Subject: Warning: Noob with dumb questions ahead.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Guido
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Howdy all,

Im pretty new to magic. Started out playing on xbox, and dove in getting actual cards *yay me*

So, on to my question. Like I mentioned, Im pretty new to magic, and so far, i've gone to 2 friday night magic events (First was the Born of Gods pre-release, second was a Standard FNM)

I like playing standard, and a friend helped me build my first deck. It's a mono red burn deck. I like the deck, mainly because its simple enough for me to wrap my head around how to use it.

So, I wanna talk about the last FNM I went to. What would happen everytime is I would win the first round, after that, my opponent would sideboard, and just wipe me into non existance. That being said, I had a ton of fun (thats the point right?) but im wondering if this deck is something I should continue with....

I guess thats what I cant get my head around, If my deck isnt winning me rounds consistently, is it time to try something else, or just make modifications to my current deck. Deck building seems to be the hardest part of magic for me. I often see current deck builds that I just cant afford (alot involving mutavaults) and I just think "Well im not gonna win against that deck, look how much it costs"

So I guess, to make this post short (already failed on short I guess) is, Is a burn deck a feasible option for FNM? Like I said, im pretty new and I do enjoy this deck and eventually I want to step into a new style deck, but magic at times can be a bit confusing to me, so I tend to start slow lol. I really enjoy FNM regardless, my work schedule doesnt prohibit me to play games alot during the week, so FNM is like the main chance I get to play. Lose or win, Im still playing, but i would just like to win a bit more lol

Thanks in advanced.

johnny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
mbmbmbmb
What's your current deck? I'm usually playing red based decks in standard, and I might help a bit. I know of a few cheap builds that might be interesting to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
What's your current deck? I'm usually playing red based decks in standard, and I might help a bit. I know of a few cheap builds that might be interesting to play.

I'm playing mono red also and achieving some decent results. I lost two matches last Friday, but that was because I tweaked my deck and made some mistakes. The two decks that beat me were almost identical mono red decks without the change I made that made mine worse (I added Wild Guess, but it didn't work like I had hoped).

Mono red is definitely a viable archetype in Standard right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Guido
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
My Current deck list for creatures and instants is

4x Lighting strike
4x Magma Jets
4x Skull Crack
4x Shock

4x Ash Zealots
4x Boros Recokoner
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Young Pyromancer
4x Fanatic of Mogis
4x Frostburn Wierds

20 Mountains (I probably misspelled some stuff in there lol)

I know some chandra's phoenix's would help out there.
Im wondering instead of running it as such a hardcore burn, to maybe go with something more devotion. I see a top8 deck thats a devotion to boros that wouldnt be terribly expensive to get into from this deck.

Thanks in again
Johnny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
You need a sideboard against there sideboard I would guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
chrisbender wrote:

Mono red is definitely a viable archetype in Standard right now.

It isn't that bad, but mono-blue with Master Of Waves (protection from red) is a bit troublesome, and GR monsters (big creatures) as well. If you can fly over with Chandra's Phoenix and Stormbreath Dragon, the matchups get better. Or if you can splash white (for Chained to the Rocks) or black (for non-damage removal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
johnnyfive wrote:
My Current deck list for creatures and instants is

4x Lighting strike
4x Magma Jets
4x Skull Crack
4x Shock

4x Ash Zealots
4x Boros Recokoner
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Young Pyromancer
4x Fanatic of Mogis
4x Frostburn Wierds

20 Mountains (I probably misspelled some stuff in there lol)

I know some chandra's phoenix's would help out there.
Im wondering instead of running it as such a hardcore burn, to maybe go with something more devotion. I see a top8 deck thats a devotion to boros that wouldnt be terribly expensive to get into from this deck.

Rw devotion is good, but expensive as you say. I'm not sure a devotion deck without Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx or Stormbreath Dragon is the way to go.

Some thoughts on your deck. It's quite good already, but some tweaks might be in order. First, twenty lands is too few, you should go with 22 at least with a curve like that. Skullcrack shouldn't be maindeck. Shock, Lightning Strike, and Magma Jet is enough. The same can be said about Boros Reckoner and Frostburn Weirds to a lesser extent, I'd certainly play with 4 Chandra's Phoenix in it's place. I'd drop some Fanatic of Mogis as well, and add some more cheap creatures to put on an early pressure. You can have your slower creatures in the sideboard and go with a more control deck in game 2-3.

