Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Holder
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if Fantasy Flight has released an "add on pack" of sorts that includes cards with their correct text post FAQ and errata rulings for other LCGs? I know the new re-prints of old LOTR scenarios have updated encounter and player cards. Would be great to purchase one pack that contained only these updated cards. Soooo many minor changes to keep track of. Would be great to simply swap in the correct/current cards to replace the old. Oh, and is there anything we can do as a community to encourage them to do something like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
they never have for their older LCGs, so i don't think it's something we could expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Holder
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt,
Do you think you could use your LOTR community fame to rally the Grey Company and Cardboard of the Rings listeners to beg Caleb (perhaps via Brian G) and the FFG gang to consider this? Even if it is just a print on demand option? (Really, it would extra money in the bank for FFG. I'm paying them for cards I already have, they just literally switched a couple words!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love lots about this game but I stopped buying at 4 epansions and just the under the mirkwood series.

The main reason being is unless I make it the only game I play then this is the limit to how much errata I can cope with and when then I find it daunting that I have to spen more time cross referencing errata than playing, I stop playing.

The Secondary reason , is theme , I do not mind deck building but for this game I want it to be in theme.

If FFG want me to spend more money then they should make it more accessible e.g. Corrected cards and an update rule book. I am sure they could sort something and at a reasonable cost. I am a bit of a completist and I am sure a lot of games players are but I buy to play not catch up on rules.

I would also value a resource (preferably interactive- online or an APP for android/IOS/PC) by scenario that defined cards to be ncluded / excluded by theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
last time I just printed off the errata'd card pack that someone made here at BGG and used those as I sleeve my cards anyway. Not sure if anyone has updated that yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schock
United States
White Hall
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
I love lots about this game but I stopped buying at 4 epansions and just the under the mirkwood series.

The main reason being is unless I make it the only game I play then this is the limit to how much errata I can cope with and when then I find it daunting that I have to spen more time cross referencing errata than playing, I stop playing.

The Secondary reason , is theme , I do not mind deck building but for this game I want it to be in theme.

If FFG want me to spend more money then they should make it more accessible e.g. Corrected cards and an update rule book. I am sure they could sort something and at a reasonable cost. I am a bit of a completist and I am sure a lot of games players are but I buy to play not catch up on rules.

I would also value a resource (preferably interactive- online or an APP for android/IOS/PC) by scenario that defined cards to be ncluded / excluded by theme.

They should pay us to play the game, too.

If you don't want to be cross-referencing erratas, then don't. Nobody is going to come to your house and take your cards if you don't follow the errata.

As for theme, look at other sources like Master of Lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
I can certainly ask Caleb but this is something that's been asked about for years and I'm sure FFG is aware of the demand.

Now that their POD process is "in-house," I suppose it could be easier for them to do so - especially for LOTR since it's not competitive and the different card stock wouldn't be as much of an issue as in a competitive, tournament scene - but it's still not something I'd expect.

Honestly, every card game has this issue and I've never heard of any company (though, I'm sure some have) printing "errata packs" - you just have to deal with it or buy the latest printing. :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to say no, they will just wait till the pack gets reprinted. The POD that someone mentioned is a good idea though if we can get it to FFG's attention. I'm basing this on how they handled things in the Game of Thrones card game. They had cards that were banned/errata but when the packs got reprinted the new versions are no longer banned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Print on Demand Cards need to be sleeved in opaque sleeves anyway (due to printing differences), so if the erratas bug you just print out Tom Howard's (user GeckoTH) "corrected" cards and sleeve them (either infront of the originals or card stock for added thickness, or alone).

They're here (through FAQ 1.5, I expect he'll add the FAQ 1.6 cards soon): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/88434/card-erratas
[EDIT: this is the file to which Nigel is referring]

Also Print on Demand wouldn't solve the problem as with every new FAQ there's a new one or two (or more) errataed cards, so FFG would have to print (and ship) 1-2 card packs (albeit perhaps some would have multiple copies, e.g. if they are player cards, you'll get 3 copies, etc.), something economically absurd for their business.

My short answer is, if it bothers you, print GeckoTH's file and sleeve the cards (or buy the AP with the erattaed again when it's reprinted), but don't count on FFG ever selling a "Errata pack", it's economically unfeasible. You may be better off contacting customer service and seeing if they'll send you a copy (offering to pay). They probably won't but asking can't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As for theme, look at other sources like Master of Lore.

+1.

I thought that this game was great because it let players decide how they wanted to deck-build. Either thematic - putting only cards that make sense into a deck to go on a certain quest, or optimal - putting in the best combos of cards to be able to tackle any quest.

