Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow geeks,

as the topic says, I'm interested in these kind of games (is there a genre definition ?) since I am pretty late to the party and want to know more about them.

Additional bonus question: which of the ones you can name is fit for 2 players ?

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
51st State is a two to four player game similar to both. It's difficulty and complexity is comparable to Race for the Galaxy. It is much more complex than San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main mechanic is often called role selection, simultaneous action selection, and variable phase order. Glory to Rome and Eminent Domain are similar games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico was an inspiration for several games, including San Juan and Race for the Galaxy. Puerto Rico is more of a boardgame and is much less random than card games such as San Juan and Race for the Galaxy. Edit: I don't think the Puerto Rico box says you can play with 2 players, but the publisher has a variant for 2 players which is discussed extensively here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/679445/enders-comprehensive-...

I love Glory to Rome, and I definitely see it as a descendant of Puerto Rico. The great thing about Glory to Rome with 2 players is that the game is really fast. The not-so-great thing about Glory to Rome is that there are a few cards that are most useful when you have 4 or 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding 51st State (and its re-implementation, The New Era). I love San Juan but didn't much like RFTG when I first played it. I love love love The New Era. In fact, my appreciation for that game and my enjoyment of San Juan has recently led me to reconsider RFTG. I got hold of a copy and played it the other night and enjoyed it more than I did before.

The major difference between 51st State and New Era is the level of interaction. In New Era you can directly attack other players' tableaus. If that doesn't sound like something you'd like, 51st State doesn't have that. Both games are, in my opinion, enhanced by Winter, an expansion that works with both. (The New Era claims to be an expansion to 51st State, and they can be used together, but I think it's better described as a re-do. I prefer it to 51S and trades that game away afterwards.)

Both games feature some crazy iconography that makes RFTG look like a pinnacle of efficient communication. Even I have to look up several cards each time they come up.

If you want to know more, just ask. I am, like, the number one booster of these games on this site. I'm working on a How to Play guide that makes learning much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico
Glory to Rome
and probably to a lesser extent Eminent Domain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mb
How about Fleet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these work well with 2

Puerto Rico
Innovation
Fleet

Innovation is particularly interesting because it is a highly tactical tableau builder while I find RftG to be more strategic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of you !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.