Popular Tags: gboh [+] third_world_war [+] [View All]
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I love status counters in games. Think GMTs Musket and Pike series.

Don't know what it is, but I just love the little buggers.

Can anyone suggest any other games/series that are also status counter heavy?

Don't suggest ASL though. Tried it, and didn't much care for it.

I also don't mind scale or period, although I'm guessing that tactical level games will be the most likely.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't stand them because they cover up the unit markings. Not much good having a front line cluttered with them such that you can't see what's going on without putting your hands on every stack and moving the status counters out of the way.

Hell, I don't even like stacks more than two high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tolerate them. No love, hold your nose and place. They are necessary though in many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
I can't stand them because they cover up the unit markings. Not much good having a front line cluttered with them such that you can't see what's going on without putting your hands on every stack and moving the status counters out of the way.

Hell, I don't even like stacks more than two high.

Here here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Flying Colors has plenty of status marking. Too busy by my reckoning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of Richard Berg's games are status-counter-heavy, including all the different 'Great Battles...' series of games.

Eg:
Great Battles of the American Civil War
Great Battles of History
GBOH: Great Battles of Alexander

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battles of the Age of Reason, quite heavy games though

Great Battles of History and War Galley in particular

OCS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Tactical Series

A unit can have a Cohesion Hit marker, a Suppression Marker, a Column Marker, an Abandoned Transport marker (for some...yes, they are Marching in Column after all!), or if not moving in column, maybe be in an Improved Position or Entrenchment Marker! But wait--if shot at by indirect fire, there could be a Light or Heavy Barrage Marker on top of them!

For the sake of discussion, let's dispense with the Column marker and imagine a collision of three friendly units assaulting three defending enemy units, all with their own markers, all in the same hex....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doubt you can beat The Next War if you play with all the options...

Need ammo counters, fuel counters (if I remember), AA ammo counters, the counters for combat effects (think there are a few of those)...oh, and don't forget the OOS and Fatigue counters! Add to it that you can stack quite a few units in a hex, and I remember some Warsaw Pact stacks teetering on some 30+ counters with probably 20+ of those frigg'n status markers!

Needless to say, we never even made it through a complete turn before we said "enough is enough". LOL. It's a decent game, but just BEGGING to be played on a computer (where you can have something keep track of all those status markers for you).

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
kbernatz wrote:
Doubt you can beat The Next War if you play with all the options...

Need ammo counters, fuel counters (if I remember), AA ammo counters, the counters for combat effects (think there are a few of those)...oh, and don't forget the OOS and Fatigue counters! Add to it that you can stack quite a few units in a hex, and I remember some Warsaw Pact stacks teetering on some 30+ counters with probably 20+ of those frigg'n status markers!

Needless to say, we never even made it through a complete turn before we said "enough is enough". LOL. It's a decent game, but just BEGGING to be played on a computer (where you can have something keep track of all those status markers for you).

-K

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Status counters and stacking! Don't sneeze! (Battle Above the Clouds)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wow, that was quick.

Thanks all.

I've been thinking about diving into BAR for some time. Perhaps this will tip me over the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Line of Battle series... I just love the Cowardly Legs counters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
Wow, that was quick.

Thanks all.

I've been thinking about diving into BAR for some time. Perhaps this will tip me over the edge.

BAR is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A guy in our gaming group has The Next War on his shelf. We've been playing newer games lately, and I've been itching to try a big "classic" game. I was going to inquire about this one, but now, maybe not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played The Next War back when it first came out several times. I liked it a lot. The air system in particular was cool. I also very much liked the combat is part of movement. The only other game I've played that has a similar movement/combat system is Trial of Strength. Unfortunately my copy of the game TNW was ruined by a leaky roof. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
I saw one of the test copies of The Next War. Imagine making all those counters by hand back in the 1970's. Not to mention the maps. Tester was a little off his rocker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next War is epic and if the subject interests you don't be put off by marker counters. For a start it is not a good idea to have more than one combat unit in a hex - that unit will typically accumulate loss markers. Only if it gets out of General Supply do you need Fuel and Ammo markers. Flak markers are only used by units which fire at air units and they are removed at the end of the turn. It's a fantastic game due to its system, size and scope. You can play a simpler cold war game such as GDW's Third World War but it pales by comparison and the maps are some kind of a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
Wow, that was quick.

Thanks all.

Although they are great games, they're not particularly status counter heavy in terms of stacking large numbers of status counters on top of them. Generally speaking a unit counter will never have more than one counter on top of it and one underneath it (if you're tracking Strength Point losses on the map/counter rather than on the SP Loss sheets). In addition, units themselves rarely stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Panzergrenadier a lot, and while there aren't many status counters, just about every unit of yours on the board will be covered with a Moved/Fired marker by the end of your turn. I now use tile spacers to mark this, as it lets me see the counter underneath. Tile spacers can be found in any hardware store, and they are cheap. I suppose you could different sizes and colors to mark different things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I always find status markers are essential but also annoying. Games allowed stacking create even more problems for me. Say if a stack of three units are attacked & two units are suppressed by that attack, should I place the suppress marker on top of the stack? Or one unit in a stack has moved/fired while the other unit has not. Where should I place the fired/moved marker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You just have to tolerate them, in most cases it doesn't concern me too much, but in those games that already have huge stacks of units, having a huge lot of status markers is deemed bad game design in my books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am afraid that I am not a huge fan of status markers, but accept that they are a necessary evil rather than tons of written bookkeeping.

I think that my vote for the most status-counter heavy game though has to be Air War: Modern Tactical Air Combat which not only had tons of them per counter in play, but had its own special board to keep them on! Even the missiles had their own set of status counters! Madness! And yet I played a lot of it in the early 80s.

Cheers,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.