Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » General

Subject: My Enhanced Edition Box storage solution for sleeved cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess many here who love the game, own the Enhanced Edition box and like to sleeve their cards experienced something similar to this: First you are excited about the cool box and the great dividers, then you realize that your cards don't fit in width when sleeved, you're disappointed and searching for another storage case leaving you with a great looking but unused box which just takes up room in your shelves because you still can't force yourself to throw it away. Well, I don't know if you went through this but I did.

Of course I had heard about this problem before I did buy the Enh. Ed. but I was so naive that I didn't really want to believe it before trying by myself. I know you guys told me... I should have known better.blush
I now read even more threads here and on the >G forum about the topic. I quickly bought and tried Mayday Standard Sleeves (even if I don't like them because of past experiences). I heard people mention that with them you could make the perfect fit and also saw pictures as proof but it didn't work for me.
KMC Perfect Fit sleeves which seemed to be another option are way to expensive in my opinion when it comes to sleeve a whole Sentinels core set + all small box expansions.
Finally I also didn't like the idea of forcing my sleeved cards diagonally in the box.
But I so wanted to store my cards in the original box.

Then I read a post in the >G forum from someone who took out the insert of the box and it seemed that this was freeing just enough space in width to make the cards fit.
I decided to take this route too and thought I post some pictures about it.

The good news and the bad news: The sleeved cards do fit in the box at least in width (I use Max Protection Soft Sleeves)! Unfortunately the sleeved cards are so much massier in the whole the box is too small to take all cards (as I said I own the Core Set + the small box expansions). In the end I decided to outhouse the villain cards which leaves me with a future problem but I won't complain. I really wanted to use the Enh. Ed. box and for this part it worked.

First of all note that the insert of the box is glued to the sides. Goodbye dreams of easy removal but it's not that complicated either. I used a knife to carefully detach the insert from the box. Maybe I am just not the biggest master of tinkering but the result came out quite rough and there were heavy scratches left where the parts were glued together.

No big of a problem because this shouldn't win a beauty pageant and you won't see much of it when the cards are all in the box. Still I decided to print out some Sentinels graphics on simple paper and glued them to the sides. This covered them nicely, looked good and should make sure that the cards slide in and out easily.

My excitement started to grow because after a quick test with some cards it was sure: it's tight but they fit. laugh

So I put them all in and as a divider between the two rows I used a part which I cropped off of the old insert.

I was done and very happy!

As I said the villain cards don't fit anymore but i will think about this another time. This is a simple solution and not by a long shot the answer to everything. At least I can store my hero and enviroments card in the original box and if you ask me this is more as I could have wished for with this box after struggling so much with it in the beginning.

If you followed this post till down here I hope you enjoyed it and thank you for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect your villain deck issues will be solved by Vengeance... I'm personally more worried about what comes next; as things are right now, I have just enough room in my modded EE box for all of the heroes (admittedly, I have two extra Legacy decks for multi-generation rounds), and just enough in Vengeance for all the villains, environments, and tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HikariStarshine wrote:
I expect your villain deck issues will be solved by Vengeance... I'm personally more worried about what comes next; as things are right now, I have just enough room in my modded EE box for all of the heroes (admittedly, I have two extra Legacy decks for multi-generation rounds), and just enough in Vengeance for all the villains, environments, and tokens.

That scares me. Lol.
I as well, have three legacy decks.
And all promos cards, with vengeance on the way.

Granted none of my cards are sleeved.
I've been debating back and forth on whether or not to sleeve them.

Barring storage issues.
Is it worth the expense to sleeve them all?
Wear and tear wise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Is it worth the expense to sleeve them all?
Wear and tear wise?

Difficult to say because I have no experince with the resilience of the Sentinels cards and I guess every cardstock is a little different. In the past I owned a bunch of M:TG cards for private, casual play and even if they showed some wear and tear after a time (primarily on the edges from shuffling) they were still totally playable.

The expense is not this much of a problem. If you use penny sleeves it is relatively cheap even with so many cards like in this game and once it's done, it's done. It still is more a matter of personal taste, I guess.

I began sleeving with the LOTR LCG and since then I got very used to the grip and feel of sleeved cards and especially to shuffling them which is so much easier and I don't want to miss this anymore. Now I sleeve all cardgames from which I know that they will see a lot of play. It just feels good this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too like sleeving nearly everything.
I have a clue dozen mtg decks. All custom sleeved.
So I'm no stranger to it.

Just wonder if there's enough wear and tear here to be worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
I too like sleeving nearly everything.
I have a clue dozen mtg decks. All custom sleeved.
So I'm no stranger to it.

Just wonder if there's enough wear and tear here to be worth it?

The Environment decks are only 15 cards. It is easier to shuffle a small deck when it is sleeved.
Some of the Villain decks have effects that reveal cards from the deck, put some into play and shuffle the others back in. This leads to additional shuffling of a small deck (25 cards less any in play or in the trash.)

Some of the hero decks have cards that allow you to search for a card, and then shuffle. These decks will get shuffled more often than you would otherwise expect.

Other than those reasons there isn't that much reason to shuffle - the cards are good quality and will last pretty long without sleeving, and each deck is used as a whole, so all the cards in any specific deck should wear at about the same rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info.
That helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm busy getting my own copies of the Cauldron fan expansion sets from tosx (see the Variant Forum) and I'd like to get hold of a box similar to the Enhanced Edition box (dimensions and sturdiness) to hold these cards. Does anyone have any idea where I could get one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
>games might still be selling empty boxes for the Rook City/Infernal Relics combo. Other than labels, it's the same box as the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IF they are still selling it, people have been reporting its actually been a better fit for sleaves.

I would recomend go7gaming.com - their inserts are great, and the hobby lobby case inserts 001 will fit sleeved sentinels great. (read their notice on /which/ sleeves - basically, ffg, penny, ultrapro are fine, Dragonsheild are too big.)

(yes, they have not arrived yet, but I know it will fit because a friend uses that hobby lobby case for his sentinels with a custom built insert that is 5 rows just like that, plus some extra space. It will work just fine.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Over
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lynkfox wrote:
IF they are still selling it, people have been reporting its actually been a better fit for sleeves.

I would recomend go7gaming.com - their inserts are great, and the hobby lobby case inserts 001 will fit sleeved sentinels great. (read their notice on /which/ sleeves - basically, ffg, penny, ultrapro are fine, Dragonsheild are too big.)

I've sleeved my EE, ST, RC/IR, and Vengeance cards in clear Dragonshields.

The sleeved cards do not fit sideways in the EE box, but they do in the RC/IR and Vengeance boxes.

At this point I use the RC/IR box for the villain decks and almost all the environment decks. A little bit of wiggle room left to make it easier to extract decks. The hero decks are kept in empty Dragonshield sleeve boxes - one hero per box with the boxes clearly labeled. Another empty sleeve box has the four remaining environment decks.

Everything is stored in a plastic Sterilite file folder box. RC/IR box on the bottom, hero decks stack on top of that. An envelope fits in the box that holds the oversize villain cards and the rule books. And the storage box lid has a clear-plastic snap lid with enough storage space to hold the tokens and markers.

Only adjust I'd like to make is to somehow "tray" the box so that the RC/IR box can be on top. That way I do not have to unpack the entire box in order to get the RC/IR box off the bottom. (And it's too heavy to put on top of the stacks of hero decks.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.