BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Can you recommend some card games for me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Tamayo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi BGG! I'm gonna buy a stand alone card game for 2 players and up this week so I want the best out there for my GF and my group to play, but unfortunately not all of us are card players so I consider some of the aspects that the card game has this..

- Super fun to play

- Very addictive

- Aesthetically inclined

- Quirky and simple game play

- New with not so many expansions (yet) because I want to collect whatever it is and I don't want to search every hobby shop because of obsolete or low quantity copy of expansions.

- Not boring (in terms of replay value).

- Compact and portable.

I'm considering this games already..

Smash Up
Blood Bowl Team Manager
Gloom

Please recommend some games for me.. Thanks in advance..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not personally a fan of Smash-Up but lots of people are and it seems to fit your list perfectly. That would be my choice for you.
Blood Bowl is a better game, in my opinion, but it's also a more complex game that may not be as fun and fast as you'd like.
Gloom is relatively simple but I find it's a game that gets old fast.
Dominion is the leader of card games (non CCG/LCG) and is both fun and addictive. It is not, however, in any way thematic.
7 Wonders is quite good, if your players can get around the scoring. And does have a great replayability factor.

Maybe as an additional option, please consider the social/deduction games as they are thematic, fun, addictive and cheap. Games like Love Letter, The Resistance and Coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Artdicted
Greece
Athens
Kallithea
flag msg tools
badge
ΓΙΑ ΤΑ ΚΑΣΚΟΛ ΠΟΥ ΕΧΟΥΝ ΠΑΛΙΩΣΕΙ...ΚΑΙ ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΤΡΕΛΑ ΠΟΥ ΠΟΤΕ ΔΕΝ ΘΑ ΤΕΛΕΙΩΣΕΙ
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolver

thumbsup for Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Dominion is the game for you. There are lots of expansions but they are readily available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas De Wolf
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
I am the Black Wizards
badge
My hammer listened to Amon Amarth and became Mjölnir
mbmbmbmbmb
A suggestion would be Yomi. It's a card game that simulates a fighting game like streetfighter.

It is fun and addictive to play, very aesthetical, compact and very easy to learn.
The game might look like a paper, scissors, stone variant at first but it goes a lot deeper, you'll be reading and predicting your opponent after a few games.
It does a fantastic job simulating a fighting game, it gives a kick to chain the longer combo's. And my gf, who doesn't play much boardgames, likes to play this one.
It's not cheap but you get all 10 fighters/complete decks if you buy the whole package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some don't like 2p Smash Up because one deck may overpower the other, possibly can be resolved by doing drafting of factions. A lot of text on the cards to be read, doesn't seem to be a problem after many plays.

Blood Bowl Team Manager gives me a more serious feeling than Smash Up.

Never played Gloom.

My recommendation:
Seasons a 2-4 player card drafting game which I mostly play 2p. Need some plays to appreciate card synergies like Smash Up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ascension Deck Building Game family of games might be a good fit. There are several sets out now but are all pretty readily available and I wouldn't say that any particular sets are required to enjoy it (other than at least one of the core sets).

EDIT:

Something of a different sort altogether (although still a card game) that is quite good and very portable would be Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash up is a good choice. Lots of variety and great replay value.

I would recommend:
Dutch Blitz (Simple, fun, addictive gameplay. Easy to learn and teach. Only 1 expansion right now, although there probably won't be any more because of the nature of the game. I play this a lot with my group, with family, and with friends.)

Battleship: Hidden Threat (Surprisingly fun gameplay. 2 players. Good replay value. Very different from the standard Battleship game. Has a good amount of strategy and luck.)

Quiddler (Very fun word game, a lot more fun than I expected going in. Simple, easy to learn and teach.)

Dominion (Some strategy if you play seriously. Fun. Good replay value. Lots of expansions, though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to recommend Battle Line and then I saw that you were considering Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game and I think that is a great choice in the same vein.

You can get a good taste of Ascension with Ascension: Apprentice Edition.

My final recommendation is Summoner Wars- one of the best 2 player versus games out there with a good mix of strategy and luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo
Battle Line
Biblios
Court of the Medici

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also going to recommend Summoner Wars. It's not that new (2009) and it does have more armies to buy, but all you need to get started is a Starter set. Super portable, especially if you just use the paper map, great replayability, and very addictive. Easy to learn and fairly cheap, too.

Cons: I can't recommend 4 player, you'll want to buy every army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.