WJ MacGuffin
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hello everyone, and welcome to the Saudi No Dice No Magic Small and Cheap" game recommendation game! (SNDNMSaCGR Game) My name is WJ MacGuffin, and I'm a gamer who moved to Saudi Arabia a few months back. Now that I've finally settled in and figured out how the postal system works here, I'm ready to buy a few games and mail 'em here. (I had to leave my library at home.)

But ....

It's not that simple! You see, there are several problems with gaming in a highly-conservative Muslim desert nation. Hence, the SNDNMSaCGR Game!

Here's how to play. Make a game recommendation that falls within the following categories:

- Nothing with magic, as that's a real concern here. (Accusations of sorcery carry legal weight.)
- Nothing with dice, as it smacks of gambling, which is illegal.
- No CCGs. (Pokemon is illegal, as it's apparently part of the worldwide Zionist conspiracy. Therefore, all CCGs are illegal.)
- Something small. (Shipping a used 6x9 paperback from Amazon costs $17.00. Shipping Twilight Imperium would break my bank.)
- Something cheap. (Packages sometimes simply disappear in the Saudi postal system. Usually, it's because censors take offense at something and destroy the package, so I can't risk losing an expensive game.)

Bonus points for recommendations good for non-gamers, as my flatmates have never played anything beyond Cluedo.

Ready? Set? Go! (Please? It's rather boring over here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this quite interesting, then found that someone else in a similar situation to yours got some pretty good replies here: http://videogamegeek.com/thread/991166/soon-to-be-expat-movi...

"Make sure the box(es) that include your board games mention "Games" or "kids Games" on the packing list", but then when the guy actually got to the country: "I packed several games in my luggage and got thru customs, no problem. They just x-rayed my bags. I also went to the mega mall in Dharan and toy stores there sell all the classic sorts of games: checkers, chess, backgammon, monopoly, scrabble, clue, etc. etc.. So, the no game thing, not so much. "

Hopefully you can get some good recommendations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is possibly the most interesting recommendation thread I've ever answered:

Based on your restrictions, you're going to get a fair amount of filler games:

For Sale - Auction game.
Modern Art - Auction game.
Hanabi - Co-op game.
Friday - Solo, deck-building game.
Battle Line - 2p, battle card game.
Piñata - 2p card game.
Unnamed Object - Press-your-luck game. No dice; no magic.

Games with a little more meat:

Sail to India
Spyrium - Shoe-box-sized box. Same designer as Caylus. Plays 2-5 players.
China - The box has big W-H dimensions, but its depth is shallow. So small box here is relative. There's a great game inside.
Glory to Rome - Card game for 2-5.
Innovation - Card game 2-4 (recommended with 2), same designer as Glory to Rome.
Pax Porfiriana - Very heavy card game. Quite possibly the heaviest game in a small box there is.
Carcassonne - This is a gateway game that scales well. It's more than a filler because it plays a little longer. But still very light.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S J
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Fantasy is out (basically)... what about Sci-Fi? Cause Race For The Galaxy is both cheap and will scratch that CCG itch you can't have otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Karjalainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S J
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sturner wrote:
Could you use a dice rolling app to get around the dice restriction?

Sounds dangerous. If they consider the mere presence of dice "gambling" then I don't think they're going to care if its digital or physical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having lived in Saudi for a number of years, I feel your pain. Games I would recommend are:

Lighter Games
Fleet - Very small package and the theme is shipping.
Coloretto - Gecko themed again with a small box.
Go - Abstract. Very simple pieces.
Innovation - You may want to seek out the earlier edition with this one. Not sure how the art is with the new edition.
Friday - Nice solo game where the art focuses on Robinson Crusoe.
Lost Cities - This may be a stretch, so I would recommend looking through the artwork.

Heavier Games
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization - Very little art with this one. Game is compact thought it is a bit on the heavy side.
The Castles of Burgundy - Again minimal art and small box. Forgot that it has dice...
Hansa Teutonica - Another drab looking guy on the cover.
Winsome Games - If you like train games, most games by Winsome will work other than Locomotive Werks.

So, basically you need to seek out games with a bored looking guy on the cover. Never realized how many games have an alcohol or religious theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abrocker wrote:

The Castles of Burgundy - Again minimal art and small box.

This has dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi - 30 cards. 11 card tokens. no words, just abstract firework pictures.

Jaipur - 50ish cards, 30ish tokens, pictures of camels, leather and rubies. and a man in a turban.

Neither are very heavy but they are small to ship.

Not relevant in your timescales, but I jumped on my first Kickstarter today - Province, $7 delivered worldwide (in May this year) for a diceless euro on a beermat sized board. Can also be print and play... and hey...

PRINT AND PLAY. Zero shipping / inspection... right? They can't ALL suck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.thebookdepository.co.uk/ has free shipping worldwide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive or Hive Pocket

Carcassonne would probably work too so long as it is not a gigantic big box version (some of the smaller big boxes might be okay) and steer clear of certain expansions (Princess and the Dragon I'm looking at you).

EDIT:

Through the Desert could work too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy a pack of cards and play poker...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing Love Letter wouldn't fly in the Kingdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrocker wrote:
thedacker wrote:
Glory to Rome - Card game for 2-5.

