Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To start...I lost due to a rumor which kept emptying the Expedition deck... cry. Now it is time to some questions:

1) Condition cards: There are 3 Curse cards in the conditions deck.... in a multiplayer game what if 4 investigators got cursed ( Or other really limited condition ???)

2) What happens if we run out of Travel tickets

3) What happens if we run out of skill improvements ?

4)What happens if the monster cup is empty ? Can it be empty ?

5)A Mythos card was drawn (Blood Flows): It says that i can discard a monster and lose health points equal to the monster thoughness... Is it mandatory ?

6) Some Other world encounter...have in the "Pass" effect some unclear effects. For example LOST CAROSA: BELIEVING THAT YOU CAN HELP HIM, A GUEST ATTEMPTS TO BRIBE YOU. GAIN 1 ARTIFACT. SEEING THIS, THE QUEEN DEMANDS THAT YOU UNMASK. SHE QUESTIONS YOU RELENTLESSLY IN AN ATTEMPT TO DISCOVER WHAT YOU'VE LEARNED. BEACOME DELAYED UNLESS YOU SPEND 2 CLUES. IF YOU SPEND THE CLUES, YOU GAIN HER FAVOR; CLOSE THIS GATE.
I did not close spend the 2 clues.... the gate is closed or not ? the ";" punctuation is confusing....
Another Other workd encounter have the same punctuation (with cats that comes when they hear about food....)

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1-4) are answered on page 3 of the Reference guide under "Component Limitations." Give it a read for the details! Here are the short version for your specific questions:
1) Only three players get cursed. I am not 100% sure about which ones though. It's either the Lead Investigator and the players to his left or a group of players selected by the players (or the Lead Investigator if the players cannot reach a group decision).
2) Use proxies.
3) Use proxies.
4) No monster is spawned.

5) If the card says that you "can" or "may" do something, then it is optional. (see last question in the FAQ on page 12 of the Reference Guide)

6)
Quote:
Effects that are dependant on a test are always preceeded by "if you pass" or "if you fail." Any effect in that sentence occurs only if you pass the test or fail the test, respectively. Any effect after the period or part of a new paragraph, is independent from previous effects

- Reference guide, page 11, "Tests"

I'd argue that the semicolon is being used specifically to avoid using a period here. Since "Close this gate" is not seperated from the "unless" part of the sentence by a period or new paragraph, I'd say that it does depend on you spending two Clues.
Yes, this is not the exact same situation because it is not a test but I assume that this is the intend... Also, the semicolon wouldn't make much sense otherwise. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your answers i missed the part with the component limitations... wow

Concerning Question 5) , there is no CAN or MAY....thats the problem
Concerning Question 6) Is it closed or not ? The test is passed this is additional "conditions" from what i understood the other world encounters closes the gates if we passes the test...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
christizzz wrote:
Thank you for your answers i missed the part with the component limitations... wow

Concerning Question 5) , there is no CAN or MAY....thats the problem
Concerning Question 6) Is it closed or not ? The test is passed this is additional "conditions" from what i understood the other world encounters closes the gates if we passes the test...

5) if it says "You Can..." you do not have to discard a monster. If it is the card I am thinking of it is not mandatory you choose to do so at your own expense. i would have to read the exact text of the card. The sentence you gave does have the word can in it.

6) In this case if you do not spend the clues the queen keeps the gate open, and you are delayed. The ( ; ) as stated by someone above means it is part of the sentence of spending the clues to gain the queens favor. It this game it is always good to have a handful of clues ready as you never know when you may need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Blood Flows does not say "can" or "may", and that it is mandatory. If there is a monster to discard, you must discard it. It can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
christizzz wrote:
1) Condition cards: There are 3 Curse cards in the conditions deck.... in a multiplayer game what if 4 investigators got cursed ( Or other really limited condition ???)

Only three investigators can be cursed at once.

christizzz wrote:
2) What happens if we run out of Travel tickets

Unlikely. An investigator can only have a maximum of two tickets. If you do run out, substitute something else for the ticket.

christizzz wrote:
3) What happens if we run out of skill improvements

Also unlikely. There can only be one token per skill per investigator. It will either be on the "+1" side or the "+2" side. If you do run out, substitute something else for the token.

christizzz wrote:
4)What happens if the monster cup is empty ? Can it be empty ?

It can only happen if all monsters are currently active on the game board. If that is the case, no monster is spawned (it is already bad enough for you).

christizzz wrote:
5)A Mythos card was drawn (Blood Flows): It says that i can discard a monster and lose health points equal to the monster thoughness... Is it mandatory ?

It doesn't say "you can or you may", so you must do it. The choice of which monster is up to the lead investigator.

christizzz wrote:
6) Some Other world encounter...have in the "Pass" effect some unclear effects. For example [b]LOST CAROSA:

We have read this (Lost Carcosa 24) and the cats (The Dreamlands 21) the same way. The semicolon section is still a part of the same sentence. You only close the gate if you spent the clues (LC 24) or spend the health (TD 21).

Look at Great Hall of Celaeno 20 (middle section). It uses the same structure. You close the gate if you pass. You become delayed if you fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the card...

I am still confused concerning the gate closing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thank you all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Flows - Must do it. For the questioning queen, I also read it that unless you spend two clues the gate is not closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a sentence starts with "If..." and the condition isn't met, then you should ignore the entire sentence. Semicolons do not end a sentence, so in this case you can't close the gate if you didn't pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Yeager
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Instead of closing the gate, you get an artifact! And you don't have to test anything else to get it! Oh, and you can still close the gate this turn, but it'll cost you two clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Baldwin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
While I agree with the interpretations above (you do not get to close the gate), the grammarian in me would like to point out that, in standard English usage, semi-colons do indeed indicate the end of a sentence; they are used to join related clauses, but each clause must be a complete sentence on its own.

