Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Chou
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can find clear uses for all the other tactics, except Long Night. The three extra cards just isn't appealing to me, and it seems to be basically a consolation prize for someone getting From the Dusk ahead of you, or everyone picking 3-6 before you, so you might as well have the option of taking Long Night.

For turn order, I often consider deck size. If I'm larger than average, and I know I need an extra turn to get through my deck, then taking Long Night over From the Dusk is a risk. If I'm smaller than average, then I can create a speed threat by playing first and pushing the pace, so again I'd opt for From the Dusk. Maybe if everyone has the same deck size and I don't see an inherent advantage in going first in the round, I'd take Long Night.

I'd also consider what my opponents want. If it's clear that everyone wants 3-6, then I'd go ahead and bet on Long Night over From the Dusk, but to me the situations that justify that risk are minimal.

Perhaps I undervalue the strength of the three cards? It could be the difference between a useless and profitable last turn in the round. From that perspective, it's almost like a reverse Right Moment, where you go earlier, but you can squeeze out a pseudo-turn at the end of the round.

So as I wrote that, I started convincing myself its power is really in a much weaker Right Moment, but am curious about your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theillknight wrote:
I can find clear uses for all the other tactics, except Long Night. The three extra cards just isn't appealing to me, and it seems to be basically a consolation prize for someone getting From the Dusk ahead of you, or everyone picking 3-6 before you, so you might as well have the option of taking Long Night.

For turn order, I often consider deck size. If I'm larger than average, and I know I need an extra turn to get through my deck, then taking Long Night over From the Dusk is a risk. If I'm smaller than average, then I can create a speed threat by playing first and pushing the pace, so again I'd opt for From the Dusk. Maybe if everyone has the same deck size and I don't see an inherent advantage in going first in the round, I'd take Long Night.

I'd also consider what my opponents want. If it's clear that everyone wants 3-6, then I'd go ahead and bet on Long Night over From the Dusk, but to me the situations that justify that risk are minimal.

Perhaps I undervalue the strength of the three cards? It could be the difference between a useless and profitable last turn in the round. From that perspective, it's almost like a reverse Right Moment, where you go earlier, but you can squeeze out a pseudo-turn at the end of the round.

So as I wrote that, I started convincing myself its power is really in a much weaker Right Moment, but am curious about your thoughts!

I play mostly coop, so 'from the dusk' is mostly a non-issue for me.

Still, I think you undervalue long night. You compare it to 'right moment', but unlike right moment, it squeezes this extra turn with cards you didn't have. The right moment does not give you an extra turn, it just let's you take a your you already had at a different time. Basically, long night gives a thin deck the power of a thicker deck.

It is a poor choice if you already have enough cards. But if you can accomplish more with a 3 cards thicker deck, long night let's you do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, it's weak, but at worst you'll end up the second player in the round order. I've had great uses of Long Night and been unable to use Long Night, but on balance I've probably seen more benefit from it than Mana Search, which I used to favour.

I think it's well suited to 2nd place in the round order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Hilliard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also has the benefit that at the end of your round your deck will be somewhat stronger than at the beginning. Some of that will be from cards that you acquire through conquest and level up, but there's also the cards that will trim your deck down, increasing your average card strength. Then there's cards like Magic Talent - with this tactic you have the chance to use the spell the same round you acquire it. It does require a bit of luck, but being able to use even a single powerful card twice in one round can be quite valuable, especially in the first night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jacob törn
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its not just deck size that matters for selecting long night, also consider your hand size limit is it higher than your opponent?.

Am I going to a village or standing in a village? use the plundering interaction during another players turn to run through your deck faster increasing the likelihood of activating the tactic(so that you didnt waste picking it for nothing).

Am I standing near a keep I own or castle and my opponent is not? Did my opponent activate tranquility draw power or not?.

Do I have the motivation skill on my charachter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.