Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I really enjoy the chance to win free games, I have heard of a disturbing trend lately.

Contests to promote current KS projects announcing winners, failing to meet their KS goal, and then stiffing the contest winners out of any prizes.

I think it's grossly unfair that the winners in this situation receive nothing.

These contests are great marketing tools for an active KS project, yet are under no obligation to honor the rules of the contest if they do not meet their funding goals.

IMHO, BGG should enact a rule that if winners are announced, and the KS project fails, the contest sponsors must provide the winners an alternative prize of equal value, such as a gift certificate or credit for the BGG store?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Community to Complaints.

I hadn't heard this. Certainly doesn't sound right to me at all. I'm sure BGG will be looking into it.

If anyone does ever have a problem with a contest I'd just go ahead and contact the Community Manager:

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that it's bad form to (mis-)use the contest tool for the promotion of ideas instead of products I don't see this as a good course of action.

Gift certificates or BGG store credit are all nice and good but I wouldn't have the slightest idea what I should get for even 40 bucks at the BGG store. I'm simply not into promos that much. And it gets even more complicated with gift certificates. A 40 bucks GC at some US American store has no immediate value for me. Ok so maybe I could sell it for half that somehow but either way it would not be much better than getting nothing.

Not to mention that trying to extract money out of a failed project might not be much more successful than the promoted kickstarter itself.

A far better and simpler solution would be to prevent projects from entering the contest until they are funded AND ordered. We've got enough of them as it is. I think BGG should be more worried about quality of contests than quantity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Kempeth wrote:
I think BGG should be more worried about quality of contests than quantity.

I'm just in it for the free microbadges...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there specific examples where this happened?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

To my knowledge, there has only been one contest so far where the game failed to fund, and in that case the winners were sent gift codes for online game stores.

If there's anyone that has won a contest but not received a prize (or at least been contacted about the prize; sometimes fulfillment takes a while for Kickstarter projects, as the game is usually not produced yet), they should contact me, as something is wrong in that case. I'll make sure everything gets taken care of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Springheeledjack wrote:
While I really enjoy the chance to win free games, I have heard of a disturbing trend lately.

Contests to promote current KS projects announcing winners, failing to meet their KS goal, and then stiffing the contest winners out of any prizes.

I think it's grossly unfair that the winners in this situation receive nothing.

These contests are great marketing tools for an active KS project, yet are under no obligation to honor the rules of the contest if they do not meet their funding goals.

IMHO, BGG should enact a rule that if winners are announced, and the KS project fails, the contest sponsors must provide the winners an alternative prize of equal value, such as a gift certificate or credit for the BGG store?

I would think it would be simple enough to run a contest that awards a copy of the game “if the project successfully funds”.

That would solve the entire problem for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

I was a winner in the Mega Man contest, which was successfully funded back around January 15. I have yet to be contacted by the company and other winners have posted similar concerns in the thread.

Jasco Games "Mega Man: The Board Game" Contest! WINNERS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
Octavian wrote:

I was a winner in the Mega Man contest, which was successfully funded back around January 15. I have yet to be contacted by the company and other winners have posted similar concerns in the thread.

Jasco Games "Mega Man: The Board Game" Contest! WINNERS!

Thanks - I'm sure Chad can help with that. However it is separate from the OP was talking about, which was contests for kickstarters which did not meet their funding goal (and thus may not end up being published).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian,

I saw this situation mentioned a couple of times on some recent posts, but I can't seem to find those specific examples.

Sorry. Just had surgery and between the pain and pain killers, my brain is a bit fuzzy. If I run across any examples, I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/160421/item/3090417#it...

Situation mentioned under geeklist item 53.

User
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
clearly states he did not receive his prize after winning a contest in which the KS project failed.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/160421/item/3090417#it...

Situation mentioned under geeklist item 53.

User
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
clearly states he did not receive his prize after winning a contest in which the KS project failed.

Hope this helps.

Good spotting.

The link should actually be:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/listitem/3083825?commentid=4445...

(your link is to item 54.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the assist.

Guess my brain is still a bit muddy from the surgery/painkillers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.