Also, I believe (but am not certain) that an effect intended to apply to both pass and fail condition is always placed on its own line. For instance:

My interpretation of the above is that the card is discarded regardless of the outcome of the Lore check.

Similarly, if the gate were to be closed regardless of the expenditures of clues, I would expect the Lost Carcosa text to read:

Believing that you can help him, a guest attempts to bribe you. Gain 1 artifact. Seeing this, the queen demands that you unmask. She questions you relentlessly in an attempt to discover what you've learned. Become delayed unless you spend 2 clues. If you spend the clues, you gain her favor.

Then close this gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowkeeper wrote:
While I agree with the interpretations above (you do not get to close the gate), the grammarian in me would like to point out that, in standard English usage, semi-colons do indeed indicate the end of a sentence; they are used to join related clauses, but each clause must be a complete sentence on its own.

Everything I can find in a quick Google search seems to agree that the result is always considered one sentence. The fact that the two parts must form complete sentences on their own does not mean that they are still two sentences after they become linked by a semi-colon.

In any case, the point is moot as the Reference Guide clearly states that a sentence includes everything up to the following period and all the text of a sentence starting with an 'if' clause is only meant to happen if the condition of the 'if' is true:
Reference Guide wrote:
Effects that are dependent on a test are always preceded by “if you pass,” or “if you fail.” Any effect in that sentence occurs only if you pass the test or fail the test, respectively. Any effect after the period or part of a new paragraph, is independent from previous effects.

shadowkeeper wrote:
Also, I believe (but am not certain) that an effect intended to apply to both pass and fail condition is always placed on its own line. For instance:

My interpretation of the above is that the card is discarded regardless of the outcome of the Lore check.

You are correct in how Lore is played, but the same effect could be made without requiring the new paragraph.

Quote:
Similarly, if the gate were to be closed regardless of the expenditures of clues, I would expect the Lost Carcosa text to read:

Believing that you can help him, a guest attempts to bribe you. Gain 1 artifact. Seeing this, the queen demands that you unmask. She questions you relentlessly in an attempt to discover what you've learned. Become delayed unless you spend 2 clues. If you spend the clues, you gain her favor.

Then close this gate.

Exactly. Again, it wouldn't even need the extra paragraph, although FFG seems to have done these types of extra paragraphs wherever possible, which helps to avoid confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowkeeper wrote:

Correct. In English it is used to join two independent clauses (sentences) which are related in thought.

For the rule book they have used this structure to clearly define cause and effect rules in the following way:

Quote:
If you pass, pass flavor text; pass rule text. If you fail, fail flavor text; fail rule text.

shadowkeeper wrote:

Correct.

shadowkeeper wrote:

Then close this gate.

I agree. The nice thing with having a consistent wording is that, while some aspects don't follow natural language rules one hundred percent, they become their own language which we can apply to the game. It's subjects like this that make me very impressed with how this game is put together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your replies.... after a second run today i have 3 new questions:

1) A Rumour card was drawn: we should fight monsters on space 19... its reckoning effect says spawn a monster to space 19. at the begining space 19 is empty.. when reckoning is in effect we spawned a monster to space 19... but it was serpent people and they have a spawn effect : Move to amazon... Does the serpent people move to amazone or stays on 19 ? We played that it moves to amazon since the word "spawn" was in effect...

2)something happens if we are delayed twice ?

3)Some asset cards give +2 strenght in combat encounter.... if an other world encounter or other encounter cards needs a strenght test... does the asset bonus works ? i mean the encounter says to fight something but not like a real Combat encounter...

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christizzz wrote:

1) A Rumour card was drawn: we should fight monsters on space 19... its reckoning effect says spawn a monster to space 19. at the begining space 19 is empty.. when reckoning is in effect we spawned a monster to space 19... but it was serpent people and they have a spawn effect : Move to amazon... Does the serpent people move to amazone or stays on 19 ? We played that it moves to amazon since the word "spawn" was in effect...

Correct. Spawn effect always takes effect when the monster is spawned.

christizzz wrote:
2)something happens if we are delayed twice ?

I don't believe there are any rules with this. The second delay should have no effect. The game doesn't allow you to voluntarily delay a delayed investigator for this reason.

christizzz wrote:
3)Some asset cards give +2 strenght in combat encounter.... if an other world encounter or other encounter cards needs a strenght test... does the asset bonus works ? i mean the encounter says to fight something but not like a real Combat encounter...

Unfortunately, not. A Strength Test is not a Combat Encounter. A Combat Encounter is a specific phase of the game that takes place during the Encounters phase when you have a monster on your space. I believe there are some other events that will ambush a monster to you and tell you to encounter it; this would also be a Combat Encounter.

I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your quick reply...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, even if the Strength test represents a fight with a monster (some Encounter cards say that a particular monster appears and you do a Strength test against it), you don't get to use your bonuses that only apply in combat encounters. Those cards only help when you are doing the tests on the back of a monster token.

And to further clarify Richard's point on being Delayed... If you somehow were Delayed and then you became Delayed again, nothing would happen the second time. The only way I can imagine this could even happen is if you were Delayed in your Encounter and then the Mythos Delayed you again. And as Richard mentioned, you cannot choose someone who is Delayed to become Delayed. If one investigator is Delayed and the Mythos that forces the Lead Investigator to choose a player to become Delayed come up, they cannot choose an investigator that is already Delayed.

If that doesn't help sort out the situation that caused you to ask the question, could you please provide more information about how you were potentially going to be Delayed twice? It seems very rare for that situation to be able to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually i got delayed during my turn due to an encounter and the mythos card delayed all investigators...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.