Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
Shunning Bandersnatches Daily
badge
Gamer Girl: "I've Touched Boob Today"
mbmbmbmbmb

THE BEST OF FIGHTS IN TIGHTS

The Gaming Renaissance has seen the capes come to town in the past year. DC Heroes, Marvel Legendary, Heroes of Metro City - it's like the Fortress of Solitude finally melted due to global warming and a flood of spandex has finally begun to wash ashore.

BUT before the coming of Storm to the tabletop (and unless you knew someone that had Capes and Cowls locked in a safe in their gaming den) - the heroes at Greater than Games did Capes. They did it well.

The Sentinels of the Multiverse still stand strong and proud - the first and best in the Cardboard Cape Cavalcade.

DC, Legendary, and Metro each bring something to the table in their own right - but at the heart, they are DECK BUILDERS. You are scrabbling about on a turn jigsawing together a 'team' card by card.

Sentinels is a DECK PLAYER.

Each hero is based on a 40 card pre-constructed deck. Your play style, theme, and variable powers are set before the game even begins. You are that hero - undiluted.

And Sentinels brings the heroes.

Between the extensive base, the 3 'booster' type expansions, and the latest mega Vengeance set, you can basically pick your favorite hero from the Paneldom, scrub off their name and find them represented somewhere in the extensive roster of decks.

And each archetype plays out just like you think they would through each deck's unique mechanics. Speedsters can take on multiple targets with short attack bursts and avoid retaliatory damage. Tanks can dish out and absorb. No one feels samey - the Rage Tank plays far differently than his Brother in Armor. Even more esoteric heroes like Mentalists and Arcanists are represented in the Multiverse - each with their own play style.

The same goes for the Baddies. Each Villain you fight is represented by their own unique over-sized card with their own play style and powers. Each villain comes with their own deck of minions, schemes, and powers that your heroes must deal with turn by turn, card by card. Twisted Geniuses, Tricksters, Dark Gods, and Joykills are all represented. They don't pop up every now and again with a 'Remember Me?' - each turn the Villains bring something to the Tabletop Metropolis for your heroes to face.

Sentinels is co-op at its best. Each round you are working together, deciding who needs to do what to stop the madness you confront. A successful game relies on heavy interaction and table talk and working together to be the best team of heroes you can be. Sentinels 'ssemble!

Co-op is the name of the game because this one can kick you in the spandex if you aren't careful. Replay is high and Greater than Games ranks each Villain and Hero deck on complexity so you can fine tune your challenges and play your way through the learning curve which at a basic level is negligible. They even have a nifty Achievement Sheet on their website to help you set-up situations and scenarios mirroring those of the Pages and Panels so you can take a stab at them yourself - Sentinel style.

A good cape romp lets you play at being heroes. Sentinels lets you BE the hero and that's why it soars above the rest.

SENTINELS 'SSEMBLE!!!!!!!!

The Hai Mind Ranking: 10/10

[*** END TRANSMISSION *** ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 'Sugar & Spice & D-20 Dice' Review Chatter: Sentinels of the Multiverse
I've only played a couple of games so far (at a buddies game night) but every good review I read, like this one, only make me wish that I chose overnight shipping on my order. Can't wait to sink my teeth deeper into this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hai Kulture
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deltron Zed wrote:
...only make me wish that I chose overnight shipping on my order. Can't wait to sink my teeth deeper into this one.

I've been known to accost the postal service on occasion I can get very expectant mother waiting on the stork when it comes to my Game Babies.

It will be worth the wait - trust me! The Multiverse has depth, character and replay value. For a comic fan - it is like donning a very comfortable cape and walking through a title that has been running for years.

There were so many reviews about Sentinel Mechanics and Gameplay I just wanted to muse about what makes it stand out and keeps it solid , not only as a game but also a cape tribute. With all the expansions, the Multiverse just keeps on growing.

I suppose this wasn't so much a 'review' as a 'love note' blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read quite a few reviews that bog themselves down with a lot of explanations of the rules. That's why I liked your approach. You touch a little on how it works without reprinting the game manual... enough to capture the basic mechanics.

I think more visceral reactions to games can sometimes be downplayed in a review or left out altogether. Those reactions can often be what sells me on a game, increases my excitement or warns me off a game that I have doubts about. How good is this game for capturing my attention and making comments like, "its eleven-thirty ALREADY" more likely.

