Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out about a new format that FFG will be running: drafts. They sell draft packs (4 packs, 10 cards each) that you draft cards from. There are "Rares" and "Commons". You add these to a base deck and because of the format you are allowed to have a deck that exceed normal rules (copies of cards, # of cards, etc).

But with those only really working for that one time you play it (you'd have to get back down to a standard deck before another draft night). Isn't this just a money grab by FFG? Have people been playing this or is this nuts in a LCG format? I'm thinking they are just trying to reel in the MtG crowd with the format.

Apparently the FFGC is running a draft on Wednesday. I have no interest (I've just played this game casually a couple of times), but it seems

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your post seems to have been cut off partway through...

Also, you're a few months late to the drafting party, it was announced probably close to half a year ago. I've yet to play it, but I'll answer what I can:

I wasn't aware that there are rares and commons, to any particular degree, although it'd make sense if certain cards are more or less common.

The cards you get can still be used in normal decks, provided they're sleeved (the backs are slightly different). That makes it not a waste of money, for people who don't have three of every card already and/or not every data pack.

The format was released probably as a mixture of a) being a way to make money (FFG is a company, their goal IS to make money, after all) and b) because people like drafting. This gave an official solution to something people were interested in doing and had done in unofficial ways before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when this was first revealed, there was a huge (and overwhelmingly positive) buzz on the BGG forums about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems Rick was flatlined mid-post.

RIP Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to take another run at this... actually I don't recall what I typed.

1 - I realize I'm late to the party. I also just now realized this game made it up to #5 in the rankings. Obviously very popular. So more ways to play, I guess I understand. Although with X number of Runners vs Y number of Corporations seems like it would already provide that variety. Plus an ever changing list of cards to choose from...

2 - Yes, I know FFG has every right to try to make money. I have no problem with that. And an 'official' way of doing something people already do is a fine way of them exploiting (not meant in a negative connotation) the fans. But I do think that considering the theme of this game any pot-shots at 'greedy companies' is completely fair game.

3 - If I was a huge Netrunner fan wouldn't I already have 3 (3s the max right?) of every card released? Drafting would get me a 4th or 5th copy of those cards which wouldn't make them worth anything to me... right? And wouldn't I have a deck that is maxed out so to speak so this draft method would just create 'overpowered runner deck' vs 'overpowered corp. deck' unless the draft pack didn't work for your deck? Or is that the point... to create decks that are versatile?

Just curious. Sorry if all this has already been covered, but when I started to search the forums I got a bit overwhelmed in the zillions of threads. And thanks for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG are releasing this due to the demand from stores. Draft is a huge money earner for them. Plus quite a few players enjoying drafting too. It's a very different way of playing than spending days and weeks tweaking a deck to perfection.

Many people (like myself) have more than one deck made up at a time, and I only have 2 cores so I don't have 3 of everything anyway so extras of many cards wouldn't be a bad thing.

It's just for fun. I'm planning to buy 1 set and just have a draft day and have my fun with it, but I doubt I will do much after that. If people don't want to have anything to do with it then they don't have to. You won't be missing anything card wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Party, Pal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to pay, you can always do a cube draft, which will only get richer as the card pool expands. And I'm sure FFG will throw some alt-art, or foils, or something to sweeten the draft pot. Assuming they're not stupid and don't hate free money.

... OK, so they might not have foils or alt-art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
I'm going to take another run at this... actually I don't recall what I typed.

1 - I realize I'm late to the party. I also just now realized this game made it up to #5 in the rankings. Obviously very popular. So more ways to play, I guess I understand. Although with X number of Runners vs Y number of Corporations seems like it would already provide that variety. Plus an ever changing list of cards to choose from...

It's a pretty varied game already, yes. But draft formats are interesting intrinsically for a lot of people. It's a whole different experience, you have to think about a lot of things you don't normally have to think about, and you get to see cards you don't ordinarily see, because they're considered underpowered. There's very little of that in Netrunner compared to, say, Magic, because with fewer cards and no rarity distribution to speak of there aren't many cards that are strictly better than other cards right now.

But nobody is playing Sentinel Defense Program, or Sherlock 1.0. Those are interesting cards, but there are more powerful alternatives available, and so they don't see play. The appeal of draft play for a competitive player has a lot to do with playing with cards that you don't normally play in constructed without feeling like you're just making a mistake. In Netrunner, there's also a dynamic of hidden information and surprise that's... modified, many would say harmed, by the existence of a reasonably predictable metagame, and that's not true in draft.

RiffRaff14 wrote:

2 - Yes, I know FFG has every right to try to make money. I have no problem with that. And an 'official' way of doing something people already do is a fine way of them exploiting (not meant in a negative connotation) the fans. But I do think that considering the theme of this game any pot-shots at 'greedy companies' is completely fair game.

Some people definitely think it's a cash grab. But it's not like there are cards in the draft packs that aren't in non-randomized data packs, and the cards that are in the draft packs aren't as nicely printed. It's not like we're chasing rares.

