Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the v3.0 rules, I noticed that there seems to be a control chart for cavalry, and that the mandatory advance after combat isn't necessarily mandatory depending on what you roll.

I'd like to use this rule, but my second edition Waterloo 20 game doesn't have the required chart. Is there a printable version I can use with Waterloo 20, or can someone just post a link to a picture so I can jot it down to use in my games?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the VPG website, access the page for one of the more recent Nappy20 releases (Danube20 or Fuentes de Onoro20 are good candidates) and open/copy the file for the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lance,

I looked through the rules for both Danube 20 and Fuentes de Onoro 20, but I didn't see the control chart. Any other idea where I might be able to find it?

Thanks,
steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve,
I believe Lance might be mistaken about the chart being in the Rules. In the rules it is mentioned and explains how Heavy Cavalry must modify the die roll by -1. But does not actually list the Chart or Table. It might be on the Reference Chart. However, it is a very simple chart which is as follows:

CONTROLLED ADVANCE TABLE
Roll one six-sided die:
If result is 1-3 "Control is Lost" (At least one Cav. must advance.)
If result is 4-6 "Control Maintained" (Player has option whether to advance or not.)

This die roll is modified (-1) if Cav. has a combat strength of 2 or more. (It being harder to maintain control of Heavy Cavalry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thank you!

So while I have your ear, I'll ask if you use this rule. Do you think it makes the game better? (everything is still theoretical with me as I haven't played yet.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I DO use the rule. I don't think it necessarily makes the game better if you are using the word "better" to define either "fun factor" or the "balance" of game play. But I do believe it adds some historical reality. When cavalry made a charge it sometimes got carried away in the pursuit of retreating units, and was difficult for its commander to bring it back into control or order. For example, during the battle of Waterloo the British cavalry made a successful charge that shattered a French infantry attack. But then, to quote from Chandler's book, The Campaigns of Napoleon:

"Overexcited by their success, the British cavalry failed to rein in and re-form, but plunged on across the valley toward the massed French battery. Although the guns were reached and many artillerymen sabered, this charge was extremely foolhardy. Napoleon .. .then launched a strong force of fresh lancers and cuirassiers against the weary and disordered ranks of British cavalry."

So I like to use this rule just to add some chrome to the game. As a player, when I make a cavalry charge, I am not always going to have absolute control of my cavalrymen as to whether they can hold back or possibly pursue too far, which might render them vulnerable to a counterattack by my opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.