Even with just a couple of games under my belt I can see how differently each hero/enemy plays out and what potential the game has for absorbing me into its microcosm. Not just the heroes and anti-heroes create this depth but the idea of the locations blew me away too. We have the stage and the actors, now the play's the thing... as soon as my package gets delivered.

*looks at clock... at the calendar... sighs*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hai Kulture
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deltron Zed wrote:
We have the stage and the actors, now the play's the thing... as soon as my package gets delivered.

*looks at clock... at the calendar... sighs*

That was well put - the job of a good game is to set the stage and create the parts so the play captures your spirit and imagination.

What exactly are you expecting in this 'bundle of joy'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, just the base, enhanced, second edition of the game. I played a couple of games at a friend's game night and put my order in ASAP. Gaming on a budget. I read a lot of posts by people who buy add-ons, expansions and special,ultra-limited edition schwag... everything at once. If I judge correctly, there will be plenty of material for me to chew up and digest before I start foraging in the kitchen for seconds. I am sure that seconds will be had... but in due time. And maybe some wine. I'm not sure how the wine fits in with the metaphor but wine should always fit in somewhere.

In just talking about the game with friends, I already have some local hero-types curious about the game. I'm sure the base set will be devoured before I know it. All the same, I like to savor a meal.

*swivels his cape around to function as a bib*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hai Kulture
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL. Yup. The Multiverse is a Plentiverse And I understand about gaming on a budget I never had to really adhere to a gaming budget until I discovered Kickstarter.

The Base has plenty to chew on - all the archetype heroes are represented in the set - and a good assortment of Vills to chew you up and spit you out.

The expansions pretty much conform to a 2 Hero/4 Vill rule. The expansion heroes are a bit more esoteric, so it is good to get your cape wet first anyway. I would turn to an expansion when you feel it time to get a new batch of Villains to play around with.

Don't forget about the happy helpful app on the >G site and the Challenge/Scenario sheet will help you get even more mileage out of the base.

http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/downloads

May your tights come in the mail soon good Sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It came, unexpectedly, this same day! It was two days early despite the snow storms ravaging the area (Maine). Spent some lovely time this evening punching out cardboard tokens and organizing the cards in the box. I love this part almost as much as actually playing the game. Without much more time or any company at all tonight, I just keep opening the box to rifle through the cards and dream of the slew of adventures to come.

Oh and thanks for the tip on the Challenge/Scenario sheet. Bonus fun!

*pulls tights on, looks in the mirror and decides to go with an armored costume for the time being* blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hai Kulture
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL YAY! Welcome to the Multiverse!

I know what you mean about unpacking and sorting. In our house, that's my job. I have a slight case of 'OCD precision, so I get to punch, sort, bag, and tag the new games. I think it is much a part of the 'gaming addiction' as playing. The new game smell, poking about all the new pieces, checking out the cards - it creates a high of ANTICIPATION.

The Challenge sheet is fun. They use to have printable hit point counter sheets and once sold health tracker cards for the heroes. Apparently, everyone hated them (I love them because they had original art), so they went with the App and I have collector items. *shrug*

I tried to play solo once, managing four decks and open tabling my hands, but it didn't have the same charm. (We have been getting battered with snow and then freezing into mounds of ice here in PA.) I hope the thaw comes soon for you, Mud Season I believe it is called (after this winter I am jumping into the first mud puddle I see as a celebration on Spring), so you can get out of the bunker and be Bunker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deltron Zed wrote:

In just talking about the game with friends, I already have some local hero-types curious about the game. I'm sure the base set will be devoured before I know it. All the same, I like to savor a meal.

Agreed. When Sentinels launched at GenCon in 2011 there were people at the booth asking about expansions and I found myself thinking I was exciting for expansions _eventually_ but the core game has 578 cards and that is certainly plenty for a long while.

Please note, if you don't know already, that most of the characters and stories for Sentinels of the Multiverse were determined before the core game was published. Have fun wondering about the characters shown and quoted that aren't introduced in the core game. Many if not all of them get introduced later. Also, note that every picture on every card comes from a known event in the Multiverse, though the quotes in the cards don't always line up with the event being portrayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that some decent back story really shows in the playing of the game. With only a short experience with the game so far, I already have a sense of how different each character feels to play (or play against) and that there is a story built around them as fleshed out as, say, a comic like Fables.

