
Hero 2 : • Balin ( The Hobbit - On the Doorstep 2 )

Allies
1 x • Denethor ( Encounter at Amon Dîn 57 )
1 x • Faramir ( Core Set 14 )
1 x • Beorn ( Core Set 31 )
2 x Northern Tracker ( Core Set 45 )
1 x • Anborn ( The Blood of Gondor 114 )
2 x • Dori ( The Hobbit - Over Hill and Under Hill 9 )
1 x • Gildor Inglorion ( The Hills of Emyn Muil 79 )
1 x • Haldir of Lórien ( A Journey to Rhosgobel 57 )
2 x Ithilien Tracker ( Heirs of Númenor 15 )

Attachments
1 x A Burning Brand ( Conflict at the Carrock 33 )
2 x Poisoned Stakes ( The Blood of Gondor 115 )
2 x Resourceful ( The Watcher in the Water 62 )

Events
2 x Dwarven Tomb ( Core Set 53 )
1 x Stand and Fight ( Core Set 51 )
2 x Will of the West ( Core Set 49 )
1 x Rumour from the Earth ( Return to Mirkwood 124 )

This is one of the modifications of this deck that is doing VERY well. A while back I added Rumour from the Earth and swapped Sam for Balin. You loose a point of questing but this hasn't shown to be a problem yet and the shadow card protection is rally cool, and also frees a bunch of slots taken up by Hasty Stroke. The resource glut in this deck as almost everything is free put into play with Vilya makes Rumour from the Earth really work well. The extra start threat hasn't been a issue either what with continual Gandalf's the entire game. One match in Duradain Forest I got to 9 threat!

Anyway, even after that mod (witch I didn't post) THIS deck I just simply removed Path of Need. This in turn mean I could loose the attachment discard fetches freeing up a bunch of slots and well as the Stand and Fights for recasting Hammersmith.

So I added instead...

2 x • Dori - for some undefended dmg protection... seams to be working fine, though I have so many allies out I may drop him.. but he makes me feel safe.

2 x Ithilien Tracker - These guys are worth there weight in gold for a solo player. Your only drawing 1 card normally for the staging.. ANY enemy draw, even if it is draw form a surge.. as it hits the 1st to enter, not the first card draw... has zero threat? That is BONKERS! This card helps quest power massively. It feel broken, and obviously made for multiplayer.. but man it is a strong card for solo.

1 x • Anborn / 2 x Poisoned Stakes - With so many resources and allies flying about, tapping him every turn and putting the spikes back in the staging area is all good. Still not sure witch trap is the best.. but Spikes seams to be doing the job well so far.

1 x • Faramir - Quest God.

So yeah the original combo is kinda falling away but the driving force of Word of Command as a utility fetch for what ever card I need at the time and Will of the West for mass recycling still works very well it seams, as dose having over 50% of the deck Allies, as you hardly pay for anything, so you have resources for anything you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool - thanks for answering my questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.