Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Cheap game mat idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. P
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Hey...as some of you know I've designed and have been selling a custom vinyl mat for the game. Since doing so I've been approached a couple of times by people who are looking to host a tournament and are looking for some kind of cheap mat option...well...what I was wondering and what I was hoping I could get your guys opinion on was wether there'd be interest for a say a 5 or a 10 pack of 36 x 36 paper game mats (poster quality) with a nice high res design on them, and if there was then what kind of price would you be willing to pay for them?...let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd rather not play on a paper game mat. I need some sort of texture to help keep pieces from sliding around. It may not look pretty, but my favorite cheap solution is black felt or a gritty spray painted piece of plywood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. P
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I kinda had in mind more of a quick fix soloution for someone running a tournament and they had quite few games running simultaneously rather than as a personal mat for your own use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herbert Mayer
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good alternative is a black bed sheet!
It is sturdy and the game pieces stick to it. Though it may be a bit dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
hudsonrunabypass wrote:
I kinda had in mind more of a quick fix soloution for someone running a tournament and they had quite few games running simultaneously rather than as a personal mat for your own use.

I get what you're saying. If I went to a tournament and they were running pieces of paper for their playmats I'd be a little agitated. In a tournament even more I see people get upset over bumping (especially if there's a cool prize on the line). In a game that comes down to millimeters for collisions, asteroids, and shooting arcs/distance, bumping a ship can change a whole game.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just giving you something from the player perspective. I commend you for trying to come up with a solution for people running large tournaments. If I had to choose between a blank table and your thematic poster, I'd go for the poster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Klöckner
Germany
Ulmen
MYK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pcv mats are available in online print shops from 25 €... and with a coupon even just 15 €!!

Better than Paper!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. P
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
killerardvark wrote:
I get what you're saying. If I went to a tournament and they were running pieces of paper for their playmats I'd be a little agitated. In a tournament even more I see people get upset over bumping (especially if there's a cool prize on the line). In a game that comes down to millimeters for collisions, asteroids, and shooting arcs/distance, bumping a ship can change a whole game.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just giving you something from the player perspective. I commend you for trying to come up with a solution for people running large tournaments. If I had to choose between a blank table and your thematic poster, I'd go for the poster.

Not raining on my parade at all, both negative and positive feedback is welcome..the negatives usually more important as well. Like you said this is the kind of product where your faced with either 10 blank table surfaces to play on during your tournament or you could use these paper mats to enhance the atmosphere a little.

Quexxes wrote:
pcv mats are available in online print shops from 25 €... and with a coupon even just 15 €!!

Better than Paper!
I mentioned in the first post that I already sell a vinyl mat and yes it is better than paper, but what I'm trying to work out is a cheaper solution for people running a tournament that aren't in a position to purchase say 10 vinyl mats for 25€ each. They need a cheap alternative, thats fairly effective and doesn't break the bank...and I'm wondering if a pack of 5 or 10 36x36 poster sheets with a detailed high res space theme printed on them selling at around 10€-€15 a pack is a viable and desirable solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play on one of these, but black.

Looks really cool.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
i've been using this & i love it! it's basically a giant mouse pad:
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/197810

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mauigreen wrote:
i've been using this & i love it! it's basically a giant mouse pad:
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/197810

I'm actually quite interested is that as well, I just wish the art wasn't so airbrushy/fantasy looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.