Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love sharing games with you guys and gals that I have found. Here is another one. It's called Card City Nights. It is currently out on Steam and Android, and will "soon" (not sure how soon, though) be out on iOS.

I will admit off the bat that I have not played this yet. I just found it today while browsing the "coming soon" section of Touch Arcade, and I was happy to see that it was already out on Steam. Plus it is only $2 (that's 50% of the normal price) until Feb. 21, so get it now if you want to save $$$!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/271820

As for the game itself, it has a really cool and quirky looking art style, and is a completely self contained single player game with no iap at all, so you get cards simply by earning boosters in game.

The gameplay seems inspired by games such as Triple Triad, where you play cards on your own 3x3 grid while your opponent does the same, with the goal of depleting their life points. As far as the "meta game", you go around to different locations and meet lots of quirky characters to duel with. There is also something about "8 legendary cards" to find in order to enter the "biggest competition this city has seen yet." I do not know much more than that, lol, but I have read that some opponents can be "farmed" for continual boosters, and some you just duel once (presumably to advance the story) and that is it.

Here are a few screens:

I'll post more about it in this topic after I have played it, which will probably be tonight or tomorrow night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might have to tinker with that. Looks like it borrows heavily (maybe too heavily) from Nature of the Beast: City vs. Suburb, which I own and love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaJack wrote:
Might have to tinker with that. Looks like it borrows heavily (maybe too heavily) from Nature of the Beast: City vs. Suburb, which I own and love.

I think you are right about that. It even has "legendary" cards to collect and play.

That said, I got to play a LITTLE bit last night, as I work full time and am going to school two nights a week, but I got to check out the tutorial level, so I at least got a general feel for the gameplay.

Like the game you mentioned above, each cards has different arrows on it. Each card also has one or more symbols on it. You play cards one at a time, with the goal of chaining them by their arrows. When you chain so many cards (usually three I think), you apply the effect of the symbol that is most abundant. There is attack, which you can use to destroy the cards OR life points of your opponent, defense, which raises your life, healing, which restores cards of yours that were attacked, and one more which I don't think they demonstrated in the tutorial, but I could be wrong.

But the gameplay seems pretty fun from a mechanics standpoint, and the story and characters are certainly quirky enough to keep your attention.

The only negative I have read about this game is that the AI can be kind of braindead at times, and some have complained on the Steam board that the game itself is not very challenging overall. I think that this is like any other game of that nature, that you can play casually and have a good time with it, or min-max it to death and have an unbeatable deck, then complain that the AI sucks because it did not have a similarly engineered deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out now on iOS with a lauch sale of $.99!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Swarthout
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwiccan wrote:
I will admit off the bat that I have not played this yet.

So you recommended the game without having played it?

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSwarthout wrote:
tigerwiccan wrote:
I will admit off the bat that I have not played this yet.

So you recommended the game without having played it?

Greg

There's one in every crowd, folks.

I recommended it for people to try as it looked interesting. I have since played it, and it is indeed a fun game. You can also read a number of other people's opinions if you want to get a feel for how the game is. I was very upfront with my view and exactly what it was and was not based on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is available for free in humble bundle. There is also a print and play file to make a physical copy by yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.