Master of Lore does both in most of his decks (I assume he's built a few non-thematic decks, but perhaps I am wrong).

Back to OP though, I too would love an errata PoD, but yeah, I just don't see it happening. Still, here is to hoping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Holder
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:

Also Print on Demand wouldn't solve the problem as with every new FAQ there's a new one or two (or more) errataed cards, so FFG would have to print (and ship) 1-2 card packs (albeit perhaps some would have multiple copies, e.g. if they are player cards, you'll get 3 copies, etc.), something economically absurd for their business.

My thoughts on this would be that they would release "Errata" packs roughly every year or two to include all the cards in a cycle. So, they could release one POD pack that had all the corrections (spelling, rules changes, etc.) for the Core set and Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle. Then another for Khazad-dum and Dwarrowdelf cycle and so on. And each of these packs would have the appropriate number of cards (3 for player cards, 1 for hero cards, X for specific encounter cards, etc.) This would be better than nothing. I REALLY enjoy this game, but I'm starting to get slogged down and frustrated by the rule-lawyering aspect of it, and keeping track of errata during gameplay is frustrating. This is the only game that I've gone "all in" on by purchasing everything available over that past 3 years. Would be really bummed if FFG didn't offer a small gesture of "thanks for being with us from the beginning" by making errata cards available without re-purchasing entire packs of content. Would be a really nice gesture, that again should make them money in the process. Seems like a win-win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To those wondering...
Yes I plan on updating my errata'd cards to match the latest FAQ. Stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
To those wondering...
Yes I plan on updating my errata'd cards to match the latest FAQ. Stay tuned!

I highly recommend his cards and Printer's Studio. They will be nearly identical to the originals. Costs average by deck size, between ten and seven cents each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Tello
Spain
Oiartzun
Guipúzcoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they won't publish such thing.

I'd be much happier with the "Core Set Filler" pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
karagh wrote:
I think they won't publish such thing.

I'd be much happier with the "Core Set Filler" pack.

You're right that they won't publish that either. The game works without the extras (albeit not AS WELL). I'd say use proxies if you want them, a lot of folks do, and it's not like there's a competitive format for this (I mean technically there is, but it's more of a race than squash your opponents).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I really had to beg FFG for something I wouldn't go for an errata pack. I don't mind about erratas unless I get stuck because I don't what to do when playing. Other than that, I'm not the kind of player to build recursive and infinite decks so the erratas like "limit one per turn" I don't mind either... and as someone told earlier, nobody's gonna check if I'm following the rules and the last erratas.

A completion pack for the core set would be fair to player I have to admit it, but as I have 3 core sets...

No, what I would get on my knees for is one Deluxe Expansion (or two or three for that matter) or a mega Deluxen Expansion with only player cards.

I like the way the game is going since a few months:
- designers are developping traits and give each one of them a distinctive ability, it's realy fleshing out the theme. Hobbits were the first, Rohan two and Silvan now.
- they're developping skills archetype: Rangers and upcoming Mount or Scout
- they're developping playstyle archetype like Secrecy, Ranged or mono-sphere

So what this game lacks in my opinion is a HUGE influx of player cards, giving a huge boost to deck building.

I'm convinced that people would buy that considering there are already 40 scenarios to play with and infinite replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
banania wrote:
If I really had to beg FFG for something I wouldn't go for an errata pack. I don't mind about erratas unless I get stuck because I don't what to do when playing. Other than that, I'm not the kind of player to build recursive and infinite decks so the erratas like "limit one per turn" I don't mind either... and as someone told earlier, nobody's gonna check if I'm following the rules and the last erratas.

A completion pack for the core set would be fair to player I have to admit it, but as I have 3 core sets...

No, what I would get on my knees for is one Deluxe Expansion (or two or three for that matter) or a mega Deluxen Expansion with only player cards.

I like the way the game is going since a few months:
- designers are developping traits and give each one of them a distinctive ability, it's realy fleshing out the theme. Hobbits were the first, Rohan two and Silvan now.
- they're developping skills archetype: Rangers and upcoming Mount or Scout
- they're developping playstyle archetype like Secrecy, Ranged or mono-sphere

So what this game lacks in my opinion is a HUGE influx of player cards, giving a huge boost to deck building.

I'm convinced that people would buy that considering there are already 40 scenarios to play with and infinite replayability.

and the designers have said they won't do this, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Maier
msg tools
I would love player cards only packs and a completion set.

On the matter of errata packs, in Germany we just got on the doorstep with a huge delay. but I think it was because they printed like 20 cards from over the hill and under which were errataed (translation mistake).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.