Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I notice when luck doesn't go my way on a tablet, I get incredibly irate. I believe the term is "Rage quit."

When luck doesn't go my way on a boardgame, it's almost more enjoyable to fail catastrophically with people. "Oh man, Dave, you have horrible luck." "Ra, ra, ra!"

I notice this most often in the Knizia bidding games where I'm playing smart, but then either Ra doesn't come up and someone rakes-in a haul, or someone gets the varitable six-demon-bag in Medici.

...and the reinforcement die in Smallworld.

Anyone else notice this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder sign Omens man. Drives me nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hawkridge
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Its a psychological effect of others being able to see the emotions of your response. Social scientists have found a similar thing in Road rage; in a car we cannot see the other drivers and so we act more aggressively. However while walking on the sidewalk we generally are more courteous and avoid conflict.

This is another example as to why board games are so much better than electronic games, even electronic implementations of board games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more likely to do the opposite. Computer games I just think it sucks and lose interest.
With other people I'm more likely to get irate. You can see it in my face but I generally don't say much until end of the game or after company leaves. People make fun of me because they think I might flip the table one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Yes, the same phenomenon plays out when you're lost.
When you're with somebody, it can actually turn into something fun (unless you're going to be late for Somebody's best friend's wedding). But if you get lost alone, just think of all the cursing and misery...

Walk into a post while texting, and you can break out laughing uproarously--attracting all kinds of attention to yourself--with your friends, AND not forget about it for weeks or months. Do it on your own, and you're frantically looking around hoping no one (read "stranger") saw you, and you're probably not about tell anyone either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
Anyone else notice this?

It's simple: the tablet cheats. Or at least it sometimes feels like it.

The die feels random because no one is in control. But the tablet acts as both your opponent and your purportedly random die roller. If that were a person, you'd say that they had a bias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikky_H wrote:
Its a psychological effect of others being able to see the emotions of your response. Social scientists have found a similar thing in Road rage; in a car we cannot see the other drivers and so we act more aggressively. However while walking on the sidewalk we generally are more courteous and avoid conflict.

This is another example as to why board games are so much better than electronic games, even electronic implementations of board games!

Plus, if you want to sock someone in the face, they're already right there! So convenient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.