So, with that in mind, this is what I'd do:

22x Mountain
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Firedrinker Satyr
4x Ash Zealot
4x Rakdos Shred-Freak
4x Chandra's Phoenix
2x Fanatic of Mogis

4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
4x Shock
3x Madcap Skills
1x Hammer of Purphoros

Sideboard:
4x Mizzium Mortars
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Skullcrack
3x Act of Treason

This way you can have a fast start: 8x first turn drops, followed by 8x second turn hasty drops, and 4x third turn hasty drops, or Madcap Skills on the second or third turn. You have a decent amount of burn that can remove early blockers or finish the game. The Hammer can help in the long run to turn unnecessary lands into creatures, 3/3 hasty ones nonetheless.

Game 2-3 you want to turn the deck into a more controlling deck. Usually your one-drops becomes bad, especially Firedrinker Satyr. Against removal heavy decks, the Madcap Skills can create a 2-for-1 situation, so you probably want to side out those as well. Mizzium Mortars can take down Blood Baron of Vizkopa, but you might not need 4. Skullcracks against UWx (Sphinx's Revelation) and mono-black (Gray Merchant of Asphodel). Boros Reckoner and Act of Treason against GR Monsters and decks with big creatures in general (AoT on Desecration Demon is sweet).

The deck above is untested, so I give no guarantees. Sideboard might need tweaking against you local meta game. If you have access to Stormbreath Dragons, then raise the land count to 23-24 depending on how many dragons you have (drop Hammer and some Madcap Skills for lands, and Fanatics for Dragons). If you have Chandra, Pyromaster, try them instead of Fanatics. You might want to experiment with Young Pyromancer instead of Rakdos Shred-Freak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Guido
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
No guarantee?!?! lol jk

That seems like a really awesome strategy. I like the changes there defiantly. I might have to try to play test this with a friend or on octgn. Thank you SO much for the help!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, no guarantees because I haven't played standard since October (so never against the current top decks) and I don't know your local meta game. The deck should perform reasonably well, but there's a few cards/decks that might be troublesome.

Obzedat, Ghost Council will be a major pain, there are very few cards in red right now that can deal with it on their own. Saving Lightning Strike + Shock/Magma Jet and just waste two cards for one might be worth it, and then hope they don't drop another. Fated Conflagration from BotG is an option as well.

Master of Waves with it's Protection from Red is problematic. You want to keep their devotion down so he can't create many tokens and then hopefully you can attack with enough creatures to force those last few damage. Early in the season some red decks had success with 1-2 Rod of Ruin in their sideboards just to have an answer to Master of Waves.

GR Monsters might be a problem, I'm unsure if Boros Reckoner and Act of Treason is enough here. Sylvan Caryatid is a roadblock, and the creatures are big.

UWx decks shouldn't be a problem, you're a lot faster than them. Remember to Skullcrack in response to their Revelations. You can win against one Revelation, but usually not two. Jace, Architect of Thought needs to be taken care of as fast as possible.

Mono-black shouldn't be a problem either. Just remember to Skullcrack in response to their Gray Merchants (since they have those as stabilizers), and remove Pack Rats ASAP (they can overwhelm you quickly and the tokens give devotion for Merchant). Drop Magma Jets/Shock for Mizzium Mortars to have more answers to Nightveil Specter.

Cards you might want to try out:

Gore-Clan Chainwalker instead of Rakdos Shred-Freak. One power more, so laughs at Sylvan Caryatid.

Stormbreath Dragons help this deck a lot.

If you can get Mutavaults somehow then the current manabase/deck can handle 2, so 2 Mutavaults + 20 Mountains. 3+19 can work as well, but 4+18 is too much.

1-2 Seismic Stomp might be good to get those last few damage done.

1-2 Pyrewild Shaman might be something to try out as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ratchet Bomb may be worth considering as a means for red to deal with things red can't ordinarily deal with. At 0 it kills all those pesky elemental tokens; if you can take the time beef it up to the 4 or 5 it can pop Master or Obzedat. Also very good at taking out horders of rats (at 2, because all the rat tokens have copied the mana cost of the original, which is 2).

Also worth remembering that after a Skullcrack resolves, you can kill the Master with red damage later the same turn. You still can't target it with a red spell/effect or block it with a red creature, but if it were to suffer red untargetted damage (if you're willing to run something like Scouring Sands or Anger of the Gods or overloaded Electrickery/Street Spasm - or if your game somehow gets to the point that you can cast Skullcrack and overloaded Mizzium Mortars on the same turn), the earlier-in-turn Skullcrack would stop the protection-from-red from actually preventing the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ratchet Bomb is an option, it also takes down Hexproof creatures that otherwise might be troublesome for red. I just keep forgetting the card is in standard. It is slow though and since most of red's problems can be handled by splashing a second color, it's hardly ever used right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.