Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it an error that both of the samle decks have 3 x Burglar Baggins.

If so what cards should be added and to which deck.

I really like knowing the card availability vs Scenario Time period, in fact it would be really great if all scebarios had a list of unavailable or availabele (as appropriate ) cards based on time period and theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
It's not an error, as I'm not sure the decks are intended to be used together (though, of course they could be). Or, FFG just assumes that the two players would both own a copy of the set, so they'd be able to build the decks.

As for what to sub in, there's no other card like it, so you'd not be getting the same effect. I suppose whatever event you would like would be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I understand the appeal, because I get deckbuilding really isn't everyone's cup of tea, the sample decks really aren't all that thematic (or good).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Tello
Spain
Oiartzun
Guipúzcoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
Is it an error that both of the samle decks have 3 x Burglar Baggins.
If so what cards should be added and to which deck.

A straight forward replacement for Burglar Baggins would be Halfling Determination (from The Black Riders) on Gimli's deck. Another possibility is Blade Mastery from the Core Set, more versatile for combat because you can use it on other characters, but you may miss the willpower bonus.

About thematic sample decks, you'll also see them on other Saga boxes. For any other quest, you could use any card except the dwarves that died in The Hobbit books, because all those adventures happen between the books. You could use some regional discrimination to add more theme to your decks: use only Gondor/Rohan/Outlands heroes (except Faramir/Boromir/Denethor/Theoden/Imrahil)on Heirs of Numenor quests, only dwarves on Khazad-Dum, only elves/rangers on The Hunt for Gollum.

You could also go for "what if" buildings, like Glorfindel+Elladan+Elrohir against the Balrog. And that's also thematic.

While creating thematic decks, the only thing I really look at are the unique characters. Because the card pool isn't big enough, you may have problems building some decks. For example, there's only 1 Hobbit friendly Ally per sphere (plus Bill the Pony on Leadership).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same issue with my gf playing this set with the sample Decks. I think its a shame to print these decklists intendet as a help for peaple that aren't into deckbuilding just to sell one more of these packs.

BTW. we finished the all of the 3 adventures in this set with just one core set and the expansion. So my gf played some other cards from the core set. It took us 4 attempts for all 3 adventures and i never played the card you are talking about. In most cases this card was kind of annoying because i hoped to draw something usefull and ended up with drawing Burgler Baggins.

(4 attempts because in the german version there are misprints in the first encounter deck so the whole adventure was a piece of cake and we decided to replay it one more time with the right card text)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.