I am one for doing things in order and a bit of a pleasure delayer so base set first. I am excited enough to work my way through that, grok it fully, and am confident that I will still be hungry for the expansions later. I am just an egg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deltron Zed wrote:

I am one for doing things in order and a bit of a pleasure delayer so base set first. I am excited enough to work my way through that, grok it fully, and am confident that I will still be hungry for the expansions later. I am just an egg.

You may or may not be aware that there is an end envisioned for Sentinels of the Multiverse. A few more expansions and they will stop creating new content. The stories will be told.

I am excited to share, however, that the designer of Sentinels of the Multiverse is designing a different game set in the same Multiverse, Sentinel Tactics, that uses many of the same characters, but at a point in time after the stories of Sentinels of the Multiverse. Christopher has said that there will be as much story in Sentinel Tactics as there is in Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Sentinel Tactics was previewed at GenCon 2013, and JUST TODAY the first version of print and play materials were made available on the Greater Than Games Playtest forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hai Kulture
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arenson9 wrote:

I am excited to share, however, that the designer of Sentinels of the Multiverse is designing a different game set in the same Multiverse, Sentinel Tactics, that uses many of the same characters, but at a point in time after the stories of Sentinels of the Multiverse. Christopher has said that there will be as much story in Sentinel Tactics as there is in Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Sentinel Tactics was previewed at GenCon 2013, and JUST TODAY the first version of print and play materials were made available on the Greater Than Games Playtest forum.

LOL I was going to give a wicked hint about Sentinels Tactics at the end of my Review musings, but erred on the side of caution.

I caught wind of it a ew months back and have to say await any and all news with anticipation. From what I heard - it is a tabletop skirmish game of epic proportions

Most importantly I wish I had a better inkling of the KickLaunch and pledge levels so I can start socking away now LOL

Any information I have gathered from >G is a neither confirm nor deny - but I have an idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as an update here... finally worked out a time with my bud to get a game going. Had him play two heroes, myself one and I worked the board. We both had a blast, first, taking down Baron Blade in the heart of Megalopolis and then being driven off the Mars Base by Warlord Voss. The two games were perfect together as one had us going for a straight-forward pounding of the Baron and the other trying to juggle Voss's minions and still bring him down a few pegs. We got Voss to just about half life before Fanatic (my hero) finally met her maker.

Losing didn't hurt our pride at all. It was great fun struggling to get as far as we did. And at the end of all things we could see some places where our strategy could have been tighter and worked better had we chosen slightly different options in battle. Now with four sessions under my belt I only love this game more. AND I was able to recruit my buddy against the forces of evil as he loved the game as well and can't wait to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hai Kulture
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha! I'm glad you are having so much fun with the game Ian. Baron might be the 'cut your teeth' villain now - but he becomes a force to be reckoned with in future incarnations *hint hint* *YEOWCH*

I think two of the reasons why Sentinelshas so much love and longevity you've discovered for yourself.

A) Since each deck has a different feel and play style and it isn't just 'punch punch punch' with different art work - there is always something new to try or a new trick to discover even in a favorite deck. Coupling that with how different the villains play also and in different environments- there's just so many combinations - good and bad. Some heroes might have their work cut out for them in a given game and next time it is a feel good cakewalk. Should Dr. Strange go up against Juggernaut? Errrrmmmm...nope, but a dark part of me definitely would like to see it. Welcome to another layer of Sentinels.

B) This is one of my favorite parts of Sentinels. Losing. LOL.
Sure wins are filled with 'Woohoo' and pats on the cape. 'Almost got ems' feel just as good sometimes and even a slaughter has its moments. Working as a team, a loss feels like limping back to HQ. I love analyzing 'we could have done this or that' or 'when he did this it was all over' because that's another part of being a hero. Perfecting your powers or perfecting your game to be the best hero you can be. Heroes sometimes lose and learn from their mistakes.

The best part of not winning the day and a quick HQ chatter about what went wrong, one of my favorite words in the Multiverse: REMATCH!!!!!!

Anyway, glad you are having a blast - I told you that Base Set was plenty of fun and now you have a dynamic duo of your own. The Multiverse really sucks you in by making you feel a part of it.

Cape up and keep flying! Sentinels 'ssemble!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls