Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would appreciate some clarification of the following -

It is the second campaign round. French troops occupy Austria; an Austrian army is in Banat and a Russian army is in Bohemia.

The Coalition player plays Peace Talks and the Campaign marker is moved two spaces (to the 4th round). The French now play Talleyrand and convert Austria to a neutral country. The Austrian army is removed to the reserves and the Russian army retreats to Schlesian.

Assuming I have played this correctly, when can Austria be converted to a French ally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It cannot be converted from its neutral occupied status to French ally status unless you play a diplomacy card.

Note that technically the Talleyrand card that renders Austria neutral is played during the two rounds of Peace Talks, not after them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reason that the French player during those two rounds could not, if he or she had an appropriate card, convert Austria to a French ally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Not that I can remember for sure, although I have a vague memory of not being able to target the same country twice in the same diplomacy phase (or Peace Talks)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Everett
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played this great game in a while, but Renaud has ruled in the past that you cannot shift a country twice in the same diplomacy phase, i.e. play two cards to shift Austria to neutral and then French ally.

-Donald

p.s. One player aid I have goes so far as to state that the player going first must allocate all diplomatic influence cards first, and that second player may then play diplomatic cards to either counter the first player's card(s) or influence a different country. Not sure if this is correct, or if players alternate one-by-one in their card plays.

So not sure if France influences Austria--cancel by Coalition--and then France influences Austria a second time for successful conversion to neutral would be allowed or if France is strictly limited to one ATTEMPT per country per diplomacy phase...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
On the subject of timing of card play, I was wondering about the 'Royalist and Republican' card. if the Coalition plays it first then the Napoleon corps is removed, but can be immediately returned during the French reinforcement phase, thereby negating its effect.

Would it be reasonable to suggest that this card can be played after the reinforcements have been deployed, so that the effect cannot be cancelled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The card can be played at any time during the R phase including and logically after the French have reinforced.

On the subject of whether a country can be targeted twice and thus converted all the way, I've not found any rule to that effect, so whatever I ruled in the past might have been inappropriate, or maybe applied to the first edition. Keeping in mind the requirements to turn Russia, Prussia or Austrua into a French ally it won't often be possible for them unless you happen to have a corps in their capital at the time you turn them neutral, so it works mostly for Spain and the minors and that seems appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul:

Yes, it can be played on either half of the reinforcement phase - yours or your opponents. Obviously, if you reinforce first as the Coalition, you want want to wait until the French finished reinforcing and BEFORE the beginning of the campaign phase to play Repubs and Royalists to get the benefit of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald: the second edition rules say you CAN target the same country twice. However, players alternate play of diplomacy cards with the French deciding who plays a card first between 1805 and 1810 and the Coalition deciding who plays a card first between 1811 and 1815. If one side has no cards, the other player can play cards consecutively. The original rules, I believe, said you cannot target the same country and swing it two diplomatic levels. That changed with the version 2 rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Everett
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jim, for clarifying this for me!

-Donald

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has some tricky rules. I put it away after buying it because I considered the game too complicated (convoluted?). I was frustrated after reading through the rules two or three times. BUT...after a few years, I became interested in the Napoleonic era, remembered I had the game and pulled it out again. I decided to go on line to BGG to find an updated version of the rules, did find one, and committed to reading the rules and posting questions until I could understand and play the game. It was worth it, though I must say I worked harder on learning this game than any other. It is now my favorite game, but occasionally, complicated situations occur that require some careful thought to resolve. For example, see my latest post, "Bravest of the Brave: Interpretation Needed." It is a great game. It puts you in the time period and the components are the best looking of any game I've ever owned. Just beautiful. So hang in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.