For what it's worth, I don't think FFG's planning on making very much money on the draft packs. If they were, I don't think they'd print them in-house on the machines they use for promos that have slightly messed up colors. If they wanted to push these things they'd get nice printing done, and put alt-art Desperados in one pack in a hundred.

They're certainly not losing money on them, but I'm pretty sure their plan is Draft Packs->Push the Netrunner tournament scene by letting stores actually make money on events->Increase the reach of Netrunner->Sell more Data Packs, rather than just making money from the draft packs themselves. Some people disagree, and that's alright, but there's no need to buy draft packs if you don't want to spend money on them, FFG's said outright that they'll never put tournament-legal Netrunner cards in randomized products.

RiffRaff14 wrote:

3 - If I was a huge Netrunner fan wouldn't I already have 3 (3s the max right?) of every card released? Drafting would get me a 4th or 5th copy of those cards which wouldn't make them worth anything to me... right? And wouldn't I have a deck that is maxed out so to speak so this draft method would just create 'overpowered runner deck' vs 'overpowered corp. deck' unless the draft pack didn't work for your deck? Or is that the point... to create decks that are versatile?

Yes. 3's the card limit for nearly every card. A few cards are limited to 1. It's not useless to have extras, though. You play three copies of Hedge Fund in nearly every corp deck, if you want to keep more than one deck built, it's convenient to have some extras. And not everyone has three of everything.

Everything released since the core set has come with three copies of every card, but the core set only has one or two of some cards, to keep prices down and make a better starter set. I've bought three core sets, but some people only have one, and those people can fill out some of their 1x and 2x cards from Draft cards. (Although they'll need to be in opaque sleeves, Draft packs have slightly lighter backs because of the printing process they use.)

My draft cards might be shuffled up and drafted again, or given to someone who's interested in the game but doesn't have cards of their own, or used in places where I use more than three copies across all of my decks, or used in my Cube, or just stuffed in a white paper box in my closet with all my extra cards from my extra core sets, and I'm personally okay with that. But it's a absolutely true that it's not economically efficient to buy Netrunner draft packs compared to drafting CCGs like Magic. It's pretty expensive, and there's much less demand for the cards after you're done.

RiffRaff14 wrote:

Just curious. Sorry if all this has already been covered, but when I started to search the forums I got a bit overwhelmed in the zillions of 2threads. And thanks for the answers!

These are fine questions. The forum search isn't particularly useful, don't worry.

If this is is something that interests you, you should know about Cube drafting. A Cube is a pool of cards that is shuffled, dealt facedown into "packs", and drafted. After the cards are drafted and the games are played, you put all the cards back in the box together and shuffle them up again next week. It's a more budget-friendly way to draft Netrunner with existing cards, it's very popular with some members of the community. You get a lot more control over what kinds of decks are good or bad in draft, and if you pay enough attention you can tune the balance to what you see as perfect, which is cool to some people and irritating to other people. There are some interesting things going on in the FFG packs that you can't do in cube (They have a semi-random distribution, rather than a truly random one, so every corp pack has at least one agenda, for example) but that's not that big a deal, and it can be fixed pretty easily by applying something like the Starter Packs in FFG draft to cube draft. There are a handful of actively-developed cubes under development, I know someone who posts a lot is a big advocate of the format, but I can't remember who.

TLDR: Some people really like drafting, some people don't want to spend money on packs, and that's fine, some people are annoyed at the very concept of randomized packs for some reason, even though it doesn't affect the distribution or pricing of the main game at all, and that doesn't make much sense to me, but, you know, whatever. If you like Netrunner and Drafting, but not spending extra money, build a draft cube!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thorough response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually live in Minneapolis, about 5 minutes away from the Fantasy Flight HQ. They have their Cyber War Draft Event tonight, which I believe is somewhat of a release party for their draft packs. I plan on going and I'll probably write a review/thoughts on the event sometime tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BreadRising wrote:
I actually live in Minneapolis, about 5 minutes away from the Fantasy Flight HQ. They have their Cyber War Draft Event tonight, which I believe is somewhat of a release party for their draft packs. I plan on going and I'll probably write a review/thoughts on the event sometime tomorrow.
Post a link to your write up here so we can check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Espinosa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2 of my friends in my local meta have enough duplicates of cards that they have made cubes. On multiple occasions we have done drafting as well as even played a Sealed version. I can tell you that it is awesome! Netrunner is my first card game as I have no interest in MTG. I had a blast playing this way and I don't think any of us were able to draft more than 2 copies of any powerful card because they are usually the first ones to get picked in any pack. One of the things that makes this so much fun is it is the ONLY way you will ever be able to play Netrunner with an NBN agenda and Jinteki agenda in the same deck.

I highly suggest playing this way sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Neuvost
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BreadRising wrote:

Looking forward to your reactions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I just got back from the Fantasy Flight Draft Event! Posted my thoughts/results here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14944009#14944009

Sorry if it's disorganized and full of run-ons. I'm quite exhausted and need to get up for work in the morning, so I'll probably end up editing it tomorrow; until then, I hope my report is a good insight to the Draft mode.

Ask me any questions you have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.