Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to get a custom deck of cards printed - around 100 cards, artwork on front and back. I've seen the name "Artscow" tossed around on BGG in regard to this, but how exactly does it work with them?

- What format do I need the artwork in (not only file format, but also layout)?

- What is the approximate cost?

- Will they deliver to the UK?

Hints and tips appreciated!

P.S: I'm also asking all of this from Artscow themselves, but thought I would also get the input of people who have used them before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

I think I paid ~£10 for a deck of Zendo cards, though it may well have been less. It was a while ago now. Yeah, they deliver to the UK - it's sent from Hong Kong from memory. There's a Geeklist somewhere with a bunch of links to Artscow projects you can print off. If you have a look at them, you'll be able to see the format(s) used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used printerstudio in the past and was very pleased with the product. High quality finish, not used Artscow though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it looks like you have to upload each image individually, is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
In general yes you do. I had a common back which I uploaded and writing on the front of the card which I typed into the card template. However, if you want 50 or 100 different card fronts then you need to upload the images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used ArtsCow and Printer's Studio, and I would presently recommend PS well ahead of ArtsCow. The only advantage AC have is that people have shared decks for various different games up on their site already, but given that recently they're printing those decks in inconsistent colour and randomly cropping off the outside 5mm or so of each image (not even consistently through a single deck, it seems) I wouldn't count that too much in their favour.

bleached_lizard wrote:

- What format do I need the artwork in (not only file format, but also layout)?

JPEGs and PNGs are the only formats I've tried uploading, both sites took them fine. PS have some guidelines on image size and bleed margins linked to on their pages for each product, and if you stick to those you get pretty much perfect results... ArtsCow have a horrible Silverlight editor where you upload your image and scale/rotate it in their editor and then they ignore the preview and print something completely different for you.

bleached_lizard wrote:

Both sites have regular offers and voucher codes, and it's definitely worth looking around for them and/or waiting for one. PS have a free-shipping code 'KISS' at the moment, for example (until the 20th, I believe). A single deck in an offer period generally costs around $6-10.

bleached_lizard wrote:

Yes. However, ArtsCow ship from China direct, and thus you'll pay import duties on orders worth more than £15; Printer's Studio ship from Germany, and thus no import duties apply.

(PS have a German site at printerstudio.de, but costs to the UK are actually generally better from printerstudio.com.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried both manufacturers as well and definitely second PS. I'll never use ArtsCow again. Their quality/accuracy has really tanked imho (color consistency and edge-cut accuracy are my beefs as well). In addition, AC is just more expensive and doesn't offer higher quality cardstock, linen finish, or custom deck sizes.

PS for the win...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go Artscow, this thread helped me successfully make/print a few decks...
ArtsCow: pictorial how to guide to making a deck for a game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all!

What are approximate delivery times from PrinterStudio?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I received my cards in about a week of placing the order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.