Make sure that this is the Black Box edition. The standard version would not be acceptable.

Why?:

I'm not doubting you, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the different restrictions here. I actually thought that because the original edition had such cartoony, childish-looking artwork that it would be acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Make sure that this is the Black Box edition. The standard version would not be acceptable.

Some of the non-English editions have mild cartoon nudity (butts, breasts concealed by long hair), but what's wrong with the standard edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone explain why Pokemon is associated with some kind of conspiracy? How did that come about?

Edit:
Quote:
In 2001, the Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, who is the highest religious authority in the kingdom, issued a fatwā banning the Pokémon franchise, claiming it encourages gambling and promotes Zionism. High Muslim authorities in Qatar and Egypt then joined the ban. As this happened during the second Intifada, a Jordanian newspaper printed a caricature of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon sitting in a tank and laughing at an Arab man chasing a Pokémon. This is meant to convey that Arabs are distracted from their conflict with the Israelis by popular franchises, with Pokémon as an example of such "distractions."
Despite the initial banning, which quickly wiped away Pokémon merchandise (especially the card game) from markets in Saudi Arabia, Pokémon video games quickly returned to be sold normally, but under much less demand from local consumers. Some Pokémon merchandise such as the Expedition Base Set reappeared in stores a few years later, but newer sets were never brought. Generation III and Generation IV games seem completely unaffected by the ban.

and ...
Quote:
"The religious edict issued over the weekend said the Pokemon video game and cards have symbols that include "the star of David, which everyone knows is connected to international Zionism and is Israel's national emblem".

The kingdom's senior cleric, Sheikh Abdul Aziz bin Abdullah, protested that most of the cards figure symbols such as "crosses, sacred for Christians and triangles, significant for Freemasons".

And he charged that the worldwide phenomenon of Pokemon launced in Japan in 1996 was a bad influence.

"It resembles a game of gambling because of the competition which at times involves sums of money being exchanged between collectors of the cards" Sheikh Abdul Aziz said."

Other games that might be ok:

Asara, it's building towers, no dice
Pocket Hive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrocker wrote:

Innovation - You may want to seek out the earlier edition with this one. Not sure how the art is with the new edition.

Not sure what is meant by this? There is nothing "magical" or anything involving dice rolling or (AFAIR) alcohol in the base game. {goes off to look through cards...} ... and back. One card is for "Fermenting" with a picture of grapes. There is also a card for communism with a picture of Karl Marx. Not sure if either of these would cause problems.

Another game that is easy to play with non-gamers is 6 nimmt!. No card art; very light" and cheap to replace. A staple of mine with church groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks! (contains tokens, but they represent negative points, better alternative, see below)

6 nimmt! (goes by many names, download the rules for No Thanks shown above, pull e the required cards from the Cat 5 deck and play No Thanks using matchsticks or w'ever for the tokens)

Pacal also uses the take 6 deck

Cities inexpensive, maybe have someone repackage it smaller than the box (which isn't huge) plays solo or up to 4, can play 8 with another game. Multiple levels of difficulty. Would look like a kids puzzle to inspectors.

IOTA tiny, cheap, kinda like qwirkle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
Can anyone explain why Pokemon is associated with some kind of conspiracy? How did that come about?

Other games that might be ok:

Asara, it's building towers, no dice
Pocket Hive

This also interested me and so I looked it up. BBC news in 2001 report: Saudi Arabia's mufti, the highest religious authority in the conservative Muslim state, has banned the popular children's play of Pokemon, saying it promotes Zionism and involves gambling.

The religious edict issued over the weekend said the Pokemon video game and cards have symbols that include "the star of David, which everyone knows is connected to international Zionism and is Israel's national emblem".

The kingdom's senior cleric, Sheikh Abdul Aziz bin Abdullah, protested that most of the cards figure symbols such as "crosses, sacred for Christians and triangles, significant for Freemasons".

And he charged that the worldwide phenomenon of Pokemon launced in Japan in 1996 was a bad influence.

"It resembles a game of gambling because of the competition which at times involves sums of money being exchanged between collectors of the cards" Sheikh Abdul Aziz said

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1243307.stm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1243307.stm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would make sure none of the symbols on any game have religious connotations, after reading about the Pokemon incident. It's an interesting thread. I think it is going to depend on the local authorities and how they feel about things, as well as customs when you enter the country. That was dumb, you are already there ... but maybe they inspect packages in the mail? Ok, I need more coffee, stat ... obviously, they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hale
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eight-Minute Empire: Legends would do the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if an otherwise acceptable card game has disallowed images, an ArtsCow retheme might be the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lee
Switzerland
Near Zürich (Kloten)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend you following games (a star for a game I would personally buy first):

Bohnanza
Hanabi
Such a Thing?
Jungle Speed
Love Letter
Ligretto
No Thanks!
Tichu (But play it wih a regular deck!)
6 nimmt!
Hive
Jaipur

Not sure because of the theme:
Coup
The Resistance
Citadels

A bit bigger box than requested
Chinatown

Hope they will fit your criterias!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi is a great game that meets all your requirements along with being thematically perfect for your location. Actually I'm pretty surprised it wasn't already mentioned. The only caveat is it's only a 2-player game, but I didn't see any requirements as to how many players you need to support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.