Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had five players, two who were new to the game. This is one my wife likes and my niece's husband was keen to try it. I generally don't like to play this because of the game length. I think four players is better and knocks about an hour off the game.

The game got off to a rocky start for my niece. She was pursuing a trade goods/income engine strategy and going after ships. The second turn she accidentally put her last worker in the Discovery box and lost the battle . She later said she was feeling rushed to play. She never really recovered from that mistake and as a result, said she didn't like the game. It would be a bummer to miss out on a crucial piece because you mistakenly placed your worker in the wrong box.

My wife colonized and did a good job. I ignored colonization altogether, going after wealth instead. I'd send a merchant to a new land now and then just for the cash, but that's it.

It was a close game until my niece's husband decided in the late turns to see what he could do with soldiers. He ended up killing about 15 of my wife's colonists. She was a good sport, but it bothered her a little. In all the games we've played, warfare usually gets ignored. Since she was the only one really colonizing, it hurt her a lot.

I ended up winning by about 8 points, but didn't really feel I earned it. My wife played the better game. I got a lot of points from my trade goods and wealth accumulation and stormed ahead in the end, but she lost majority in at least four colonies that would have made the difference.

Ultimately, I like the game but it's just way too long. We played for three hours and for what the game is, I just don't think it's worth that kind of time investment. It never felt like anyone was really dragging the game out either...people were playing fairly quickly. It's just a dang long game. I decided I won't play again with that many people.

My wife enjoyed it enough that she said she'd play again, even though the ending left a sour taste in her mouth. The player invoking warfare finished dead last, so her argument is that starting so many wars didn't help him much and only hurt her. She felt targeted and felt like I benefitted from her being decimated by the battles. I had to agree with her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that playing with 4 players is better. Sounds like playing with more experienced gamers would have helped also. Warfare usually doesn't show up until the last rounds in our games. However, we know to be on guard against it.

I never get the "it's too long" complaint though. I prefer long games vs short games. I enjoy the immersion and seeing how situations evolve and play out. For me many games end just when it's getting fun. I know not everyone has 3 and 4 hours to play a game. I just don't get that criticism of a game. If people don't have 3-4 hours to invest then they shouldn't start games that might take that long. But then I'm the one that plays Virgin Queen for 14 hours BGGCON. Also plays The Battle for Normandy for 16 months on Vassal. So maybe it's me....I'm just weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
I agree that playing with 4 players is better. Sounds like playing with more experienced gamers would have helped also. Warfare usually doesn't show up until the last rounds in our games. However, we know to be on guard against it.

I never get the "it's too long" complaint though. I prefer long games vs short games. I enjoy the immersion and seeing how situations evolve and play out. For me many games end just when it's getting fun. I know not everyone has 3 and 4 hours to play a game. I just don't get that criticism of a game. If people don't have 3-4 hours to invest then they shouldn't start games that might take that long. But then I'm the one that plays Virgin Queen for 14 hours BGGCON. Also plays The Battle for Normandy for 16 months on Vassal. So maybe it's me....I'm just weird.

The playing time on the box says 120 minutes and to me, that's what the game feels like it should take. I don't mind long games that I know are going to be long games. But I don't like the long games that FEEL long and feel like they SHOULD be shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Another User
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that the game wasn't well received; this is one of my favorite games and I break it out as often as I can.

There's a lot to think about in this game; I usually over-emphasize and over-teach the strategies to new players to try and smooth out the learning curve a little. I warn them about the buildings that are coming out, possible strategies, etc. But, there's no better way to learn strategy than to play...

I'm also wondering if focusing so tightly on one single strategy is always going to work well. Maybe it's more evident in 5-6 player games, but I've always seen the more balanced strategies work out well.

And, I've always played with 5 or 6 players (if you have an expansion set); the choices get tougher and it's a little more difficult to accomplish everything you want to. I think this might force a little more balance into your strategies, whereas if a building space or trade good space will always be available, it might seem that concentrating there is a workable path to victory.

Either way, I'm glad you got to play, and I hope the next one works out better now that the players have some experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldfan wrote:
There's a lot to think about in this game; I usually over-emphasize and over-teach the strategies to new players to try and smooth out the learning curve a little. I warn them about the buildings that are coming out, possible strategies, etc. But, there's no better way to learn strategy than to play...

I would adopt this method next time as well. I also would intentionally hinder players if possible. We drew lots and I ended up going first. I should have put myself in 5th spot. I grabbed the +1 Merchant building and I think maybe this would have been better served to go to someone else (in fact, there were some grumblings that I was getting too much money, which I am not sure was the case but I personally like this Age I building better than any other).

My niece had a rough start and got a little emotional about it. I think it affected how she felt about the game a little. I enjoy the game, but there are worker placement games I like better that play in half the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahlj wrote:
oldfan wrote:

I would adopt this method next time as well. I also would intentionally hinder players if possible. We drew lots and I ended up going first. I should have put myself in 5th spot. I grabbed the +1 Merchant building and I think maybe this would have been better served to go to someone else (in fact, there were some grumblings that I was getting too much money, which I am not sure was the case but I personally like this Age I building better than any other).

My niece had a rough start and got a little emotional about it. I think it affected how she felt about the game a little. I enjoy the game, but there are worker placement games I like better that play in half the time.

Your neice knew that putting a piece in the Discovery box doesn't mean she has to automatically send it to the New World; right? It's the only box that doesn't have to be resolved at the end of the turn.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.